Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privacy Hedge for Sunset Zone 24

Posted by cfonline2010 none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 21:20

Hello,

(Cross post to California forum, too. )

I have been a lurker for about 12 years, seriously. An amateur, who has learned an unbelievable amount but now I need your input. (And I had to sign up again. ;)

Here's the scoop: Mediterranean plan for both house and landscape. The house faces west and gets full sun. We would like to put a hedge around the perimeter of the wall to ensconce the front yard and give some privacy. Ideally, the hedge would be dark green, non-lacy, 4-5 ft max high and about 2-3 wide (as you can see width availability varies.) We know we will need to maintain.

Have considered almost all appropriate plants but for various reasons (thorns, messy fruit, deciduous, doesn't take to shearing well, too large, etc.) discarded them.

I would love to hear what you would consider if this was your front yard. I am happy to post the list of plants in consideration, once I can find my many lists!

Many thanks,
CF

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privacy Hedge for Sunset Zone 24

Have you considered Myrsine africana?

o

Thanks for your reply, emmarene. I didn't even know what it was and had to look it up. It would fit the bill, but we already have the boxwood lining the pathway. I was hoping to add a bit more variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: African Boxwood

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 1:58

You might consider using either Grewia occidentalis or Metrosideros collina 'Spring Fire'. Both do well in zone 24, but would need regular pruning because they want to get taller than 5 feet.

o

Twisted myrtle, myrtus boetica, has no thorns, is evergreen, and definitely Mediterranean in character. It is a slower growing plant so it would take time to become a hedge but would also be easier to keep the size you want. It makes an unusual but very attractive hedge.

Another Mediterranean plant that makes a great hedge is teucrium fruticans but it is sliver rather than the green you wanted.

I have several of both of these and find them tough, beautiful additions to the landscape. Maria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here