Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering lily with pond fish in garage?

Posted by adriennemb z3/4 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 11 at 11:39

The water temp in the pond is dropping now with all the cool nights lately, down to 50-55F. This year, after a near total fish loss due to disease, I am planning on wintering the remaining 2 shubunkins, 4 baby comet fry, 5 minnows and trapdoor snails in a 50 gallon stock tank in my insulated but not usually heated garage. I will be putting in a bubbler for sure and also a heater if needed to prevent thick ice.
This is my first year trying this method of over-wintering - seems almost too easy...
Can I also put the cut-back water lily (Perry's Almost Black) as well into the same tank?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering lily with pond fish?

Sorry, wrong forum. Bumped to ponds :)

o
RE: Overwintering lily with pond fish in garage?

Not a bad a primer, though, for anyone who romantically envisions a fishpond in the summer garden... good luck!

Karin L

o

Thanks Karin. Ponding certainly has it's challenges but I love the life it brings into the garden :)

o

Do you have a heater for the pond?
If that remains on all winter, your fish should live.

Otherwise this idea should work - I would keep a small heater in tank in garage - just in case you get a hard long freeze.

o

Thank you plantman. The deepest part of my pond is just 28" so I think that I'll be going along with the heated tank in the garage. The weather forecast for the winter in this part of the world is supposed to be especially long and bitterly cold - so what else is new in Canada? Like saying that it's dark at night followed by lighter in the morning...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here