Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

How to you hide / conceal your garden hose? PIC

eldemila
12 years ago

We've planted a garden in the front of the house and have the hose in the front right garden. I have a garden hose box but think it looks terrible right in front of the spigot.

Wondering what others do to conceal or hide their hose. I know a garden hose pot is nice, but they won't hold a really long hose, and without a handle to wind it, it can take a while to get it in there, not to mention, what to do about the wand???

Does anyone have a creative way they hide their hose? Thought maybe behind a small trellis that has some vine on it? Any pictures would be helpful too if anyone has any, or finds anything on the web (I haven't)

You can see in the picture below the hose snaking thru. The bib is a little over to the right. I now have some concrete edging up, not that that makes any difference for the hose.

{{gwi:51481}}

Comments (49)

• inkognito
    12 years ago

Unscrew it, roll it up and put in the shed.

• adriennemb2
    12 years ago

It is what it is. Just hang the hose on an attractive hanger in an inconspicuous corner. Anything else that you do
    to try and conceal it will make it a pain in the neck to get to when you need it.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Appreciate the replies and suggestions. Unfortunately, throwing it in the shed would be really inconvenient, I'd be pulling it out just about every day. I have 3/4 of an acre. The front of the house, both sides, are in the process of having plants put in. The hose, as long as it is, doesn't even reach the end of the front yard, so those plants I have to water with a watering can. It also only reaches to part of my side yard.

The hose has to go across the walkway, so having it out is, well, ugly - not to mention, potentially dangerous if someone trips over it.

I have a totally separate hose (150ft, I think) for the back yard, and even had a hose bib put in on the right side.

Here's a few more pics to give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

{{gwi:51482}}
    {{gwi:51483}}

{{gwi:51484}}

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

Is it possible to replace the hose with one which would provide less contrast in color to the brick foundation and the soil color? A dark color, certainly.

Or you could buy an extender (see the photos at these links)
    faucet extender on short stake
    tall faucet extender with hose holder
    I've seen them sold at Lowe's, with hoses of different lengths.

Anyway, with one of these you can move the hose and the faucet to a less noticeable location.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I didn't see your hose box in any of the pics but I have one that's about the same color as your siding. As far as hose storage goes, I think it's fairly attractive and extremely handy. It holds about 150 ft. of rolled hose. I got a 6-foot black hose to connect the box to the faucet since it's not possible to put the box any closer to the faucet (it would be in the way of where I store my grill.) The hose box is also a handy little table for my phone, tools, and beverage when I'm working near it. If you leave the end hanging just out the front, you never need to open the lid, so you could put potted plants on it to make it more interesting and give you some more height in that bed.

Love that rose, btw, such a pretty pink.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk! Things to worry about!
    Try this: Have an excavator come in and dig out a rectangular hole, then have a contractor line it with concrete, then build a nice concrete cover at ground level, and make up an electrical motor to raise and lower the lid, as it will be mighty heavy. Have a plumber install an extension water line into the box to which you can attach the hose. A neat thing to have in the box would be an electrically operated hose reel, with the attendant swivel hose connections, ala a fire engine swivel hose connection, so the water could be on all of the time.
    Of course, if you live where water freezes in cold weather, an electric, water-proof heater would be necessary!
    Just think of how you could brag to yer neighbors about yer hose box! OHH, MY! You'd be the talk of the local garden scene!
    And, what do i do with mine? I just lay it straight down my steep driveway, let it lay until the water drains out, then i curl it up neatly, and stuff it in the garage for winter! In summer, it hangs on a hook on the side of the house. Doesn't bother the neighbors one bit, nor me either!

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Missingtheobvious, thanks for the links. I think the best idea is to use a hose extender and put it towards the right of the front garden, next to the lattice on the deck - There's a leader hose that's 10ft, so that should do it. Thanks!

Purpleinopp, the hose box was out of the pic, but I do have it. If I can hide it in the corner, it will work, and not be the focal point. Thanks for noticing the rose, but my other one is even prettier. I don't think the pic does it justice, but it's a very hot pink colored rose:

{{gwi:51485}}

Rustyj14 - I think you may be wound tighter than a hose on a reel!!!

• hostaLes
    12 years ago

How about a valved wye connection at the hose-cock with a hose connected to the rear side running tight to the house, under the deck and to an extender at the rear of the house. A short, easy to handle and store section of hose could then be attached to either the remaining hose connection on the wye or the extender, depending on where-ever you need to water.

Les

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

That IS a beautiful rose! Thanks for the pic!

