Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jute netting needed for slope in my yard?

Posted by abufish z10 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 23:48

My side yard has a long slope, not super steep (6ft high and 13ft deep). Right now there are very little plants on it, mostly bare soil. I plan to plant some Myoporum to help reduce soil erosion and make it look nicer, but I'm not sure if I need to apply Jute netting first? One gardener told me yes and another said no...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jute netting needed for slope in my yard?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 11:23

Is soil coming off or looking like it might?

o

Yes, the soil has slowly came off during the last 10 years or so (we just moved in), right now there's a section the soil is leveling with my side walk. I would say the soil erosion is minor.

o

With not seeing the site or knowing your soil profile, I would error on the side of safety and install the jute netting.
The myroporum is not going to provide any sufficient upper range root matting control for a while.

If Cal Trans is any indication in regards to preparing for the upcoming rainy season , in my area you can see them out in full force applying jute netting on open and newly cut hillsides.

Seems like a pretty small investment for what could potentially be a big cost benefit if we get a lot of rain and your soil surface area is loose.
It can even mitigate a 'minor' amount of subsurface erosion by keeping the top layer intact if there is a minor sub surface slide.
In a moderate to big slide, no amount of jute is going to help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here