Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants that look like something else

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 15:02

I love to use plants that are somewhat unexpected in the garden, and lead people to guess they are something else entirely. Often times this similar appearance between different genera results in Latin species names recognizing the similarities, such as with this photo. The foliage looks for all the world as if it were some exotic fuzzy orange colored Blechnum fern frond, but instead it is in the Protea family. I had first seen it on a garden tour down in Ojai, California years ago that had been planted out by the Australian nurserywoman Jo O'Connell. I never expected it to be readily available in the trade, but wait 12 years, and all good things will come true! Banksia blechnifolia with fuzzy new leaves that later turn a more subdued pale olive green. A ground cover type Banksia that also has stems that creep along the ground similar to a subtropical Rabbit's Foot Fern, Phlebodium aureum. Combined here with a South African annual from Annie's Annuals Nursery for a shot of complementary hot colors, for a raised planter off a third story balcony here in the Berkeley hills. I planted this out in late October, and it was this colorful all winter and into May/June the following year. An example of horticultural humor for amusing visiting garden afficionados who like to stump each other. (Although when you see the bloom, as it appears in this same Flickr set, there is no confusion it is a Banksia!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Would you guess correctly what this really is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants that look like something else

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 13:04

For the life of me, I cannot formulate an intelligent response to this one, David. I am waaaay out of my depth here, but thanks for the excellent photos of some really cool plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here