Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LandScaping Novice: Super Sandy Soil Question

Posted by texasmochi 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 13, 11 at 20:40

Forgive me in advance. I'm pretty skilled in the vegetable garden, but I'm entering an area now where I'm a total novice.

I'm moving to North Padre Island (Corpus Christi area) Texas in January, and the small backyard at the house has extremely sandy soil. I am not interested in a lawn of any type (now the "lawn" looks like a balding man's head - wisps of grass here and there with skin showing through).

What I really want is to have a stone-pebbles and/or mulch base and on that have my "yard". I'd like raised beds and planter boxes, a path winding through it, an above ground water feature (glorified bird bath), and a little meditation corner. Does that make sense?

I just don't want to want to waste what precious little water we have here in this area trying to keep a lawn alive in this type of soil. I also feel pretty sure it would cost a small fortune to amend this soil to bring it up to a standard acceptable for the kind of gardenign I want to do -(vegetables, herbs, and a floral bee garden).

I know what to do in every area but creating that foundation. My first thought was to level the ground and put down heavy duty landscape fabric - then the mulch and rocks over that, but I've read a lot of posts here saying don't do that.

Here is where I'm stuck. If I don't do that - how should proceed?

Thanks in advance for any advice - I truly appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LandScaping Novice: Super Sandy Soil Question

May I suggest paver bricks? And of course, you can lay them better than I did with my path leftovers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here