Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for Landscape Architect in the DC-Maryland area?

Posted by billy_g 6B - DC Area (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 0:17

Can anyone recommend a good landscape architect in the DC - Maryland area? Preferably I am looking for someone not affiliated with a landscaping company as I already have one of those... but it's not an absolute.

I asked in another thread but I think my question was buried.

Thanks,
Billy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for Landscape Architect in the DC-Maryland ar

Oehme Van Sweden comes immediately to mind.
http://www.ovsla.com/

o

wow. good recommendation - how many of their books do I own?

o

Van Sweden's work is gorgeous! Wow... but I doubt we can afford them at this point, especially since a lot of the work that would have been profitable for them is already done.

If possible I would like to find an experienced LA who may have left a big firm and is out on their own.

Billy

o

I think it would be worth a call to see what OvS office charges for a residential planting plan. I can't image that they are that much more expensive than any other highly qualified designer who bills out in the $ 125 - 175 per hour range.
All the firms ( small and large) are pretty competitive these days.

I briefly perused your first post and thought you were looking for a planting plan only. If I'm mistaken, my apologies.

If OvS is not a good fit for you then try looking at the ASLA website. American Society of Landscape Architects.

Another option is a well respected landscape designer in your area. There is an association called APLD, Assc. of Profession Landscape Designers, but from my N. California experience of the local association , a fair portion of their members are new to the landscape industry ( 10 years or less)

To be perfectly blunt, it takes many years of experience to really get a grasp on this field. That is why when you see designers highlighted in magazines and books they have usually put in a good 20 - 25 years of working experience.
Even without a trained eye, one can usually tell the difference.

o

I may be able to refer you to someone. If you want, shoot me an email with the scope of work and your zip code, zepptours [a t] gmail

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here