Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhd47

Bonsai looking lawn bushes

dhd47
9 years ago

Greetings,

I wanted to plant some bushes in my lawn that have the look of bonsai trees. I'm looking for the type of bush that has the really gnarly looking trunk and branches. I wanted to know if you folks have any ideas on what would be the best looking bush for this. I have 2 Japanese maple trees now so I'm looking for more of a juniper type of bush. I like the evergreen for winter color.

Thanks,
Dave

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Dave, you might mention specs for height and spread. There is probably a juniper to match whatever size you need. Bonsai is an artistically shaped plant, but this could be any of hundreds of different shapes. What's your vision?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

There are many different types of dwarf conifers (needled evergreens) that can produce that look with minimal, if any, pruning or training. One of my favorites is Pinus parviflora 'Fukuzumi'. Very sculptural in appearance with a distinct windswept look. Lots of dwarf pines will exhibit bonsai-like features but there are many, many more different conifers that could work.

You should be aware that in most cases, the exposure of the trunk and the development of the twisted, gnarly look you favor does require some careful and judicious pruning skills.

There are some other rather interesting dwarf shrubs that would fit your 'bonsai look' requirement but they are not necessarily evergreen. Look at Prunus incisa 'Little Twist', 'Twisty Babe' robinia, Harry Lauder's walking stick (not a dwarf - grows large) or Poncirus trifoliata (can be easily pruned to keep size in check)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fukuzumi white pine

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, the bush I would like to have would be under 5' tall. I wouldn't be tied to the height but not too much taller. I was thinking it would be nice to have a few. I understand it would require much work to train the bush and I can deal with that. I attached a link to a sample of what I'm thinking of doing.

Thanks for the reminder of the Harry Lauder's walking stick. I love those but forgot all about them.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:51599}}

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Several plants could work including common old Pfitzer Juniper (which could become larger if you allow.) You only need to abuse the plants and trim them badly for several years. Occasionally, back into them a little with the car. You'll get that look.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

trim them badly for several years

If that's the look you want, this would be the key :-) Those shrubs have been horribly mangled by bad pruning.......not exactly the intent of bonsai. Not something I would waste my time on for an attractive garden but to each his own.

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guys,
    This sample was of size and shape not that I wanted to destroy the plants. I would like to use a plant that would give the look of a bonsai that has been trained and not a bush that has been beat into shape.
    I think if I was to use a Harry Lauder's walking stick type plant and trim to look like a bonsai style tree I would get the look I wanted not a plant I ran the car over to trim.
    Anyway, thanks for the help and all I can say is be glad i don't live in your neighborhood if you don't like the look I'm after.
    Dave

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Oh, I completely understand the concept behind bonsai and niwaki, the Japanese pruning art form for landscape plants to enhance their sculptural characteristics. There are many botanical gardens in my area that feature these sorts of highly pruned plants and a great many skilled Asian gardeners that can accomplish them.

But the shrubs in your photos do not demonstrate any of this care or attempt at enhancement, so difficult to assess just what effect you were after if using them as examples.

The suggestions I offered will present some of these characteristics with minimal pruning and training. But it is important to understand that to achieve the best look of bonsai or niwaki requires a good deal of time and pretty well developed pruning skills. I was just shooting to give you a similar effect relatively rapidly and with minimal effort.

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I now know what I was looking for. I never heard of niwaki and that's what I want.
    Looks like there isn't a lot on the web for this but at least I have a place to start.

Thank you.
    Dave