Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashlie_neevel

May I have your honest opinion?

Ashlie Neevel
10 years ago

Ok I am driving myself and everyone I know crazy with my garden planning. My gravel just got put in today and my mind is in overdrive how I am going to develop the rest. The space I have to work with is very very small and the buxus border is non negotiable that is staying. I would love to have flowers but I refuse to have a garden that is in bloom only some of the time. I think thats tacky and since my space that is available for planting within the buxus borders is so limited It is making it impossible for me to come up with some sort of arrangement that is nice ALL OF THE TIME.

ENTER THIS NEW DESIGN (this is what i want you to rip to shreds if you hate it and tell me every which way from Sunday why I and this design should be dragged out back and shot LOL)

What I have here is a buxus perimenter at 1ft high by 1ft wide dimensions. In the middle I have Artemisia Silver Brocade as a ground cover with Cupressus arizonica 'Glauca' spirals. In the very center I have a 10ft high Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata' pyramid.

I think it is an interesting set up and its bonuses are that its all evergreen so what you seen in may is what you see in december. I find the contrast between the green of the buxus and the silver of the artemisia quite pleasing and the blue-greenish cupressus glauca spirals also compliment nicely with those too.

So what do you think about it overall?

I have also included a picture of what the 2D version of the garden is along with the L&W of the garden beds in question.
{{gwi:51865}}

Comments (46)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'll start off my stating that I know nothing about gardening in the Netherlands.

It is very difficult for me, where I live, to have anything that is NICE all of the time. Some folks see a plant that is somewhat dormant as a nice change from what it might be in other months. Other folks, possibly you, don't ever want to see anything less than a consistent state.

So, my suggestion is to ignore the naysayers and do whatever you like. It's your money, your time and your garden.

Jim

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

In general, I think you're squeezing too much in too small of a space. With the path, you're inviting one to enter the garden, but in actuality -- even if things are as rigidly trimmed as it appears they're going to be -- there is not room for two people to enter and stroll together, side by side, which seems not as good as it could be. Then, where is path going? To a dead end where there is no gate. It would be better not to bring the path all that way, but to leave off the last leg. Reconfiguring the layout to a wider, better fitting path seems like it would be an improvement for such a small space.

It's likely that a person would not enter the garden at all, because every aspect of it can be viewed and understood from the small patio. There is no reason to actually go into it. There is no place to sit in it, nor is any shelter offered. And no surprises (which is OK; they are not always required.) While there is a seat at the patio, there is no protection from sun, so it doesn't look like a space one might spend more than a very few minutes. The lack of privacy and sense of protection gives the garden an institutional feel. I think it would be better to have a shady place to sit.

We're looking at a computer generated picture, but it would be important to know what's on the other side of the fence, since it's relatively transparent and not tall enough to obstruct the view outside of the garden. IS there anything worth seeing beyond the fence? If so, then the Carpinus may eventually seem like somewhat of an obstruction. If not, could a visual obstruction(s) at the far end of the garden -- instead of at the center and fore portion -- be more useful?

Hedges or plants used as "edging" that appear "skinny" (relative to the overall space) look cheap to me. It would look better and be more practical if you allow about 21" to 24" width for the boxwood hedge. If you trim it properly it would have beveled sides, so that uses a few inches of width, and you might want a little space between it and the adjacent plants.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are absolutely right there is nothing visually appealing to look at on the other side of the fence. This is the front yard. My home is a historical monument ( Why exactly? evidently because some famous architect designed it at the turn of the century and it was one of the last buildings he did. I don't think its monument worthy but I dont get to decide and it was declared a monument after we had already bought the house)

In addition to it being a monument, the Home Owner Association has regulations as well which limit exactly what can be done. i.e. nothing attached to the building, nothing obstructing the view of the building, no changing the exterior in any way, no changing the front doors or windows, and the fence cannot be changed either.

The garden itself (not including the patio area) is 23.5 feet long and 14 feet wide. This is quite small by american standards (im american) but in Amsterdam Netherlands this is a large garden LOL.

