Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Newfangled paver base?

violetwest
9 years ago

I've got my yard dug out where I want to put pavers (link and pic below). I'm hoping to do this myself. Right now I'm choosing pavers and calculating amount of materials.

so, has anybody tried using these new manufactured paver bases? Such as Sakrete paver base (the one I saw at the box store). That would save me getting lots of gravel paver base (not sure it would save me money -- haven't done the math yet). I have 182 square feet here.

I'm kinda feeble (!) so it would save my back a lot.

Comments (7)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic and link

Here is a link that might be useful: ez paver base

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 12:31

• marcinde
    9 years ago

Honestly I don't know anyone with experience using those. The challenge is that no one wants to be the first contractor to try something like this when a) what they are using works, b) the numbers don't make using it a slam dunk (talking to guys it's pretty close to a wash once you balance out labor and materials differences) and c) they're 100% on the hook if the product fails.

It'll save you labor but you need to keep in mind that if this relatively unproven technology fails, you'll have to pull up and stack all the pavers, throw out the cut pieces (because a patio rarely goes back together like a puzzle), hope you have enough pavers left over from build #1 so you don't have to buy a whole pallet for cuts, remove and dispose of the sand and the mats, and THEN go through and excavate, bring in gravel, and do a standard patio install.

It's pretty easy to see why the pros aren't diving in. If you're ok with the possibility of failure (not saying if it's likely or not, there is literally ZERO long term data on these so no one knows) then it could definitely be a labor savings. Me, I'd be more likely to call the high school football coach and see if a couple of meatheads want to make some money.

Also how old is your home? If the pavers are going where you show in the photo, keep in mind that the first 7-10 feet away from the house is prone to settling for at LEAST five years, often longer.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

marcinde; thank you very much for responding. I think I'm going to go with regular paver base after doing the numbers. It may not save my back, but it will save me money -- those new thingies are not cheap.

Also, good point about the settling. My home is only 2 years old, so will still settle some probably. But I still have to put something down there as I'm getting very, very tired of dirt!

I'm planning to do it this weekend. I'm doing it myself, although I have labor help --will post pics when I'm done.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 11:10

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I don't know the specifics of your soil ... it almost looks like paver base, but your picture has me wondering if the depth is deep enough. (Here, one would need 6.5" - 7".) The thinner the base brings the likelihood that the patio surface will undulate over time. It's almost a certainty that bagged material will end up costing more. It might be worth it for the smallest project, but anything else would be better bought in bulk.

• marcinde
    9 years ago

don't regional differences suck? Depending on where you are, paver base can be called 3/4 minus, 21A, crusher run, ABC stone, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Standard is to use a mix that's 3/4" stone at the biggest all the way down to fines. And yes, coarse sand on the bedding layer. Fine sand is like a beach or play sand and is utterly worthless for a paver application.

Is your home slab on grade or do you have a basement? Makes a big difference in what it takes to hit undisturbed soil.

Agree with Yard on the bagged vs bulk - you'll pay through the nose for bagged. Every time I do a project at the house I debate bagged for convenience, and end up going bulk.

A middle ground could be super sacks, though. Not ever stoneyard offers them but what they are is a giant bag that holds about a ton of bulk stone. They fill the bags at the yard and bring them to you, either on a pallet or hooked in off a boom truck. The advantage is you don't have to clean up the driveway or the yard where a load was dumped and everything stays cleaner and tidier, useful on a DIY project where it may get done over several weekends.

The disadvantages are a small amount of material per each, and the cost. My supplier charges a refundable deposit per bag. Great in theory, but I have yet to figure out how to easily get my stone out without slicing the bags open.

Side note: you know how you know the people who run this forum are ridiculous? I moved my mouse a tad too far and moused over "Information about posting" and they monetized their own how-to-use-the-forum headline! Dear god that's like one rung above holding a cardboard sign at an intersection. Do we need to send warm clothes so they get through winter?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well, ya gotta make money somehow, and I'm it's expensive to run GW. And yes, it's very confusing for a newbie DIYer to make sense of differing terminology. For instance, around here we refer to very finely ground gravel as either "screenings" or "chat." I've yet to find the word "chat" in use elsewhere.

Slab on grade; no basement. Can't dig out any farther down close to the house because there's a concrete footing.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner