Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soda7

My house for sale: Can anything fix my curb appeal?

Soda7
9 years ago

I just put my house on the market and from the realtor's photo of the house front, I just realized how sad and ugly the house front is. When I moved here, I planned to beautify it, but life events eventually took over. After a while, I stopped noticing how it really looks.

Now I think it will turn buyers away, before they get to see the nicer interior. Any ideas? I have a tiny budget for supplies and materials (maybe $300), and I'll do the work myself. I don't have good design sense and also don't know what options might make a difference. If this was your house or you were advising a client, what would you choose to do on such a small budget to add curb appeal?

Located in USDA ZONE 7A. The front door faces West. I'll attach photos I took today.

CURRENT PLANTS IN FRONT YARD, viewed from the street:
Left side, a two-story maple tree has dark purple leaves in Spring that turn green in Summer.
Left side, behind maple tree, 2 Nandinas are in the low bed. In summer, this bed gets sun only in early afternoon because the maple tree in front of it.
Right side, raised brick bed has 2 English Laurels, 2 Rosa Rugosas, and Vinca minor groundcover. The Rugosa's are not well placed and their branch structure is messy. They don't look nice for such a prominent position at house front. Should I remove the Rugosas?

AROUND THE PICTURE WINDOW AREA?. All the man-made components around the picture window have similar color tones, including the indoor window drapes. The overall effect is anemic and dull. The siding and window trim are vinyl. The bulky window drapes make the window look more narrow. I could remove some drape panels to allow opening the drapes wider. Or I could remove the drapes entirely, which would possibly add definition to the window viewed from outdoors. But of course if no window covering, there'd be no privacy for us occupants in that room at night.

DOORWAY/ENTRANCE AREA:
STORM DOOR is metal with white factory paint. The front panel has rusted screw heads and rust is on hinges at the left side of door. The glass is one single sheet, not multiple separated panes. The metal grid just sits on top of the glass. The storm door's lines interfere with the lines of the primary door, although this "clash" is not too visible from the street. Removing the storm door could be tough because of flanges, trim, hinges, and screws in the metal frame surrounding it. I have no power tools, and afterward I'd need to properly patch any voids and holes, then paint them. Maybe I could ask the realtor, who is also a contractor, to remove the storm door but I may have reached a limit in asking him favors.

PRIMARY DOOR is substantial, metal, and factory painted beige. This door is better quality and condition than the storm door. The storm door's lines interfere with the primary door's lines, although this "clash" is not too visible from the street.

SHOULD I PAINT THE DOOR(S) AND/OR PAINT THE SHUTTERS? There are eight vinyl shutters, that have a "wood" texture. Their color is a little faded in places. Would painting the shutters and door a particular color improve the overall look of the house?

MULCH. Right now, thin old mulch covers the soil in the two beds, but the cost of new mulch may leave no money for other front yard needs. Maybe I could remove all the twigs and leaf debris from the soil to improve the appearance.

OTHER MATERIALS ON HAND:
=Two Euonymus shrubs with green and bright yellow variegations are planted in a side yard. In sun, there's a chartreuse effect. One shrub is 3-4 feet tall, the other shrub is smaller and more compact. See photos. I don't know whether these shrubs would complement anything at the house front and don't know how easy they are to transplant.
=Five large panels of thin wood lattice, the kind commonly used under porches. They've never been but are weathered gray. This kind doesn't have a frame around their perimeter.
=Two wood trellises, 5 feet high x 20 inches wide. Very simple, weathered, but nice design.

EVEN WITH ALL MY WORDINESS ABOVE, I may be overlooking important issues. I don't know how to prioritize on this or choose wisely. I'd love to hear any and all perspectives and suggestions. Thanks. .. (I'm not sure all my photos loaded..)

This post was edited by Soda7 on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 22:03

Comments (21)

• Soda7
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry, I'll try again to add the other images here.

This post was edited by Soda7 on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 22:05

• User
    9 years ago

Soda7,
    Since your budget is very tight, here is what I would do if
    I were you,
    Go buy some big beautiful mum pots and stick them where you have open spots in front of your windows. In those beds.
    I would also buy some cheap fresh dark brown mulch and just do the front beds only.
    I would keep the tree out front raked up.
    Try to rake under the tree as often as you can.
    A nice welcome mat coming into the home would be inviting, and you could shop around for something inexpensive.
    Where are your house numbers?
    Other than that, I think you will do alright.
    Its hard when you are selling and broke, but for the landscaping, your home is alright.
    Add colorful mums and mabey even a small pot of pansies too.
    Good Luck!