The pathway is already in so that isn't changing. I have enclosed a picture of what the garden looks like as of yesterday. As you can see there isn't much to look at for sitting outside.

I agree that a wider path would be nice but since there is no space it has to be what it is. For the most part however the path is 3 feet wide. It is not big enough to walk side by side with someone but its definitely comfortable to walk though.

The reason for the path that circles around is to ensure access to the different points of the garden to tend to it while still being visually appealing.

I had posted yesterday on here but i dont see the second post, that the pyramid tree in the center I had shown in the original picture is not an evergreen afterall. The plant store had it mislabeled. It is actually deciduous and I am not spending 500 euro to put a tree there thats going to lose its leaves especially when the thing I liked the most about it was that I could decorate it as a christmas tree for christmas.

I appreciate your opinion on everything but I enjoy the look of short and thin boxwoods as edging. Those are staying. I agree with you though it seems like its too much crammed into a small space. The original plan for the center of the garden was a fountain and then that changed into a sun dial globe on a pedestal so that i didnt have to take a part the fountain in winter.

The real question here is knowing that the path is in and isnt changing, the boxwood edging is coming and that isnt changing, what to put in the boxwood beds that will be visually appealing year round.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heres a pic of the path looking from the street. The concrete tiles you see are leaving. They were actually all buried underneath the dirt in the yard in addition to a 144 other tiles that we already go rid of. These last ones will be gone this weekend.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was the original design for the garden.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

Could you switch (or overlay) the white gravel path that leads from the circular area to the fence with a darker gravel? That would still leave access to the garden area for maintenance but tone down the look of a 'path that goes nowhere' since the focus would then shift to the white path as something that circles the sundial. I did something like that with a secondary path leading off a main grass path - rather than having the secondary path also grass, it is a bark mulch path. The darker color 'recedes' and doesn't compete for attention/emphasis with the brighter main grass path. Try mocking that up and I think you'd see an improvement....

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The gravel isnt white actually its grey but it does look kinda white. It was just put in yesterday. (by me i might add lol) I appreciate your opinion but I dont think of it as a path that leads no where because it serves a purpose and i find it visually appealing.because i like symmetry. OCD i guess LOL. Different strokes for different folks i guess. It would drive me crazy if it wasnt there and that end of the garden was heavier than the other side. it has to be the same everywhere or I'd go nuts. Call me crazy but hey i'm just me lol.

I am hell bent on the short thin boxwood hedges also because it mimics a french formal garden which is what I like.

My biggest problem is figuring out what I am going to put in between the boxwoods in the little beds that will have interest year round. I cant stand a garden that has flowers 2 months out of the year and thats it. I think thats tacky.

I have considered using drift roses between the boxwoods but that means I need to plant bulbs for early spring, which i dont mind. This is Holland and we have no shortage of winter hardy spring bulbs. That still leaves me with something that is blah for late autumn and winter though. I'm not really keen on looking at barren sticks in between my boxwoods but that may very well have to be that.

I really cant' think of anything better than spring bulbs and drift roses and just having to deal with a blah winter garden. I plan on putting a christmas tree in the center during the winter though and doing the hedges and such with lights.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic that was taken this evening. It had rained today so the new gravel got a good washing of its dust so you can see here that the gravel is actually grey and not white. Also you can see the checkerboard pattern of the patio/deck area

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I like symmetry too and I think it looks ok, but the path and where it ends is driving me crazy as my symmetry also thinks there needs to be symmetry with the fence, but I would want the fence post in the middle of the path too.

Now in your original drawing with the flowers you have the path ending before the fence. I think that would work better since the fence post isn't symmetric. Have something to kind of hide that missing symmetry.

I think I'd plant some boxwoods at the end of that path between the fence to shield the obvious offest too and then put something like a small bench (or something else) at the end of that path to have a reason for the path. My mind is also not into whimsy so I want reasons for a path or it is also nagging on me. My brains logic tells me it has to lead somewhere and just ending at the fence then tells me it should have a gate there since there is a path, or it is the path leading to nowhere. Stopping it earlier didn't make it seem so much like a path as it looks more part of the design shape like it is a design of gravel vs. an actual path. Not sure how to describe it exactly so hopefully you get what I'm saying.