• Yardviser
    12 years ago

For the person who REALLY SOLVES this problem there will be a prize of several million dollars. With those stakes it ought to get done, but I've puzzled over this in the past and, having made no progress, am not a penny richer for it!

• karinl
    12 years ago

I really think the solution is to separate the hose from the spigot. In other words, leave the bulk of the hose where the plants are, and run it BACK to the spigot (or an extender) when necessary, rather than storing it at the spigot and hauling it to the plants every time.

Use of Y-connectors and multiple pieces of hose, quick-connectors, standing hose hangers in the garden areas (with spigots if necessary), and whatever other hardware is available create a lot of options - once you get over the belief that the hose has to be at the spigot. As HostaLes says, you can run branches to the various parts you want to water, and some of those hoses (running under the deck) can stay in place permanently. That is something I have running to my front yard, as a matter of fact, as I have a spigot only in the back.

Karin L

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

We have really heavy, long hoses (too heavy to be dragging around) that stay in place permanently running through the back section of our property, and each is equipped with Y- connectors and quick disconnects that the more lightweight hoses can be attached to. Those hoses are stored on hose hangers when they aren't used, and we have extenders that reach all over the place and also hook to soakers and drip systems that are in the beds. The big hoses hook to spiggots with extenders and quick disconnects. Even the spiggots are equipped with big Y-connectors so we can run two hoses to different areas.

This summer was so horrifically hot and dry that we really studied our gardens and put in a lot of soakers and drips so that we wouldn't have to be constantly running hoses, and will put in a few more next year. It has saved us countless hours and labor, and instead we are mostly just turning spiggots on and flipping switches.

It was a lot of work and took a lot of thought to set up but sure is worth it! We have an acre of garden so we had to do something serious about watering.

Where we use impulse sprinklers, we have rigged them up with short extenders and quick disconnects so we can attach them to the ends of any handy hose, instead of having to drag the whole thing around.

So far it has worked pretty well. At the end of the season we coil up everything except the permanent hoses (which are brown, and practically invisible) and store them in the shed.

Sandy

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

Interesting, Sandy. No problems with the permanent hoses freezing?

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

I used much the same sort of approach as Sandy has described when we established the garden here. Now that most things are well established, I rarely need to run the hoses and, in fact, have removed some.

MTO - The soaker hoses always survived just fine for me being left out in winter. I think most of the water drains out of them via the ooze holes so they suffer little damage from freezing. The rubber itself does eventually deteriorate some but I have 10+ year old soaker hoses that still function as well as they did when new.

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

Hm. No post. Well, here we go again:

woody, I assumed mosswitch's permanent hoses were not soaker hoses.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

The permanent hoses are very heavy rubber, and have been down for 4 yrs now with no deterioration. And yes, the soakers are permanent, as well as the drip lines. They are buried under the mulch. How long they will last is anybody's guess.

Since they all run downhill from the house, when everything is disconnected, they drain completely and nothing freezes. Just have to stuff the ends with a wad of window screen so nothing moves in and sets up housekeeping in the winter or they get full of mud and dirt. When they are unhooked from the spiggots for the winter, all the switches are left in the open position so no water is trapped. If they didn't run downhill, we would blow them out with the air compressor to make sure there was no water in them just as we do the lines in our Airstream trailer when we winterize it.

Sandy

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

Sandy, thanks for the response. Yes, sloping land does have some advantages.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions!

Leshostas - I have spigots on 3 of the 4 sides of the house, so I really don't have to pull it all around. I need long hoses on all sides due to the size of my yard and the odd layout of the land. I don't care the way the hoses look on the side and back of the hose, only the front bothers me. I've also put lattice under the deck recently and will have vines and plants around and growing up on it, so the hose wouldn't have worked anyhow the way suggested. But thanks for the suggestions!

I can't see unscrewing and rescrewing the hose in the front each time I need to water these plants. Being they are new plants, from what I'm told, they need to be watered more than those established plants. I'm actually still planting stuff.

I think the best possible solution, as I mentioned before is to buy a 10ft hose extender and hook it to the box, or to the post with a hose holder, either one at the end of the deck. I currently have a evergreen that will (hopefully) grow and be able to conceal the hose and holder a bit more, but for now, I think it's the best possible solution.

Here's a few more pics I found that gives more visuals:

{{gwi:51486}}

{{gwi:51487}}

{{gwi:51488}}

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Well, thanks, DeBelli, for the vote of confidence! Yes, some folks can't see the woods for the trees, is why i thought my ideas might be good for your problem!
    Glad to be of service. I hope you will contact me for any future problems--especially in the lawn mower/ lawn tractor genre.
    Yours: Rusty Jones--The Mower Man. ;0)

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

When I look at the top picture, I see a Y-connector at the spiggot, with the left one going to a drip line along the wall with spaghetti hose and emitters going to each plant. One flip of the switch and that bed is watered.

Off the right side of the Y I see a hose extension going to the hose box, and a hose attachment from it so you can take a hose where ever it needs to go. It would also keep the hose from being dragged through that bed, which would eliminate any accidental decapitating of plants with the hose.

Sandy

• inkognito
    12 years ago

A sign of the times: there is forum devoted to the DESIGN of the space around our house that some say is a garden and others say is their landscape. But then a question about hiding a garden hose goes viral (look at the heading)and all kinds of riff raff join in the bun fest. Rusty offered the 17thC solution that is by far the best so far there might even be a prize. A trip to Disney?

• hostaLes
    12 years ago

The nicest wall mounted hose hanger I've seen was early this year at Ace Hardware. It had a short piece of hose to connect to a spiggot, then the water ran up to the top with a faucet over a small sink so you can wash hands and tools without spraying everything in site. The hose hung under the sink. It was molded in plastic that resembled stone and it's features made it rather decorative. It almost looked like a water feature. But I have no idea who makes it. If I had to store a hose on the front of my house I would have bought one. I almost did anyway.

Les

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

This might be what Les saw at Ace Hardware, though I don't find it at their site:

Elgo Garden Sink and Hose Hanger
    http://www.elgo.co.il/?CategoryID=262&ArticleID=185

There's another version which has an attached Tools Organizer:
    http://www.elgo.co.il/?CategoryID=262&ArticleID=186

They're in the "Garden Novelties" category (a subset of "Timers and Accessories"), rather than with hoses.

Les, I assume there's a Y connector to the existing faucet on the side the house -- one side of the Y goes to the faucet in the sink, the other side goes to the actual garden hose?

• botann
    12 years ago

DeBelli, I would think twice about having that rose with thorns next to the spigot.
    In addition I think all foundation plants should be evergreen. After all, their purpose is to hide the foundation.
    Mike

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

In a red clay pot made for that purpose,mine will hold a 75ft hose.

• catkim
    12 years ago

An exuberantly grown garden will capture all the attention and your neatly coiled hoses will pass unnoticed.

• deviant-deziner
    12 years ago

been here , designed that.
    Extend the main line under the sidewalk , install a quick coupler in a irrigation box or install a hose bib riser.

Or install an automatic irrigation system.

• qmarker
    12 years ago

I just sold my home with a similar situation. I had over an acre and I put a 75ft wide high berm in the middle of the yard. It was georgeous and hard to water and wind hoses...

I 'burried' a very good long hose from the spigot at the patio down to and underneath the berm. Came out the back side and put a metal post with a hose reel down there and an on/off "Y" connector.

Yes, I had lava rock around the patio and like you right under the spigot. Yes, I had a walkway. Dug underneath all of it and buried a good hose so that all you saw was the hose down into the ground at the spigot. Yes, I live in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. No, I had no problems doing this. In winter I just disconnected it from the spigot, in spring I had to wait maybe two weeks longer than normal to turn the water on to the berm connection. I did that ten years ago and it was still all just fine when I moved out recently.

Bury it!! I did not do mine very deep. Perhaps about 10 inches. Lot's of work but once done you have a hose where you want it and near the house it is out of site.

If you want to look at the picture link. You might barely see the green post at the back of the berm near the tree where I had another hose on a hanging holder and a 'Y' connection to turn it on/off.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Hide the hose - bury it

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all who've replied especially Mosswitch - great idea - thanks!

QMarker, your garden is beautiful, loved seeing the pictures.

Botann why not have the rose there? Seems to be doing fine there, just curious why you said that.

Funny when I look at the first picture of my last post with the 3 pictures, can't believe how big the butterfly bush as grown and how I've added more plants to the mix. Almost done in there, just a few tweaks and moves, then mulch and some pea gravel along foundation and I'm done with exception to the hose stuff.

Again, thanks to you all. When I told my friend about the hose extension she felt stupid that she hadn't thought of it, neither of us had, and here it was, so obvious!

• peoniesandposies
    12 years ago

Hi, I like to plant new stuff every year, so it seems like I always need a handy hose. I solved my problem by coiling my hose in a figure 8 lying on the ground at the front of my beds. It's easily pulled out to where I need it without knotting and it's easily put back away.