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

I agree with the above poster. Bright mums would add a splash of color and a door mat would be nice. Trim the hedges to a uniform height. I too think you will do alright.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Mums have such a short lifespan that I would not recommend them for someone with a very limited budget. In zone 7, you can keep pansies alive and blooming until there is a hard freeze. I would fill the beds with yellow pansies - yellow flowers stand out better than other colors.

Is the roof dirty or is that just shading in the photo? There is a product called Spray and Forget that is supposed to clean roof shingles.

Make sure your windows are clean, the front porch area paint is fresh, and hardware is clean and shiny, including the mailbox.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spray and Forget

• Soda7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the good suggestions. I wish I could find mums that have some impact but so far the only ones I've found locally are the short compact types.

These small photos don't show how beat up the hardscape and plantings are. I sized the photos small to fit better on gardenweb's slower system. Up close, the shrubs are scraggly and have missing areas. The hard surfaces are shabby and discolored.

Maybe I have to accept that there are no plants or paint options that will magically divert the eye away from the less beautiful elements. I appreciate the two suggestions already and any additional ideas.

• Soda7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The different tones on roof are shadows from tall neighboring trees I think. Planting a slew of pansies would make things festive. Also I wonder if tall-ish ornamental grasses would be a good choice to plant in front of the larger window (after removing the Rugosas.)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The greatest offender is the head-scraping low foliage of the tree. It looks obstructive as if it's trying to hide something shameful on the house. The low "ceiling" it creates doesn't look welcoming so would trim low limbs up first and foremost. Then, downsize and shape the shrubs into matching sets (as much as possible.) Get rid of ALL weeds in the beds. Touch up any exposed soil with fresh brown mulch. I don't think adding seasonal color will develop quickly enough or last long enough to bother with. Evaluate if pressure washing will make a difference with hard surfaces.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 12:23

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

List we were given when we sold mom's house said that all shrubs & groundcover should be contained inside the bed(brick) so you could take old scissors & trim back the plant that is hanging down to the ground back to inside the brick, then eyeball the shrubs & trim back anything that is over on lawn side of brick & even up shape of 2 shrubs on left side as the 1 by the front door is hanging over so part of area around door doesn't show, try to have those 2 shrubs same exact size as same kind of bush. Then under window you could try trimming them below the sill & other 2 shrubs same height as ones on left side. If all 6 are same height might not look as good as if those 2 under window are little higher. You don't want house & shrubs all squared off looking. Because of the boards running parallel with ground on all the light wood the shrubs same height might not look so hot. Maybe a landscape person could explain it better. As for front door it looks good but a mat from Target, Wal Mart ,Home Depot ,etc Maybe with some brown in it and since it is fall a little orange or red, tan, or deep green, nothing wild just stone looking or something they have some pretty ones & would be welcoming. Be sure glass on light is clean & metal part too. I had all the windows clean & 1st couple that came bought it for price we asked. So 1st impressions do matter & leaves all over people will think-lot of work so don't let them get too built up. Good Luck hope it sells fast!

• Soda7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad to get reminded about the need for clean up.

Yardvaark, I hadn't noticed the effect from the low hanging tree branches and I see what you mean.
    After completing those tasks.. . any opinions about improving the doorway? I'm still bothered by the awkward look of this specific storm door against the primary door. Up close, the storm door is cheezy and has a worn finish and rusty screw heads and hinges. Any ideas about removing the storm door - -or painting one or both doors a specific color?

I keep thinking about the large empty places between shrubs. Would planting 1 or 2 ornamental grass clumps make it look better? (Chosen right, their form lasts through winter). Or not a good choice for the empty spaces? Thanks again everyone.

• Jlynn77854
    9 years ago

I am not an expert but I love black doors. I would paint the door, put house numbers on it and take down the storm door while you are trying to sell.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

As part of my business, I often consult with homeowners to improve curb appeal before they put their house on the market.

Typically, it is suggested NOT to invest in new plants for the landscape. Purchasers almost always will redo the landscape to their liking (I have several new purchases as design projects going right now!) so it makes little economic sense to spend your limited dollars there.

Generally the suggestions are to tidy things up. Weed, prune, rake and remulch. And some seasonal color always makes the entry more appealing, even just a container of pansies. It adds color, interest and draws the eye to the front door. Just look at the example above. And I like the idea of removing the storm door (save and store in garage/basement for new owners) and painting the front door an attractive color. New door mat, new house numbers, maybe matching hardware (porch light, mailbox, knocker or handles) and you are good to go.