• nandina
    10 years ago

Thanks for the picture of the 'real' scene. Doubtful that plants are going to cooperate with your vision of perfection. May I tug a bit on your dream ideas and suggest four large, matching, wide-topped pots placed in each of the four areas instead of planting in the ground. These can be changed out seasonally; bulbs and pansies in the late fall and winter in each, followed by all four planted with the same annual combinations the rest of the year. This will give you a chance to garden a bit and play with different color combinations over the years. Maybe I am missing the point and you do not want to garden. Then use art/statues in place of plants in those four spots.

• agardenstateof_mind
    10 years ago

Nandina has come up with the best suggestion yet, in my opinion. You could really have some fun with the planters, changing out the plants to suit the seasons and your taste.

Perhaps it would help if we knew the purpose of this garden. Although it is a nice little garden for the space you have, I'm having trouble figuring out that one piece. The open fencework and low boxwoods don't provide much seclusion from what appears to be considerable traffic nearby, so I don't see it at a pleasant, inviting place to stroll or sit and relax, especially with a dearth of interesting plants that will change through the seasons. It doesn't do a lot to enhance the facade of the building. It isn't a productive yet attractive little herb garden. Even a birdbath and feeder (elegant ones are to be found) might attract some birds to add life, movement and interest.

As for a garden that is in bloom only some of the time being "tacky" ...

tack·y 2 (tk)
    adj. tack·i·er, tack·i·est Informal
    1. Neglected and in a state of disrepair: a tacky old cabin in the woods.
    a. Lacking style or good taste; tawdry: tacky clothes.
    b. Distasteful or offensive; tasteless: a tacky remark.

An off-season (or even an in-season) garden may look tacky if neglected, but a well maintained garden certainly need not look tacky, even in its dormant state. (Now, burlap-wrapped shrubs and trees on front lawns of McMansions ... in my book that is tacky. Better to choose something that can withstand the region's winter weather.)

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lyfia: The idea with the boxwoods in front of the fence hasn't changed. There is actually about a foot and a half of space from where the path closest to fence ends where there will be boxwoods that block it off (all boxwoods will be maintained at 30cm high by 30cm wide). The gravel doesn't meet the fence at all. The perception from the picture is throwing you off.

I agree I'd like the fence post dead center in the path but unfortunately, the fence was already there and cannot be changed due to home owner association restrictions. It slightly off center when looking at it in real life. The path is centered in the garden exactly and everything you see is exactly the same down to the last centimeter all around. I drove my husband crazy with that LOL. What I hate the most is the deck area being so much narrower then the main part of the garden. In order for the bench to be centered on the window causes it to not be centered with the path but it has to be centered on the window or it really wouldnt look right.

Nandina:

I am very interested in your idea. If you have the time perhaps you could explain that more thoroughly and with maybe some images to further explain? I'd like to mention though that space is very limited here in Amsterdam.

Agardenstateof_mind:

The style I am aiming for is to mimic a French Formal Garden albeit on a much smaller scale and the purpose of the garden is just to dress up the place for curb appeal more so then it is to entertain or stroll. Before I started working on this garden it was weeds as tall as the fence and 5 tree trunks just lopped off. I have dug up every square inch of this garden to be able to get this far lol.

The reason for the short clipped boxwoods is because I wanted to be able to form a nice pattern as opposed to stick tall and fat boxwoods along the sides like other people do. I am not interested in making a secluded space. We are very friendly here and it is not uncommon to speak with total strangers as they pass by. Also I have included a pic of what the actual building looks like not just my tiny part of it. It is a very old picture from google streetview.

I agree an untended garden is tacky but I also find gardens distasteful that are vibrant one minute and blah the next ;) I second your bit about McMansions though too!

