Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janice742

Front of house overhaul

Janice742
10 years ago

Not sure why we never changed this, but I think we need to start from scratch.

We have a narrow lot (50 wide) with a front/side load garage. This space is in front of the garage.

We really like the brick on our home - and would like to expose it more.

The arborvitae are going for sure - I've never been a fan.

Should we keep any of the boxwood?

We are in Zone 5.

Once the plants are removed, is this something we can take on ourselves?

Front of house that needs the overhaul:

{{gwi:51127}}

here is the side of our home with much of the brick exposed. We are satisfied with how this looks but would be open to ideas for additional plantings:

{{gwi:51129}}

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

If those arborvitae would promise not to ever grow another inch, they are probably one of the few examples seen here not entirely already out of bounds.

I think, wanting to expose more brick precludes the boxwood from remaining (because we can see where they're going).

My solution would be a small, multi-trunk tree at each side of the house, with groundcover below. Maybe a patch of perennial centered below the windows. It could even be in a window box. Where the arborvitaes are now, each could be replaced with a single dome-shaped shrub, like the boxwood. Or it could be a flowering shrub.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 21:56

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

Those are actually pretty handsome arborvitae - although they do seem to be developing multiple leaders. My sense would be to save those - get on a ladder with flexible, non bark damaging twine made from cutting an old pair of pantyhose legs down on the bias (and who doesn't have an old pair of those complete with runs jammed into the back of a drawer) and lash the branches together in a couple of places where they are starting to separate from the main trunk. That will also keep them from splitting if you get heavy wet snowfalls. Then you can simply nip off just the new growth tips to keep them from gaining more height when you do any routine annual shearing.

To me, the arborvitae make a nice foil for the rounded shrubs. The arrangement seems to work for your house - probably better than removal and replacing with a scattering of assorted blooming perennials despite the fact a lower display would expose more of the brick work.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback...
    The arborvitae are in very good shape. I like the suggestion of trimming them... and yes - they have developed multiple leaders.

How far should we trim them back - a foot or so? Would you cut back any of the leaders entirely? I know nothing about pruning, unfortunately.

Excuse my lack of plant knowledge, but what are those red-ish prickly bushes called in front of the boxwood? Would it be ok to remove the front two and place some other plantings in that area in front of the boxwood?

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

As for the tops of the arborvitae - just remove any NEW GROWTH on the leaders as it appears in the spring. It may be only a couple of inches or so, just above the previous year's growth.

To see what severely topped, sheared and shaped arborvitae can become - see link from a current thread.

The prickly red bushes are probably barberry.

Here is a link that might be useful: arborvitae

• deviant-deziner
    10 years ago

Shear the arborv'ts to maintain a single cone shape.
    Keep the boxwood globes sheared to the size that they are .
    Remove the berberis globes -
    Plant two modest size Miscanthus sinensis "Adagio" between the arb and boxwood to add a textural and color change - One on each side _

Plant a full impact drift of modestly low seasonal color across the arc -
    spring _ daffodils - about 100
    summer - salvia + alyssum or coreopsis+ lobeiia or heliotropium and lychnis.

You'll then have architectural structure by ways of the arbs and boxwood, a sense of movement and contrasting texture with the ornamental grass and seasonal color with the spring and summer flower show.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again.
    We can deal with the arbs this weekend. As for the berberis, I hate getting near them... they always stick me even with gloves on. :(

I like the idea of the ornamental grass as well as the bulbs.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

My experience with Barberry is to deal with them in the winter. I prune mine then, perfect time, since I will have heavy gloves and thick jacket on to keep those thorns from getting through. Use hedge clippers if you need to.

I agree with the others, what you have mostly works. Thanks for asking.

Jim

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Illustrating my previously mentioned (anti-arb) idea.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County