Like many others I just accept that a hose is part of a garden - but I do purchase nice looking ones :)

• jannie
    12 years ago

I have two hoses I use only spring and summer,one is 50 feet plus another 75 feet connected together. I recently bought a hose caddy from my local hardware store. Can't post a picture. Sorry. I'll be winding up my two hoses on Saturday, store them in my warmish garage. I've left rubber hoses out all winter and they get stiff and cracked.I don't even try to hide my hoses when they are in use.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I think hoses are ugly too, but unfortunately a necessary evil in having large gardens. I just try to keep them out of pictures! They look really ugly in pictures. :)

For hot sunny locations, full sun or southwest exposure, regions that experience serious drought conditions, etc. consider xeric or dryland plantings instead of irrigation systems. Plants that are naturally beautiful as well as rugged and drought tolerant once established are good. A lot less work having to irrigate, and much less use of precious water resources. There may not always be water available for non-essential uses and pampered plantings will die.

LOL @ Rusty!! 8-D

Les, what you describe sounds interesting, do you have a diagram by any change?

• botann
    12 years ago

Debelli, Roses have thorns. Connecting and unconnecting a hose next to a Rose will have you bleeding.
    To me, foundation plants should be evergreen. They're supposed to hide the foundation....even in winter.

The hose doesn't have to come straight out from the hose bib.
    You can have it come out at an angle that you would most often drag it out to. Sometimes stakes or large rocks can be used as guides so that you don't drag the hose over the plants.
    Botann

• covella
    12 years ago

Why don't you just plant larger shrubs in front of the hose area, and hang the hose on a reel, or coil it on the ground on cement pavers.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Debelli, did you notice that your thread is listed in the "What's new on Gardenweb?" at the top of each forum? What an honor! :)

Okay - putting on my landlord and property manager hat.

Please think twice about putting "vines and plants around and growing up" the lattice under your deck. Not only will this rot out your lattice, make it very difficult to periodically clean and paint, but it will also block airflow through the lattice and under the deck and around the foundation of your house. Very bad!

I am also NOT a fan of foundation plantings. I can't tell you how many houses there are out there with large evergreen plantings (mostly Yews and Rhodies) that decades after planting have become huge, and are now swallowing the house and blocking windows. This is TERRIBLE for a structure! It holds moisture against the house, encourages rodents and insect pests, and guess what happens to the foundation plantings when major maintenance like housepainting and roofing needs to be performed on the house? It also locks the homeowner into a never-ending battle with cutting back foundation plantings. I've actually seen my neighbor out cutting his back with a chainsaw!

I plant only perennials, bulbs, and dwarf shrubbery around my foundation. Couldn't care less about seeing the foundation. My large gardens are all well away from the house.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the added replies.

Alyrics - hopefully, the shrubs will grow, in time. They've all recently been planted.

Terrene, Umm, okay, I'm at the top - how'd my thread get there???

Lattice, it's vinyl, so never needs painting, and it won't rot. The airflow is definitely not restricted, by no means, it's very open. This is how open it is on the other side

{{gwi:51489}}

The lattice is only going around the corner to the second post, from there on, it's wide open

{{gwi:51490}}

I'm extremely new to gardening, and plants. I have to tell you, what I've planted has been with a lot of help. I have a friend who has a degree in plant and soil science who is guiding me.

I have about a foot of small pebbles between the foundation and the plants and mulch. What we've planted won't grow too large for the area, and should something have to be trimmed, we'll trim. There are only perennials and shrubs planted there, with the exception of the evergreen which will only grow as big as the area it's in.
    The space to plant is restricted so I can only plant so much and within a certain length away from the foundation. I've also tried to make sure we know how big the roots get and how they grow, and we looked at how big things can get, both in width and height.

I guess we'll see in time. If something needs to be moved, it will have to be.

As for the hose, I'll put the new hose post in come spring. I'll probably put the one with the spigot hooked to a 15' hose extension.

As always, I appreciate all the replies.

THANKS!

• billy_b
    12 years ago

We burried a 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe and ran it about 100 ft to our veggie garden. We then mounted a off and on valve at that location. We then ran our hose through the burried pvc pipe to the off and on valve and hooked it up to the valve with a quick connect. We then can turn the hose on at the house but turn it off at the garden. The nice thing about this is that when the hose springs a leak its easy to change hooking a new hose to the house end of the old hose and pulling it throuh to the hose valve. We then put a shorter hose on at the garden that is easy to get out of the way. You can also run this under patios,sidewalks and the like to hide th hose.

• julescap
    12 years ago

I have 2 spigots connected by a "Y" connector at opposite ends of my foudation in front of house. One is hardly able to be seen due to the large bushes and grasses. I just coil that one on the ground and it gets hidden, The other ,at the driveway end,is more viewable(?) I hace a basic hose hange hanging inht house. I hung a hose which happened to be almost the same color as the siding...a lovely matched pair and the hose was noticeable but not screaming for attention. I had to move hoses around to get a longer reach and now,green hose on tan siding is quite noticeable and ugly..Moral of the story...Paint my house green!