My husband is actually worse about this than I am about the garden being attractive through all seasons. I could live with the winter being a bit blah if every other season was nice but he doesn't want that. I know if the garden was much larger and there was actual space to plant things that its not hard to create interest year round but when working in such a small and i mean SMALL space it makes it very difficult. There is less than 20sq ft in each of the four corner irregular shaped flowerbeds between the boxwoods.

I am considering using Heuchera Coral Bells between the boxwoods (flambe and amberwaves) in alternating pattern because they will be attractive to look at all year round and are evergreen here. They would be planted for the foliages as opposed to for their flowers so they are just bonus. The spiral topiary things would sit in the center of them.

The front yard isnt really for me to sit and enjoy as much as it is for everyone else that passes by to enjoy. All my entertaining will be done in the back yard which is slightly larger and can have a privacy fence.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Ashlie, I think it's wonderful - and the building is very handsome.

Nandina's ideas about planters sounds very appealing. Hope you can find some with a large diameter but not very tall.

I would like to know what material you used for corraling the gravel.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Rosie

• burntplants
    10 years ago

I have a suggestion for the end of the path at the fence: please put a bench here. It will provide a destination for the path, will be formal, and will not obstruct the view.

• nandina
    10 years ago

Ashlie, I have never posted pictures on GW because there is no way to protect them. But I have worked on displays for public viewing numerous times; from which I have developed my two personal cardinal rules. The final product must have 'bling' and (2) tucked somewhere into it must be a discrete bit of humor to be discovered and enjoyed by the observant passer-by.

I would like to add circles to your formal design in the classic manner. These can be introduced in the four corners as low, large, round weatherproof matching pots planted with color seasonally. If pansies will not survive your winters with spring bulbs waiting to emerge beneath for early color, then you will have to locate four simple things/objects to tuck on top of the pots to create interest during the dull, dormant months. This could be a fun project with neighbors watching for your pot creations every winter. Years of experience has taught me that the public loves bling and subtle humor in a display garden. And, it is fun for the gardener, too.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Burntplants: I will likely get a small stone bench (no back just the seat) to place at that end. Don't you worry ;)

Nandina:

I like your planter idea too but convincing my husband about something that has to switch out with the seasons is not likely going to happen. I do love the idea of the neighbors never knowing whats coming out next. Im quirky like that ;)

I've (we've) decided as of today (though likely to change a billion times before anything is actually planted) that we are going to use Cupressocyparis leylandii 'Castlewellan Gold' spiral topiaries in the center of the four corner beds and do a mass planting of heuchera as ground cover between in either berry smoothie or peach flambe which will give year round color in lieu of a traditional flower planting and will create a nice blanket for the spiral and give a nice contrast between the greens of the buxus and the leylandii.

It is simple but it is still quite colorful and will give a nice pop. I could plant lovely spring bulbs but this is Holland and the streets are quite literally lined in spring bulbs here so as special as that may be for people in the US its pretty common here and doesn't quite pack the wow factor as it would in the States (I am American my husband is Dutch)

The formal hedges, topiary, and heuchera are not something you would typical see walking down the street and would create a greater interest for the passerby, which in all honesty is the whole reason for doing up the front yard because I really will hardly ever sit out front. In the center there will still be the boxwoods and heuchera but the center piece will be a sun dial globe on a pedastal unless I can convince my husband on the fountain i really wanted. Although the fountain would be a pain in the neck at winter because I will have to move it so I can put up my giant christmas tree. I know that a tall christmas tree in the center with lights on the boxwoods and up the spiral topiaries is going to look amazing at Christmas. I am one of those people that rushes to put up the Christmas decorations the day after thanksgiving and leaves them up into January lol. Yes I still celebrate Thanksgiving even though I am in Europe lol. My husband likes having the turkey. He had never eaten it prior to me. Unfortunately I only can buy the breast because a whole turkey would cost like a 100 euro to buy but thats off topic.

Anyway. I thank you all for your input and putting up with my crazy obsessive tendencies and I know that once everyone sees what I create once its all said and done you will all love it. There is a method to my madness and what you may or may not "get" right now will make perfect sense when you see the completed project.

Thanks again :)
    Ashlie

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I'm convinced that if you implement any of your computer generated garden ideas, and maintain them similar to what's shown, you will have a garden that many passersby will adore. I'm sure that if any need tweaking in the future, you will make sure it happens, until it is right according to your idea of perfection.

"I am considering using Heuchera Coral Bells ... in alternating pattern." Just in case, a word of warning: rows of alternating plants can create a profound diagonal stripe effect. If it's wanted, no problem.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Yardvaark

It will all come together eventually. I am know that it will create a diagonal pattern which I guess for most people they wouldnt like because it doesn't look natural but in the case of a "formal" garden it would look intentional which is the idea. It may turn out that i do one ring of one type and another ring of another type instead of alternating. We'll see. I really like my landscape program (Realtime Landscape Architect) its quite a nifty little program even as a free trial. It awards me the ability to see how something might look ahead of time instead of shelling out money on an idea and then it fall flat in reality. For instance I was considering Ivy on a trellis on either side of the bench on the patio area to green up that side which sounds nice in idea but seeing it on the program it was a total bust and I would have went out and spent money on it only to be sorry about it later if i didnt have it. Its really a fun program I play on it all the time. One day I may actually just buy it outright (its 400 dollars) thats an expensive toy though lol.

Here is a picture of the garden using Lime Marmalade heuchera and berry smootie heuchera in a deliberate alternating pattern. I think it looks kinda nice. Unfortunately the program doesnt come with heuchera on the trial version so i had to manually create the images and upload them to the program so you cant quite distinguish what it is but the colors are true because they come direct from a real picture of the plant. I think its nice that this particular plant can offer such great color year round as opposed to flowers which offer it for such a short time.

• deviant-deziner
    10 years ago

Bling for your boxwood Nandina.
    {{gwi:51866}}From AIA garden tour 2009
    {{gwi:51867}}From AIA garden tour 2009

and some large pots set in a formal boxwood garden in SF - the water maiden keeps a look out :

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That stuff is cute. I love the statue. I'm afraid it would be a bit over the top for my neighborhood and such a small garden though. Amsterdam is a relatively low crime city but we still have thieves and vandals and they'd like run off with it or destroy it. Thanks for thinking of me

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Ashlie, I like the sundial on a pedestal in your last picture much better than the fat pyramidal tree.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fat pyramid tree turned out to be deicidous instead of evergreen which defeated the purpose of even having it. ( I wanted to decorate it for christmas lol) A fountain was the original idea and i switched it to the sundial a couple months ago because that will be easier to move in the winter to put up a giant christmas tree in winter. ( i really like christmas decorating)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Around here it is very common to wrap Christmas lights around deciduous shrubs. The villages tend to do it with street trees, and I'm sure there are a lot of examples around.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im sure that could look nice but it doesn't fit into my vision

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Ashlie, maybe I missed your answer if you gave it - I'd like to know what you used as banding between the gravel and the beds.

Thanks, Rosie

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Rosie,

Sorry about that. i remember that you had asked me and I had meant to respond but I guess i got sidetracked in other responses. I apologize.

it is just your standard treated wood planking meant for garden fences and such and of course there is a layer of root barrier fabric beneath. I don't know what English word for it is (which is horrible because i am american lol) The dutch word is antiworteldoek lol.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My husband brought the wood home from the dutch equivalent of home depot called Gamma atop his foldable bicycle lol. total cost for the wood 45 bucks and a lil elbow grease cutting it to size. which is 9 pieces 90cm long 2 pieces 150cm long 6 pieces 180cm long and 2 pieces 134 cm long.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

heres a pic just for giggles of what it looked like before we started laying the wood for the pathway.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

So glad you've posted the before pic. It was pretty awful, wasn't it?

The heuchera will look great. Needs shade here.

