Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
steep slope planting - bamboo?

Posted by reddirt z5 OHIO (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 17:31

My friend just had a row of large pine trees fall on his house during a summer windstorm, so he's left with a 100' x 15' steep area in full sun to plant where the pine stumps have been removed. He would like privacy, and I'm wondering if anyone has successfully planted clumping bamboo (Fargesia) in full sun in Zone 5/6? Or does anyone have suggestions of bushes that naturally might "weep" down the slope?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: steep slope planting - bamboo?

How tall do you want the shrubs to be? Do you have any photos of the site that you could upload?

o

It looks like it might be possible to plant Fargesia, but there is wide latitude between species as far as winter hardiness goes, so you'd need to verify cold tolerance of the exact species you're considering. I'd run it by folks on the Bamboo Forum (and/or get their suggestions) and also research it independently and get information from the grower.

o

Not so wide a hardiness range as one might think :-) Most fargesia are fully hardy to zone 5, a few only to zone 6. Easily the hardiest of the bamboo species. Depending on the height you desire, either F. rufa or nitida would work for you.

FWIW, clumping bamboo does spread but rather slowly, so one would need a good number of plants to fill a 100' length. And not necessarily the most economical solution, either - because the clumps expand slowly, good sized plants can be rather pricey (i.e. 5G plants go for around $95 here).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here