Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsgurleygirl

Few questions-new home

catsgurleygirl
10 years ago

Hello Everyone,
My husband and I are moving and I was wondering if I could get a few questions answered about our new backyard. We really want a vegetable garden, but I do want it to be aesthetically pleasing and to fit in with the backyard (we did the community vegetable gardens for a few years, so I am familiar with gardening and I know that all gardens start to look pitiful towards the end of the season, I am just talking about design). We also have a stone retaining wall and I was wondering if it would be worth it to plant anything up there or if it's best just to leave that space alone (or if anyone has any really cool ideas for on the wall or in front of it, etc). The house is on a corner lot-however it is on a dead end, so we were going to petition the city to move the fence out on the side yard as far as we can to the sidewalk to reclaim that area. If we are successful, we will get an extra 10 ft deep (at least). The back yard slopes up to the fence in one section, and I am wondering if it would be worth it to try to garden it as is (maybe do squash or something like that) or would it be much better to try and do some terracing, there is a wooded area behind that section and I don�t even know how much sun something would get there (the house faces west). Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time! Btw, the two pics I included to try to give a sense of what I am talking about. The second picture, while elementary looking was the best I could come up with-the red "S" denotes where the slope is, the green rectangle denotes where we are thinking about doing the veg garden, the yellow line denotes the property boundary and the pink arrow shows where we want to move the shed. Thanks!

Amanda

P.S. Sorry for the multiple repy postings, I havent figured out how to put multiple pics on one post.

Comments (10)