Rosie

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When we first started working on the garden it was 3ft high weeds as far as the eye could see including stinging nettles. Underneath all the weeds were 144 1ft x 1ft concrete patio pavers and 30 some odd 50x50cm gravel/concrete tiles. I guess the old owners chose to just dump dirt ontop of the tiles instead of taking them up. It was a nightmare. There was also like 5 tree stumps that we dug out by hand. Here's a pic of my husband with the tree stumps. after we got all the weeds out and the pavers out of the ground we dug up every single inch of the yard and went through it by hand pulling out roots galore. It has taken us since May of this year to get as far as the gravel path. We ended up laying the concrete pavers back down temporarily to help control the weeds until we were ready to do the path. Im so glad for the hardest part of the yard to be done with. The rest is just planting. Its going ot take 279 boxwoods to create my hedges and 76 heuchera and 4 spiral topiaries. It will cost around 1300 euro for all of that. We are far from wealthy so we have to do things in stages when we can save up the money. My husband is the only one working at the moment because my dutch language skills are not very good and its makign it hard to get a job. We have pretty much been working on the garden every weekend and over the summer in the evenings because it doesnt get dark till around 1030/11pm at night during the summer. Now the days are getting much shorter and it will be dark at 4pm pretty soon.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

The preparation can be a lot of, "fun!" :-)

I got a kick out of the lumber-hauling bicycle!

It seems to me that you intend to install boxwood at an incredibly close spacing. I am wondering if less would be more and save $ in the process ...?

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many people here in Holland don't own cars or even know how to drive them. my husband is one of them. we don't own a car but i know how to drive I just dont have a license in this country. the boxwoods are according to waht i have read supposed to be planted 7 per meter i think that is a bit of overkill because that would mean its one plant ever less than 6 inches. i will be planting 6 per meter or 1 every 6 inches. my plants are also coming only 20-25cm high so they will be quite small plants just under a foot tall. they only cost 1.20 a piece so they aren't so expensive. the boxwoods weill be around 350 bucks for 279 plants. including delivery. it is the spiral topiaries that are so expensive costing almost 800 bucks for 4 of them.

• moliep
    10 years ago

Hi Ashlie--- late to this thread.

I'm glad to see you posted photos of the actual street view and of neighboring yards. Also, the before photos certainly demonstrate the determination that the two of you have to create a front garden that suits your style. That lumber-on-bike photo was amazing!

To me, these photos put a different "slant" on your garden design. Seen in total, there seem to be many different approaches to landscaping along the front area of the complex. I think your more formal approach will stand out in contrast to some neighbor's more casual designs and will provide you with a garden that is "set" ---- not requiring much changing over the seasons. Not a bad thing, I feel, especially because you said there is a larger back yard for you to live in and work on.

I have nothing to add to the many great suggestions here. You might decide to use some of them when you see how the yard looks next year.

You should post some more photos as this projects moves along, and also again next year when plants have flushed out.

Molie

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey molie,

thanks for your comment. i will post more pictures of my garden as it progresses. the boxwoods 'should' go in next month but we will see it might have to wait till next year. the weather here is starting to get cold and the boxwoods (from what i've read) need to be in the ground 6 weeks before the first freeze. The other plants will definitely go in next year. Once the garden is presentable i will make a thread with pics that will show everything thats happened from start to finish.

i'm torn between boxwoods and the lonicera nitida maigrun for the hedges. The lonicera is a lot of upkeep and the boxwoods blight have me concerned. i dont want to have to be a slave to my garden and i dont want to have to worry everyday the blight boogeyman is gonna get me.

the other buxus alternatives are way out of my prices range for the amount of plants i need. 279 plants at 5 bucks a piece is not going to happen lol. thats 1400 bucks just on the hedges lol. i'm not rich or anything remotely close to rich or "well off'.

my backyard is wider by an extra 3 feet or so and is around 30 feet long. it has a brick garden house taking up the back left corner but other than that its a clean slate to work with. unfortunately though the building complex is like a donut. the backyards are completely surrounded by the building without any street access.The backyard is very shady so i look forward to a nice shade garden with hostas and heuchera i also want to build a brick fireplace/grill.

