Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Any of the regulars have pics of their work?

whaas_5a
12 years ago

I lurk in and out looking for ideas and firgured I ask if the regulars have pics of their yards or work they've accomplished...just looking for a little inspiration!

Comments (14)

• deviant-deziner
    12 years ago

me too, would enjoy seeing a few phots from those who often post here.
    links to websites or photo hosting sites would be nice.

• drtygrl
    12 years ago

I put some more pics on my flicker...
    Please excuse the photos - I really wish I was a better photographer, but I cant seem to make that work. I always forget about shadows, and I mean always.

Here is a link that might be useful: a few projects

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

I suspect maybe the OP was wanting the pro's pictures...? However, the link below is to 10+ years of pictures of my definitely non-pro garden! Many of the albums there are misc. stuff or non- garden pictures (e.g. the dog pack pictures - dogs are another passion of mine :- ) The garden pictures are mainly for my own reference for things like bloom times, combinations I like (or don't like!) that I might want to repeat - or change etc. The pictures get somewhat repetitious from year to year as I'm tracking the bloom times etc. Aside from being a garden diary for me, the albums are also a way I communicate with an old friend on the east coast of Canada - we're both avid gardeners and she likes to keep track of what's going on in my garden by checking what pictures I've posted to the albums.

Here is a link that might be useful: woodyoaks garden 2000-2011

• inkognito
    12 years ago

I only work theoretically which is impossible to photograph so you'll get nothing from me.

But Michelle I have to ask, since you have recently posted some mouth watering examples of your work here why the change of heart? You were absent from this forum for a long time precisely because of Garden Web's policy regarding ownership of photographs. Has that policy changed?

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

I wondered that too d-d... I love your pictures (although the plants are utterly unfamiliar to me - it's a different world where you are!) and your commentary; I'm glad you're back.

• karinl
    12 years ago

It might help if you say what you need inspiration for... people could post photos ad infinitum without hitting your needs. I'm perfectly willing to address a specific question with a relevant photo, but a photo-essay/CV/virtual tour of my work (which, as for Woody, is my home)? I have a few more pressing things on the to-do list :-)

Karin L

• deviant-duhziner
    12 years ago

Hi Tony,
    I don't have a change of ideologoy in regards to this website claiming ownership of ones photographs. I guess I started posting again out of boredom.
    With the exception of a few projects in the last few years , it's been rather ho hum pedestrian landscape design.
    Not too many folks have the expendable income to hire and install a full master plan or even a fully decked out design and installation.

My portfolio hasn't been updated in at least 3 years ( embarrassing to admit that I haven't had the dough to hire a professional photographer or a web designer ) but I have been cataloging my projects on a photo hosting site called Picassa .

As far as inspirational projects, I have one in the new digital landscape design magazine called LEAF founded by the marvelous Ms. Rumphius Rules aka Susan Cohen .
    On pages 62-63 there is a photo of a project that I did in Squaw Valley.

BTW, Love the images of the woodland garden by drtygirl and thought that Woodyoaks garden was a picture of pure beauty and passion. The architecture was also a treat to view.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.leafmag.com/site/

• botann
    12 years ago

There's a difference between designing outdoor rooms and designing gardens.
    I do gardens.
    It seems most garden magazines concentrate on outdoor rooms and hardscapes. It attracts more sponsors with something to sell. It's a matter of economics. I don't subscribe to any of them anymore. I do breeze through them at the magazine rack while my wife does the grocery shopping. Good enough for me.
    You can see my garden and travels on MY Page to see what I've been up to lately.
    Headed home from California tomorrow. Three weeks in the Sierras is not near enough time.

{{gwi:51682}}
    It's places like this that give me inspiration and the desire to do some serious hiking in the sub-alpine environment.
    Mike

• bahia
    12 years ago

That is an impressive natural garden setting! I like doing both planting design and hardscapes, but have found budgets very tight these days in my part of the SF Bay Area, I wish I were doing more work in the Silicon Valley area, where all sorts of large scale home and garden building is still going on.

I've plenty of photos on my Flickr site if one Google's my name, David Feix. Probably not useful in the slightest for garden ideas for a. Wisconsin setting, much more appropriate and concerned with garden design on the Pacific rim.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the links and photos! I'm sure there are other lurkers that appreciate it as well.

Pro or no pro its all appreciated. Sometimes you can get some of the best layouts from a spontaneous newbie.

Karin, sometimes you don't know what you're looking for until you find it!

Here is a link to my photobucket. It does focus more on individual plants since this is my first year at this home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

• botann
    12 years ago

Whoa whass!
    You have more trees than I, and I've been at it for over thirty years. Wish the Internet was around when I got started.

Mike...retired

• karinl
    12 years ago

The reason I was wondering is that I remember your threads and that you were pretty committed to your design. And indeed, of its style you did a nice job. So I was wondering whether something particular was bothering you about the installation that we could address directly, rather than through the random process of posting pictures. You actually articulated some doubts about the design at the outset but I don't think you made any changes to address them.

Karin L

• deviant-duhziner
    12 years ago

whass,
    you have some nice look'n trees there and your landscape is shaping up nicely.
    thanks for coaxing us along to post some of our garden photos.
    I enjoyed seeing the photos and websites that were posted above. To all that posted; thanks I enjoyed the show.
    Its nice to see what other gardeners are doing these days rather than the bore-fest of addressing questions and dissecting someone's gardening effort.

below is a photo taken in my garden in N. Cal. It is one of my favorite vignettes from the back yard.
    The Buddha head and garden lantern came from Bali. I visited the island with a group of crazed gardeners a few years back. The various bromeliads all came from the infamous 'raffle table' at the S.F. Bromeliad Club that meets once a month in the City. I usually bring a bromeliad or two to share and come home with a half dozen. It is a great group of people who love to share their gardens and their plants.
    {{gwi:51683}}From Pina Colada

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike, I hear you on the internet. I'd be limited to about 30 plant cultivars in this area if it wasn't for this forum and mail order.
    At least you have some mighty fine mature specimens to admire.

Karin, are you referring to actual pics of the design or referrring to the pic of the layout on paper? If the later thats old news! I just mapped out the final bed shapes yesterday...almost night and day when compared to the original plan.
    I did take many things into consideration from my post last fall (which I believe you had alot feedback on). I'd say I commited to many plants but the design changed quite abit. Even the paito came out much different. In the end entertaining gets the deck, shaded lounging gets the patio under the deck and then I have two seperate grassy areas for the little one. That is the extent of the rooms per say.
    The rest is my domain! I'd now conisder myself a conifer collector. I plant to integrate many more shurbs and perrieals to get variegation, purple and fine texture. I do get what your saying about keeping it random regarding the post's subject matter.

I really don't have any dislikes and challenges at this point that can't be solved here. I more or less I want to burn images of ideas to consider when installing more plants. Color, texture and habit constrasts are always on my mind.

For example maybe I'm focusing too much on plants and need to get a Buddha head out there!