Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help plan bed in between front of house and paver walkway (Pics!)

Posted by phorty Zone 5 (Chicagoland) (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 15:01

Hey folks! I haven't been on this forum in a few years but recently rediscovered it when planning a planting area in the front of my house.

I've been in my house for 5 years and only recently got around to trying to update the look in the front yard. This summer, I had a few overgrown spruce trees and some nasty barberry bushes removed. I then had a paver walkway and stoop installed. So I basically have an empty slate to landscape.

The front of the house faces due south. However, it does get a bit of shade as there are large oak trees overhead that are in the front part of the front yard.

Thoughts of what to put in here? I'm pretty open to anything. I want some nice color in all seasons and some flowering. I don't want anything to grow higher than the picture window that is 4 feet high. I was thinking about some knockout roses or carpet roses and some perennials as well.

Close up of area to plant:
Photobucket
Photobucket

I'm facing northwest as I take this photo
Photobucket

I'm facing west
Photobucket

I'm facing northeast here
Photobucket

Facing northwest farther back to see the oaks providing shade:
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help plan bed in between front of house and paver walkway (Pi

The photo is a little fuzzy so can't tell for sure, but you might consider allowing the burning bushes at the end of the house to grow into tree forms if it wouldn't conflict with any windows. And then underplanting them in the future. For below the front window you might consider one of the Japanese Spiraea cultivars. At the back of the perennials, if there is enough light, you might consider including Siberian Iris 'Caesar's Brother'. It has long lasting nice foliage in addition to the great blooms and general plant vigor without being invasive. Potentilla somewhere? Peonies? A tree Peony?

o

I like the idea of some spirea there. Will they get tall enough to fill the area below the window? That's an interesting idea about the burning bushes but there is a bay window on the right and they are already too high and blocking some of that. I plan to trim them down after they drop their leaves.

o

"Will they [Spiraea] get tall enough to fill the area below the window?" There is a multitude of height choices available. The right height would minimize the need for frequent trimming.

o

Okay, I just measured and the picture window is exactly 36" off the ground. I just discovered Thor Spirea, which grows to 2-3' so that could work. I love the fall color these have right now. Or would those be a better fit to run along the path and plant something else under the window?

o

The Spiraea would be the tallest planting that area. Between it and path, in general, should be something much lower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here