the front yards of my neighbors are all pretty much junk. some are maintained somewhat but most arent. im hoping by me really doing up my front yard the others will notice how bad theirs look and then maybe take pride in their own and work to create a good looking face for our building. my yard used to be the ugliest one on the entire block and when it is finished it will be the nicest. it will be nice to be the " jones' " for once and let someone else keep up with me HA HA.

my neighbor to my left (from standing in my front door) is an old man who is sick in the hospital since june now. his garden has always looked like crap but he isnt well enough to tend to it so i dont make problems for him. the lady to my right keeps her yard nice. The other ones on the building not so much and the other buildings on the block don't at all. its quite disappointing because its actually a really nice area where i live despite the graffiti on the wall across the street from me. i wish that business would paint over it already lol.

anyways thanks for your comment ;)

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Ashlie, hope you can enlist some of your other neighbors and clean up/spruce up your ill next door neighbor's garden. It would be such a pleasant surprise for him and a lovely thing for y'all to do.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We actually did do that for him when he first went in to the hospital but its been a few months and its quite worse for the wear again. I honestly dont think he will be coming home at all. hes quite old and its already been so long. My husband and i have been taking care of his cats and fish.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Ashlie

I was thinking about your garden today. I remember from the rose forum just how important the formal look is for you.

My 2 cents, worth less than that, are as follows:

Benches
    I would move that bench under the window to the back yard and look for something in metal with vertical slats that would be as wide as the window. I am not sure if the gate is what is shown as open and partially under the window, if it would still open with a bigger bench. If it would be a problem, I would see if you can swap sides that the gate operates on so a bigger bench can better anchor the checkboard patio and not look so off balance with the rest of the design. I would purchase a smaller chair or bench to fit at the far end of the gravel walk. The vertical slats should diminish the out of balance posts on the fencing.

Or

If you stay with your plans and using that bench you have, I would consider keeping the perimeter boxwoods taller than the interior ones. A concrete bench like you mentioned for the end of the walk will be very similar in color to the gravel and will visually become part of the walk way. Keeping the hedge slightly higher than the bench will create a visual stop before the fence. It would also help screen the yard with the wooden fence.

Topiary Trees

If you are going to do the spiral trees, will you be matching the directions of the spirals so they spiral in or out or will they all be going in the same direction? I think about a shopping center here that has vines spiral around columns I would bet they were intended to go the same way, but not installed that way and it looks funny to have them going in random spirals. Personally I would have one side spiral one direction and the other side the opposite.

Also, I would reconsider any underplanting if you do use spiral topiary because you will have to maintain that and will be standing on your underplantings. I would probably use bark and spend the money planned on those plants on the bench.

Hope that was worth 2 cents

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey kippy the hippy (great name btw)

Thanks for responding! i am actually not happy with the bench that is there it looks to 'light" not in color but in weight and doesn't really anchor that area at all. Also unfortunately the gate swings in 3 feet past the window and cannot be flipped to open the other way. I already thought about that lol i hate that it opens in. We aren't allowed to alter the fence due to home owners association rules. (its like the gustapo here with that stuff) My husband is adamant that the gate has to open to a full 90 degree angle. I am not concerned with that but he is fighting me on that one. That makes having something that takes up the full window impossible because the furniture's depth and width would then impair that 90 degree angle.

Im not quite sure what exactly you were suggesting with the metal so maybe you could show a picture of what you were talking about?

I also agree with you about making the perimeter plants a bit higher. When we buy the boxwoods they will all be the same size (due to cost of taller ones) My original idea was to do something like you see in this picture here. disregard that there isnt any boxwoods at the edge of the fence because there will be.

In this picture you see how it kinda staggers in height with it being 90cm high at the very corners and then stepping down to 60cm and then the lowest parts being 30cm (30cm is roughly 1 ft) It will be a matter of letting them grow to that height which will take a few years so it will have to be short for a while. i cannot afford 1200 euro on boxwoods to buy them already at the necessary height.

I am intrigued by your idea of not even doing any underplantings at all and just using mulch instead. i agree an underplanting will get in the way of maintenance of the topiaries. I am concerned that not having anything though might make the garden appear too lifeless.

