Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmo_gw

Quick simple ideas?

Emmo
11 years ago

I'd love to increase the curb appeal of my house. We are in the process of painting (getting rid of the blue), and I am trying to decide what to do with the landscape and porch area? The bushes are too much arent they? We don't have much time or money, so I'd love some simple ideas... but am always interested in any ideas. How should we cut away the bushes? What else? Thanks!

Comments (20)

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is what we are possibly going to do, paintwise.. what do you think?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

The existing hedges/shrubs have been allowed to grow to proportions that are out of bounds for their positions. Here's a suggestion for reshaping them for a quick, low cost improvement. I'm showing the basic shape. You could round the shoulders if it's more to your liking. Shaping them wider at the bottom insures that lower foliage will remain and not be shaded out. A couple of shrubs need to go away ... especially the one at the post. There's not room for something that bulky at the stoop. The other one overhangs the architecture.

I wouldn't shed a tear if the hedge between walk and garage was done away with entirely. A Clematis on a trellis or something else hugging the wall would create a better sense of roominess along the walk to the entrance. Incorporating some seasonal color below would help to add some cheerfulness into the scene.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

The grey is an improvement. The garage door is a touch dark for my taste. (It's pretty but seems to be heading toward "gloomy".) If you backed off and lightened it a little, I think it would be fine. You might also consider leaning it a little more toward taupe.

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome. Yardvaark- the bush you said to get rid of is the prettiest one. You might know what it is, but it turns all colorful and pretty in the fall , urg. But I totally see what you mean about it blocking the pretty architecture. Thanks for the ideas!

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

I'd have to play with the colors that might work with your brick but IMO, I think the dark colors just aren't working for the house...and it's a very nice house! I would try out various light colors on the garage and when one looks right play with the trim. We had a hard time selecting colors with a brick color I wasn't happy with. When we finally were able to embrace the brick color, we found a wonderful color.

I used Sherwinwilliams.com when selecting a paint color. I didn't ultimately use their paint, but it's a great free online tool that lets you play with colors.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

Emmo, a landscape isn't about the prettiest bush. It's about everything working together to make the prettiest place/property. I think you're referring to the shrub at the post.... ? It's not just blocking architectural details. It's impeding precious space.

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aloha- I've been using the Sherwin Williams tool. I am having a hard time finding something that I like :/... I have a long post about it in the home decor forum... I tried a sage and a latte and a couple of different grays. The gray looked best IMO, but I'm still not thrilled with it. I see pics of red brick houses with gray colors that look great, and that's where the idea came from, but when I put them on my house, it doesn't look quite as good...
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg101645311148.html?35

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yaardvark- yea, I believe you, lol, I guess I just get attached to things. I definitely want to open up the porch area. Any more ideas as far as planting some flowers or changing the garden area? I was thinking about getting some pansies for this winter.?

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Taupe with a red door...

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

Obvious places for pansies would be at either or both sides of the stoop and if you set the hedge along the garage back a little (removed the first shrub) then pansies could be between the corner of the garage and the walk.

For me, the taupe looks warmer, better than the grey. I like the shingle siding as you show, but the garage door itself still seems a touch too dark. A value like some of the lighter tones appearing in the shingled area seems like it would be nicer.

Another improvement I would consider at some point is widening the walk same as you did the drive with the brick border. The border could flank the right/outside of walk for its entire length.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

Obvious places for pansies would be at either or both sides of the stoop and if you set the hedge along the garage back a little (removed the first shrub) then pansies could be between the corner of the garage and the walk.

For me, the taupe looks warmer, better than the grey. I like the shingle siding as you show, but the garage door itself still seems a touch too dark. A value like some of the lighter tones appearing in the shingled area seems like it would be nicer.

Another improvement I would consider at some point is widening the walk same as you did the drive with the brick border. The border could flank the right/outside of walk for its entire length.

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

Here's a side-by-side comparison mock-up with a little cleanup on the right side. The little bit of brick by the sidewalk really makes a difference.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

One thing you will find in the home decorating forum is that they love gray. Gray has been trendy for a few years as a change from warmer, beige-based colors that were the previous trend. But like all trends, it won't be around forever.

In your other thread, I suggested you remove some of the hedges and put something with softer foliage in under the middle window. You've gotten some good guidance here!

I believe the colorful shrub you like is a nandina. I know they are used often in the South. When they're not severely pruned, they have a lovely graceful appearance that would work well to soften the brick. You could put three dwarf nandinas in in place of the solid hedge under the window. They're evergreen and can tolerate your hot summers. They color up best in full sun.

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The brickwork looks great! I would have never thought to do that! Thanks!! And thanks for the nandina idea. I googled and yes that's what it is.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Now is the time of year to dig up that nandina and transplant it to a better spot.

Something low-growing like a 'Rozanne' geranium would be pretty at the base of the porch pillar. Pansies are fine for spring and fall, so you could put some of those in after you move the nandina. But you'll want something with summer color next year.

• catkim
    11 years ago

All your paint colors are way too dark -- they have the same value (darkness) as the brick. If the photo were black and white, it would look like the house and brick are all one color. Shift the paint colors -- whether grey, taupe, yellow or silver-green -- way over to the lighter side, see if it changes the look.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

Tweaking a little more.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Looking good!!

I think the red door disappears into the brick.

I would take out the shrub below the middle window and put in something that is wider and more rounded. You want to combat the impression that your entryway is a dark, recessed hole, so find something with variegated foliage or light-colored blooms. A good garden center can help. You'll need to dig in some compost before you plant since I'll bet the soil there doesn't have many nutrients left.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

I agree with may flowers on removing the shrub below the middle window. In my how-to-trim-things-better exercise I left it in, but I think you would create a better overall appearance if plantings in that area were lower. A window box burgeoning with flowers would add more cheer than that shrub does.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I thought of a window box too. I also thought of adding a white lattice trellis on the open porch side and growing clematis.

Wondering if that area gets any sun.