Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jollyrd

ideas for a clean canvass front porch

jollyrd
11 years ago

Greetings. I am interested in your comments re this group of plants -- overall color combination of this group; how it will look throughout four seasons; and what color should I chose for pots that I intend to use on the steps, to display seasonal annuals.

It is intended for the front porch area. The porch faces due east. The bed length - 25 ft, width (after it will be widened this fall to make more space) - 5 ft. The soil (clay mostly) will be improved with composted leaves, kitchen compost we make ourselves.

The only permanent plants in the bed are Lady In Red Hydrangea on the north side (by the steps) and Bergman's Gold on the south end (by the gravel driveway). They are doing great in those spots, been there for over 3 years, and are not going anywhere. So the line up from left to right would be: Bergman's Gold, Nandina, Elderberry, Rhododendron Capistrano, Beautyberry, Lady In Red Hydrangea. Lower level plants - color variations of coleus & verbena, repeated in multiples as needed.

I like purples and red of all shades, and some bright yellow. I can see later down the road adding some lavender, salvia, yellow alliums, some purple grassy plants, or other flowering plans - to fill in the void if any.

I have a grey rancher, burgundy shutters, white vinyl porch rails, wood stained porch. The house is elevated on the basement - so it sits about 3-4 ft above ground. The porch is held up with red brick columns, and the space between the columns is filled with brown vinyl lattice. After I widen the bed, there will be a pathway immediately in front of it - from the parking/driveway to the steps, - I will be using stepping stones - Tan Charcoal Portage Patio Stone.

[my last hope: please don't let the design guy see my post, LOL]

Comments (4)