Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to remove landscaping pegs

Posted by actionclaw (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 14, 11 at 9:40

Have a property with areas lined with landscaping timbers (railroad ties) held in place with iron pegs/posts driven through and into the ground. Now old and rotted timbers can easily be removed but the pegs are still holding fast.

I'd rather not use "dig along side and wiggle" technique; there are many of them and I have no idea how long they are. I'm about to try twisting loose with vise-grips then pulling out but looking for ideas for other better/more efficient "tried and true" removal methods.

Thanks for your suggestions

(If there's a more appropriate forum for this question, please suggest.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to remove landscaping pegs

How many inches do the pegs stick up?

If you have at least 2 or 3 inches, I'd scrape enough earth from immediately around the pegs so there's an indentation, then water the indentations very well. After that, whack the pins on 4 sides with a sledge hammer. If they don't wiggle, add more water.

I'm familiar with re-bar (and lead pipe) used to hold railroad ties and landscape timbers. Do your pins have the corrugated sides of re-bar? If not, how wide are they?

Are there any trees or shrubs that might have roots holding on to the pins?

o
RE: Best way to remove landscaping pegs

I think it goes something like this: take 5 foot long piece of 4" x 2" and cut a notch a foot from one end to accommodate the pegs. Slide this notch over the peg and rest the closest end of the 4" x 2" on the ground then lever up from the other end.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here