I really appreciate your constructive criticism. Some other people on here might as well have just out right told me it looks like S*** for as rude as they came off to me, but I asked for honest opinions and i got what i asked for so im not complaining lol.

Anyways thanks for you great idea!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

"im hoping by me really doing up my front yard the others will notice how bad theirs look and then maybe take pride in their own and work to create a good looking face for our building." I think that the formal choice is a great one for this goal because the extreme manicure demonstrates the more intensely refined manipulation of landscape. Even if people don't want that for themselves, they like to look at it ... like a department store window display. As long as yours is well maintained (and I have no doubt it will be) it will create the snowball effect of fixing up other yards within the neighborhood ... maybe even farther than you can anticipate now.

Still seems like too close together on the boxwood unless they are cellphone sized.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey Yardvaark,

i agree not everyone will want manicured hedges for themselves but everyone likes to look at. i agree it sounds like its too close together but these plants will be quite small and lacking fullness when i get them. They aren't going to be coming as perfect filled out cubes. Mine will be smaller than the ones you see here in this pic. They will be only 9-12 inches tall when delivered.

• moliep
    10 years ago

HA! Ashlie, we share the same "problem!" Many of the neighbors around us have junky/dumpy yards. In fact, the folks right across the street have a yard that causes folks to stop in their tracks and stare--- kind of like the old American TV show, "Sanford and Sons."

We've been here 10 years and have done a lot of gardening and landscaping. In time, many of our neighbors have told us that our yard inspired them to also fix up theirs. So I have to believe that this will probably happen with you --- that your work will encourage others to clean up their yards.

Regarding your choice of hedge material, I'm sure you've done lots of online research and know that there really is no such thing as a maintenance-free garden. I do think the boxwood will be a better fit for your design, even though it will require clipping to keep its form. If you can get these plants in before winter, you'll have a start towards the overall design next spring.

Definitely keep us posted on the development of your front garden.

Molie

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey molie,

the plan is to get them in the ground come november when the bare roots plants become available. i am concerned that i get them and then we have a freeze and they die. evidently they need 6 weeks before the first freeze to get acclimated. Also if they go in in november i wont miss a growing season. If i wait till early spring (still danger of a freeze) from what i have read they will miss their growing season because they didnt have sufficient time to become acclimated.

I think the boxwoods are the right choice too. i will just have to roll the dice with them and pray the blight boogeyman doesn't come to get me.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I don't think boxwoods will care 6 weeks or 6 hours before freeze. (They will only care if they if they have fresh, tender growth, but it should not take 6 weeks to harden it.)

On another subject, I did not perceive that anyone said your garden looked bad. Just that some had other ideas and other suggestions.

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You werent who I was referring to yardvaark :) Could just be that it came across wrong when I read it and they meant nothing nasty. You never really know when your reading words how someone means them. Some of the comments hit me a lil off but perhaps i was just being oversensitive.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Hi Ashlie,

Thank you! I enjoy gardening but am not a designer (back in the day dad used to consult on tree/plant health in our area so I have had the opportunity to spend time in a lot of private $$ gardens-Montecito and Hope Ranch in SoCal) And of course any time we traveled we visited more gardens. I always think about the long term management of the installations I see around me. Some designers seem to miss that the plants have needs and growth patterns and will need maintenance. (talking about locals in my area not on this forum)

Hopefully the image opens correctly, but that is what I meant about a metal bench with vertical slats.

It is too bad about that gate. I think I would still use a "stronger" looking bench to anchor the patio as part of the formal garden.

I like your plans with the hedge with it going across the front, no gap at the walkway. I think it would be easier to maintain an underplanting under the sundial in the center and would give you that pop of color.

Looking forward to seeing your project as it continues! I just pulled out two large old plum tree stumps yesterday. What a nasty job!

• Ashlie Neevel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like that bench a lot. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one like that. taking out trees is a pain in the neck especially when your doing it with regular old hand tools. I didn't think we'd ever finish with ours. we had 5 of them in total.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County