Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Incorporating Vegetables into your Landscape

Posted by aloha2009 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 20:02

Has anyone seen a successful way to incorporate various vegetables within a landscape where a person would have to almost take a double take to realize that vegetables are part of the landscape> I'm not referring to an area that is exclusively vegetables but a way to see flowering bushes, perennials and vegetables next to each other. I'd like vegetables like tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, spinach. Are there certain flowers that help vegetables to grow their finest? or that look good with vegetables?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Incorporating Vegetables into your Landscape

This year, I sprinkled my squash, pepper, eggplant and tomato plants among my shrubs and planted marigolds nearby to keep pests away. The tomatoes spread out all over the place like they usually do but the other plants added a richness to my beds.
Rosalind Creasy has written about edible landscaping. You may find her information helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosalind Creasy - Edible Landscaping

o

Just look at the texture of the foliage, the size of the plant, and the color of flowers and fruits.

Okra and eggplant make a nice 1-season flowering "bush". Tomatos and peppers also.

Most herbs make good low "green thing" border, as do spinach and lettuce. Chard makes a good back row plant with huge leaves.

The vining things can be your ground cover, or use them on a pergola for shade.

o

BlossomDesigner, thanks for the link of eye candy to Rosalind's gardens. I have never heard of her before, but I'll be sure to check out her book from the library. The link you provided had a lot, I'm sure the book will have that much more.

LazyGardens, the only thing I have ever planted is tomato plants (and few of them), so the info you provided as far as things that look good is all new to me. We're not doing any grass though in the backyard so I thought it would be beneficial to somehow incorporate vegetables in the garden...especially since I eat a lot of vegetables.

o

• Posted by feijoas Temperate New Zealan (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 4:38

My edible garden is mainly out the back, but I have a few edible plants out the front. It's a pretty challenging area, being mostly shady, dry, sandy and windy.
I have very limited space in my actual vege garden, and I've put plants at the front that need space, like globe artichokes.
They get huge and are very good-looking, especially if I let some of the 'chokes' flower.
Giant red mustard is a beautiful plant, as is red chard.
Chillies and peppers can be very pretty.
I also grow feijoa (pineapple guava) rosemary, purple sage, alpine strawberries, currants, gooseberries, oregano and chervil
I find tomato plants need too much support to look much good.
Red cabbage looks great in an ornamental garden, and pumpkins, aka winter squash can look good too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here