Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie18_gw

Landscape Help Needed Please - zone 5.

Annie18
9 years ago

My new ranch (for me). I've recently moved in and am trying to make front yard look nice. No gardening experience. I like all shrubs, especially evergreens, but nothing too formal. I also like perennials. I planted hydrangea and rhododendrens in the island part with some ground cover junipers and some astilbe, purple coneflower, one weigela, but I have no plan and it shows. Used to have a crab apple tree, that is currently the clump that looks like a bush but is really suckers from the crab apple -- I need to plant a new tree in that spot (Came down in last winter's ice storm). I like houses that are surrounded with trees and shrubs. Any suggestions to make the house look nicer with landscaping is much appreciated. I am in zone 5 (Southern Ontario) am am also terrible with computers, never mind forums! Also, front steps have since been added with about a 4' by 4' area on the driveway side for planting, and the house side a bit larger of a planting area beside steps. There are some small shrubs currently in front of house, globe cedars under the narrow window and emerald arborvitae and other stuff I don't recognize. I'm willing to start over and relocate plants to backyard. Also I have a standard hydrangea tree in front of house, and a small Japanese maple in front (and to the side of) landing. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Comments (11)

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

I kind of like what you've done with the front island.

However, there are too many shrubs up close to the house.

I'd move the Japanese Maple to a focal point in the island.

I'd also take out the one dark conical bush under the large window, ... and the (3) dark globular bushes to the right (from street-view).

I'd also consider replacing the Dwarf Alberta Spruce at the right of the house ... with a horizontal juniper (which would balance the porch elevation on the left side of the house.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I'm offering a partial suggestion because I can't make out what's up with some things. Like the porch. It looks like it's under construction. If you have an updated picture, please submit it. Don't know where the decapitated crab is. All I see is sprawling things. Depending on where and what it is, it might could become something. On the island garden ... it could have something to say in and of itself, but I can't see how it is supporting the overall picture of which the home is the central theme. It looks completely independent and free form to me. As if it doesn't matter that there is a house there. There may be space for trees nearer the street, but it can't be told from the picture submitted. I think there should be many fewer plants. The scene is clustered with numerous individuals.

Thanks, Aegis, for that shrub.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 10:19

• Annie18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pictures. I guess I have to add them one at a time and then send? Here is the front steps -- porch area not finished.

• Annie18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view showing fence side of front yard and Serviceberry tree

• Annie18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have pic showing front sidewalk, but it's only a couple feet ahead of the clump of suckers shown in photo (what looks like some sort of shrub here). It's since been removed awaiting a new tree.

• Annie18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This photo shows the loose looking shrubs I like. The only one I recognize is the dogwood and maybe euonymous (sp?). Thanks for your responses so far. I do see that simple is better, and I am overcluttered with this and that. Maybe if I will move most of the plants to the backyard and sod over the island, widening the bed beside the fence a bit. The blue juniper idea sounds good, but will it take years to get to the size you drew in, Aegis. I guess I don't want to wait too long. Also, beside the juniper, what do you suggest for under the large window and beside steps. Our winters are long, so I think some sort of evergreen might be best. I love your suggestions so far, but if I'm not being too pushy, I hope you will add some more.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

That is very pretty, Yard. Very, very nice and makes the house look grounded.

I am working toward that style in my front yard, too - I suffer from the same thing as Annie. I like a lot of different stuff and when I put them together they just look jumbled.

• User
    9 years ago

Annie,
    I know your excited about working on the house, and you want it to look finished, but take your time.
    Slow down for now.
    Move the evergreen bushes away from the homes foundation for now. You want all planting about 3 ft from the house always, You never know when you will need to access the roof or windows for maintance.
    You really did a wonderful job so far on the plantings out front.
    I think I would look at small round arborvitaes, the globe ones, I have them out front of my walkway.
    They really look nice lining a walkway into the house, just a thought.
    Think evergreen just as much as decidious.
    In the winter, all the leaves will be off the plantings and it will look mighty bear in the front of your home.
    You have years to perfect the house.
    Pick a nice bed out back to transfer whatever you don't want out front, and just plant them there, mulch them in and in the spring, you can think about it again.
    Those steps are going to look beautiful in the front of your home when they are done, some gorgeous dwarf conifers would look beautiful there.
    I think there are gorgeous dwarf cedars you can plant on either side of the steps.
    Congrats on your new home!

• Annie18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for you great suggestions. I know my excitement at finally having some land made me go nuts a bit. Annie.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Well, that's what land does to a person!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

You can photograph one plant at a time and post it on the
    Name That Plant forum. You will get an answer quickly.

I agree with the person who said your foundation bed is too shallow. No plants should be that near your house

The bed on the right side of yard is also too shallow. If enlarged it could possibly be a location for some of the plants in the island. The island has to go.