• Janey - formerly jane2
    12 years ago

Ahhhh ... I thought my luck had changed when I read: "there will be a prize of several million dollars" ... (for) "the person who REALLY SOLVES this problem".

I am unemployed and would accept the prize as payment for
    remaining with the coiled hose on my shoulder, either around back or to the side of the house (where debelli said she does not mind it being seen). I would be poised and ready to leap into action, to distribute the hose where needed. Overnight storage of the hose could be in the shed, and I would be there before sun-up to get myself - and the hose! - into position.

Then I realized it was a suggestion by Yardviser who has no vested interest in the solution. Meaning that he would not be providing the wages; he was only suggesting a solution!

Sigh! Another good job disappears from existence.
    lol

• edwinsmoz
    12 years ago

Buy a large decorative planter pot and roll the hose up and put it inside. When you need the hose just pull it out.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to not have to worry about this til spring now. But I have 3 options that I can consider...

1) I bought this a while back. Since it's going to go more or less by the evergreen in the corner next to where the deck starts, it could blend in better than the next option below. I only wish this had some type of a hose winder, pain to try and put it back each time with my length of hose.

http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-HCF-3-Standing-Garden/dp/B000CZ2XRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321707766&sr=8-1

2) Hose box - bulkier than above, beige color, but winds up easily, sit sprayer on top

3) Use neither of the above in that location. Why I didn't think of this before, maybe my mind is going worse than I think it already has. Take the longest hose I have and hook it to the faucet on the right side of the house, which is right behind the lattice that's now up under the deck. I had one put in, right to the left of the door to the crawl space in the pic posted on Nov 11th, bascially to the very left of that picture. I think the hose I have could be used almost all the way around the house if there. Can't remember the length, but it's pretty long. Will measure it and see if it's a possibility that could work. That way, no need to wrap up more than 1 hose and it would be hidden and not be an issue. Here's hoping!!! I can keep a smaller hose on the first option just long enough to do the very front of the house, in which case, it's length would be a breeze to wrap up after use.

Thank you all for racking your brains with me!

On to the next problem....

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just a little fact finding update of sorts.

I took the long hose I have in the backyard and took it around the side of the house. It went about 25 feet from the very front of the house on that side. I'm going to hook it up to the side of the house that we had a spigot put in, which is right at the corner of the house where the decking is. I am going to bet that with that I should be able to get to all the areas that would need watering. This would eliminate a lot of problems, all except one with this particular hose - it's not a kink free and I was forever walking back and forth trying to unkink it, but that I can fix with a decent hose of that length. The only other issue I see is that I have to get some type of hose guides, I had to put a pot so the hose wouldn't decapitate some plants. I will still keep a hose at the front, but just enough to do that area, so it won't be long, and I'll have it on the one that has a spigot on it and a hose holder. A short one in the back just for the season for quick showers on the raised beds I plan to plant back there, but for a good shower, I'm going to get a good heavy duty non-kinking hose with a reel that can handle that length.

After all that - it was that simple! Blame it on my age!!!

Again, thanks to all of you!!!

• inkognito
    12 years ago

Oh thank goodness for that, perhaps now I can get a good nights sleep.

• karinl
    12 years ago

Thanks for following up, debelli. Many people struggle with practical problems like this and they aren't often addressed in the fancy LD and gardening magazines - dirty things like hoses are no doubt whisked out of sight for the photos. The thread makes a valuable contribution by assembling many ideas.

Karin L

• ssam23
    12 years ago

The hose extender is the a beautiful idea. Thanks for who ever posted that. I have the same issue and will be purchasing one of these.

Sam
    Torsion Springs

• Pamela Shepherd
    3 years ago

I know I am really late to this but I just saw your question and I had just been on Pinternest and there is a brick that is rounded with another cover brick that is flat for on top that your garden hose is made to go in. I found it by looking up how to hid garden hoses on brick patios but it is made for your yard, crossing over brick etc. so that you don’t see your hose. It is for sale. Hope this might help.

• Pamela Shepherd
    3 years ago

I went back and got the name the brick is called Kabel-Schlauch—Kanal and I was under the site of chistoph-betonwaren.de on Pinternest

• teaka123
    3 years ago

missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a) These are some great ideas. With the importance of hand washing these days I think having an outside sink set up like those you mentioned would be handy. One doesn't have to handle the door handle to go inside to wash up before sitting down to eat.