Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Yard Landscape Ideas

Posted by Aly123 none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 18:09

Help! I have a teeny tiny yard and have NO idea what to do with it. We are fairly new homeowners and know absolutely nothing about yards, landscaping, etc.

Here's the story on our yard: It is L-Shaped and holds two small patios (with 3 sliding glass doors, oh the lovely 70's). It is narrow and backs to a moderately busy street.

When we first moved in, the yard sloped several feet down to the fence to a gutter/drainage thing that runs all along the street since we are on a hill. We put in a retaining wall and filled it with dirt to make a flat surface. We added the fence/railing along the wall so our small children wouldn't launch themselves into the gutter.

We likely won't do any major renovations (not sure the house is worth it); however, I would love to hear ANY suggestions you may have- large or small. We do have one play structure (affectionately titled "the thunderdome") but that's it.

Thanks for your input! Oh, and pardon the mess in the photos. I'm tired.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Yard Landscape Ideas

Could you post a photo that shows and explains the "gutter" between the two fences? Also, say what's planted. Do you have any goals for the yard?

o

I'd wager the gutter is one of those cemented canals.

To wit:

Here is a link that might be useful: Do you think it might be like this

o

Aly,
If you can identify your needs or desires that you want to get out of the back yard space then that will help you shape your ideas for it.

We know that you have kids and a playstructure so that is one obvious need for a flat space that is either covered with lawn or playground fiber that they can safely play upon.

Then you mentioned you have a busy street which means a fair amount of traffic noise and you have the concrete drainage v ditch.
Either a hedge or a layered planting ( small tree(s) some shrubs and some perennnials layered together ) planted towards the back end of your narrow yard would help visually and minorly with sound mitagation.

As far as what those small tree and shrubs are depends on the amount of maintenance that you want to incur and or if you desire a particular color or fruit production. .... and of course your planting zone needs to be known before any plants can be chosen.

How you walk from one area to another also has to be planned for as well.

So you can see it is a multi-pronged process of discovery and planning that is highly responsive to the family who lives/ plays/ entertains/ in that space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here