Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

I'd like to "call before I dig" but . . .

violetwest
9 years ago

I want to plant a tree and some shrubs on the small strip to the side of my garage. It's about a 5 x 20 strip. There are some utilities there, but I don't know exactly where or what they are. My survey doesn't show them (just shows the utility easements).

But -- my state 811 line -- you can't get through apparently. "We're too busy so fill out the online form." Except the online form has a bunch of requirements about spotting and tracking and other stuff I don't understand, so I can't fill it out sufficiently to submit.

My time window for planting is about 2 weeks, or I'll have to wait until spring. Don't know what to do. :(

Comments (20)

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

There should be 2 forms online.
    1) for contractors
    2)for single resident homeowners.(waaaay easier)

If you can't get through call your local utilities for assistance.
    They probably have a back-door number for you to call.
    I've used the service for post holes before.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

unfortunately, I was looking at the homeowner form. Even the question of whether I'm in a City or county area not-a-city is problematic in my location.

I thought of asking my developer to send someone out. It shouldn't really be this difficult.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Do you have a mailbox in front of your house so they can determine your location ?
    I would think they just need to know if there is a physical address.
    Google map search your address to see what comes up.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my address doesn't show up on google maps. And they want to know dig type and spotting instructions and ticket type and type of work (from a list of incomprehensible terms. )

so I tried to call, and it's like, "wait time is more than one half hour." FTS

This post was edited by Violet.West on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 19:27

• Fori
    9 years ago

I could be wrong, but isn't that mainly for digging with machinery? I think if you gently go with a shovel, you'll not break anything and know if something is there before you do any damage.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and, you could be right. What do I know? That I overthink things, obviously. That's probably what I will try. That's encouraging, Fori.

However, I have plans for the larger part of my yard (in the Spring) which will probably necessitate heavy machinery so eventually I'll have to figure it out. Or hire someone to figure it out.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 9:37

• eaga
    9 years ago

Could you call one of the utility companies? We had our gas line upgraded and the gas company took care of sending someone to mark both the gas and water lines.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Agree with Fori, if you're hand digging, there's not much at risk. The most likely utilities to damage are shallowly buried cable or telephone. Test the area for those by running a hook-like tool (a hoe maybe) in a dragging manning to see if you can snag the line. Everything else will be in a pipe or conduit and will likely be deeper. If you break an irrigation pipe, it's easy to fix.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well, I bought the plants I wanted -- a 15 gal Mexican redbud tree (larger than I wanted, but that's all I could find); and a lonely Arizona Rosewood. Let's see if can dig those holes.

If I blow anything up I'll let you know. :)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Brush up on Chinese before you dig. :-)

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Hope the roots aren't invasive that close to the garage or they can crack your foundation. Better ask nursery before you get them in the ground. Out here they planted so many parking strip(blvd) trees that had invasive roots & the sidewalks are buckled & cracked all over the city! It can damage garage & 1 tree dad had made it to front of house & my dad took care of that years ago, liquid amber tree(has those sticker balls all over) anyway roots can get 30 ft long or longer tree died after last big quake think too much of root system was damaged as it tore out 2 squares of sidewalk which dad had to replace as city refused even tho it is their sidewalk.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well, it's a small patio tree native to the desert, and here the roots tend to go down to find water rather than spreading. We'll see.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I used the online form one time and it was not that difficult. I think you should try to contact them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Call before you dig

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks. New Mexico is not that easy. Anyway -- holes dug and plants planted this morning.

• marcinde
    9 years ago

"I could be wrong, but isn't that mainly for digging with machinery? I think if you gently go with a shovel, you'll not break anything and know if something is there before you do any damage."

Please don't give advice like this. Here in VA, cable and/or phone is often installed on top of the soil and the sod laid over it, in new subdivisions. FIOS is as far down as the guys felt like putting it that day. Gas, I've seen as shallow as 4" and as deep as 24". Electric? One of the guys I worked with hit the main line going through the subdivision (our boss never called), thank god it was high voltage enough that it threw him clear.

In short, you can never be sure where something is buried and if you break it and didn't call for a mark, you're paying for it. The OP got lucky.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

would it be appropriate for a homeowner to ask or require a landscaping contractor to arrange for marking as part of a landscape job? Since they seem to make it as difficult as possible for a layperson in my state.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 11:47

• marcinde
    9 years ago

That's standard procedure. 7 days before a job starts we call 811 for a markout. It's worth asking just to be sure though.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks!

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

There are finding services you can hire to come out and locate everything, mark it.

If you are in Zone 8 you can probably garden all winter, unless you have a specific personal reason why you don't think you can work in the yard after October.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"garden all winter" -- well . . . it does get down to 15 degrees F at least once per winter out here-- it's not like that all the time but it gets fairly cold. Yes, I'm in the desert, but it's also at 3800 feet above SL here.

I try to get my plants into the ground at least a few weeks before the first frost, which statistically is about Oct. 25 here. I'm a newbie gardener, but that's what my research indicates.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 11:04

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists