Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slope Planting

Posted by SeanPez none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 11:46

Hello All!
I have this slope in my front yard that i am trying to fix. I purchased 6 flower carpet roses, that i plan on planting. What can i do to fill in the exposed net areas, i wanted to use bark, should i use shredded bark or should i use nugget bark?

Any other ideas are much appreciated and welcomed!

Photobucket
Thanks!
Best,
SeanPez

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slope Planting

Hi, Sean. You could plant a wonderful medley of groundcovers and other perennnials that would not only prevent erosion but would be beautiful as well. What state do you live in and what direction does the slope face? I have a west-facing front slope that's even steeper than yours. I planted veronica, soapwort, groundcover roses, etc.
As for the mulch, I personally prefer shredded cedar. But I live in Colorado. There may be some other regional preference in your area.

o

Hi Blossom Designer,

I am glad that you prefer the shredded cedar because i have 4 bags unopened lying around! I will definitely use them as long as i wont have the problem of them slipping off the slope.

I am happy to hear that the ground-cover roses worked. I have been waiting to do my planting when it cools down here in California. It was 107 degrees on monday, and 105 tuesday.
Thanks for the idea about the veronica and soapwort. I will look into these and try to fill the slope with some of them!

Have a great day!
Best,
Sean

o

Shredded bark will knit to the jute netting vs the nuggets will probably roll down the slope.
In my N. Cal. area I have to check each individual city code as to if shedded bark is allowed or not. Certain fire marshalls do not allow the shredded redwood/ firbark to be installed due to its flammability.
When I get vetoed on the shredded bark for hillside installation I use a product called Forest Floor, which is actually a lot nice looking than the shredded stuff and it does not knit down so tightly that it sheds water .
We are also getting a great and inexpensive mulch product from some of the local resource recovery stations that is dark brown in color and sticks well to the hillsides. Big benefit is the cost - in some towns it is free, with the most expensive cost so far being at $ 20 a yd. ( beats shredded which is $ 40 a yard)

There are just way too many groundcover options to suggest ( if I am right in assuming you are in a temperate climate range of california )
From arctostaphylos to ceanothus to grevilleas and so so so much more. Literally there are hundreds to choose from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here