Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - need ideas to disguise neighbor's ugly wall

Posted by kimba999 none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 16:59

Hi all!
I'm at a loss. The north side of my backyard is bordered by my neighbor's garage right on the property line. This is typical in my neighborhood and my garage provides the south neighbor's north wall. Anyways, it is an ugly yellow stucco and it looks horrible. I would like to cover it but I can't actually do anything to the wall itself - like painting it. I don't want to do anything either that is going to make me lose a lot of area in my smallish back yard. It is much taller than a fence of course. I have mulled over maybe some kind of thin panels made of 1x2's but I'm not sure how I would do that. Any ideas folks? Appreciate in advance any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - need ideas to disguise neighbor's ugly wall

How about growing something on it? You could make or buy a trellis (or several) and grow clematis or roses on it. If you're in a zone with cold winters, you can choose something evergreen like ivy (this doesn't even need a trellis). I can't really tell from your description how much sun this wall would get, but you'd have to choose your plants carefully depending on the light.

http://img4-3.sunset.timeinc.net/i/how-to-books/00/wall-panels--l.jpg?400:400

How to make a cheap, functional trellis:

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-cucumber-trellis/index.html

o

Since the garage is right at the property line, perhaps your neighbor wouldn't mind if you DID paint the portion facing into your yard. Asking is the only way to find out.

HTH, Rosie

o

You might post an explanatory picture to see if it spurs other ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here