Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

How do I anchor my wind spinner?

violetwest
10 years ago

I bought a beautiful metal wind spinner. It's 84" high with a "dog-leg" or h-shaped stake base. I'm wondering what's the best way to anchor it?

Just sticking it in the ground is not going to work -- ground too soft and winds too fierce! Right now I have it stuck in a planter, which works okay, but I don't want it there permanently. I want to be able to move it if necessary.

I was thinking about putting it in a pot with gravel, rocks, or even bags of gravel placed around the base. Do you think that would work? or do you have other suggestions?

Comments (14)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you, but -- I don't quite understand what you did. You made a stand out of it (like a Christmas tree stand)? or you made the base longer, wider, or what?

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Wish I knew how to draw online. I'll assume yours has an inverted U shaped part that gets placed in the soil. (Not really a U, more an E without the middle line. If that's what you have, have lengths of rebar welded to the pieces that are meant to go into the ground, starting from the top. You could also have them add to the width of that part, which should provide more stability. If I'm not making myself clear, will try to explain further and maybe someone will draw it!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

How I interpret it is that it is like tines of a fork (stabbed into the ground) and the tines have length extensions welded on to them so that it penetrates deeper into the ground. (?)

(Wish I could pay for welding with brownies. Only a woman can do this and the welders must probably be male. What the heck ... maybe ... next time ... I'll try it and see what happens.)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol! yardvaark -- it's an idea!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually kind of like it stuck in the pot on its "temporary" position. Well placed to be viewed out the door

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

crap--sorry for the skewed pic. Was all excited that I figured out how to upload pics from my phone here . . . been having this problem with my iphone pics recently.

• Sarah Falls
    3 years ago

Anyone have any ideas how to fix the base of my wind spinner? The two pieces that screw together no longer screw together tightly and the wind spinner wobbles back and forth. The 2 pieces screw together, but don’t now since they are bent and stripped. I tried plumbers tape and it didn’t work. Thoughts?

• June Fletcher
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There's a product called Loctite that's made just for issues like this. Comes in several different formulations (removable and non-). Can buy through Amazon or big box stores.

https://eezee.sg/blog/whats-the-difference-between-colors-of-loctite-threadlockers/

• Helen Mcphillips
    2 years ago

We put PVC pipe over the pole and painted to match spinner worked for couple years but now its getting wobbly again😢

• callirhoe123
    2 years ago

Drive a long piece of rebar into the ground, deep enough that it can't move. Set the spinner next to it and tie them together. Problem solved.

• HU-993545567
    2 years ago

Im having same problem with wind spinner - threads are stripped and it will not stand up straight. Can a piece of rebar be added to center of poles since they are hollow?? Really want to fix it!

• HU-481247103
    last year

I bought a wood dowel rod at hardware store. I put the rod inside the hollow pole. then used electric tape to wrap around the stripped connection. You will want a rod that fits snug inside pole to avoid wobble. Since rod is wood it may need to be replaced each year or so.

• HU-772865148
    last year

I used metal fence stakes either side and then used plastic ties to secure all 3 rods together. Poles have not moved in 2 years despite 60mph winds.