Make sure porch is clean and in good repair. Fix any cracks and consider painting, if appropriate.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

If you painted both doors, that would work. If you want to remove storm door and paint main door, that would be fine, too.

Agree with GG that planting is not going to be a help. Whenever I've looked for property I always appreciate an empty slate. The less there, the better ... with the exception of well placed trees. Often, however, they are not well placed so are a liability.

• Lars
    9 years ago

I also agree with GG and advise against planting ornamental grasses - I prefer a blank slate myself. Getting rid of the leaves on the front yard will help, and you will want the grass to look nice. Also make sure that the gutters are clean and in good condition.

I cannot even see house numbers on your house - getting nice ones might not be all that cheap. I spent over $200 on mine and removed the tacky numbers that the previous owners had. You can get good ones for $100 (for 4 digits), but the new owners may prefer to select the house numbers themselves, as they can be very taste specific.

Trimming the trees is a good idea also.

I'm not familiar with storm doors, but I've seen houses with iron security doors, and those are not attractive at all. I would remove the storm door and make the entrance to the house easier and more welcoming. Why is there a storm door in the first place? Is it for protection from hurricanes? I used to live in Houston, and I do not remember storm doors there, although I do remember screen doors in Texas.

Lars

• Soda7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any suggestions about door paint colors, given the existing other colors? I think a black door can look super elegant in many cases, but maybe wouldn't work as well with my shutters which are dark brown.

Interesting about not installing new plants when a house is on market. My thought was that filling in a blank space (within reason) might look better. My market is probably first time home buyers. Younger people who aren't yet gardeners may not see the value/ potential of a blank slate.

Indoors, my realtor and a friend have said my minimalist furnishings are cold looking and need some strategic items to make rooms more inviting. Considering that, I was thinking a couple bigger plants would make the outdoors -- by magic! -- more inviting. I take your points about the addition of permanent plants not being 100 percent called for in home selling. I'm probably dreaming outside of my budget anyway.

To answer publickman, storm doors insulate the primary door against winter cold air/ summer hot air, and protect the primary door from driving rain. Maybe storm doors were first developed for entrances that don't have a porch or other roof. Also many storm doors have screens for summer use.

Thanks again everyone.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

I would remove the shutters next to the door. Just looks odd to me. I'd also remove the ones for the double window next to the door. They are not the same as the upstairs ones and having two different kinds of shutters and different colors on the too should be avoided.

Trim the tree up, trim the bushes into nice shapes, power wash the brick planters so they look like the brick on the house, mulch, and paint the door.

With the shutters gone next to the door it opens up to many different colors. Black, dark green, charcoal, red.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I would put a colorful wreath on the bottom of the door and plant some pansies in the ground around the shrubs. Young buyers or not, color really adds to the property. We sold a house in Florida mostly because it had curb appeal. We had red hibiscus in bloom and several other flowering shrubs.

• laag
    9 years ago

The buyer will have a vision. Save your $300. It will not make a difference. Honestly. the house is a cute house that will or won't appeal to a particular type of buyer. That buyer will look forward to making it their own.

There is nothing about that house's landscape that is going to keep a prospective buyer from looking at it.

• User
    9 years ago

Trim up the tree, clean up the beds, and paint the door a deep orangey red, similar in tone to the dark in your brick. It will work with the brown shutters and is a warm bright color to draw the eye. A couple of quick color pots of yellow pansies would complete your makeover.

• atmoscat
    9 years ago

If you post in the home decorating forum, they will help you pick a color for the door. They make some really out-of-the-box suggestions and will photoshop it in to help you visualize it. I think a medium to dark blue might work well, but you should see what they come up with. Also agree about adding some pansies or mums to brighten things up and leaving the planting at that. Good luck!

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Yeah, I agree with most above:

Trim tree
    Pull weeds and refresh mulch
    Shape up bushes
    Powerwash if needed
    Add color - pots of flowers or a wreath
    Pretty house numbers
    If you have the time/interest - paint the door(s)

• catkim
    9 years ago

Your house will really stand out if it is CLEAN inside and out. Clean windows, clean front door area, clean garage, clean bathrooms, clean kitchen, including inside the oven and microwave. If your home has been well maintained, it will sell. If necessary, spend the $300 on professional cleaning.

Outdoors, seriously, just keep the leaves raked up and the lawn neat. Your "curb appeal" won't improve by putting a loud color on the door. A nice pot of pansies, well, sure, why not?