Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ideas for an open area of 800 sq ft

Posted by rhcha Southern Ca (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 11:34

We have this wooded area off our driveway; the entrance to which is a small flagstone patio. To the right and left of the patio are very irregularly shaped open areas, about 400 sq ft each. They are set off by rock and brick bordors from the wooded areas which includes azaleas, gardenias, trees, etc. We originally had grass in this open area. Replaced that with wood chips which attracted termites. So that is gone now. Am looking for very low maintenance ideas for these two areas. Water is very expensive here so not too interested in grass again. Would appreciate any ideas anyone might have. Shade to partial shade is the sun condition. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ideas for an open area of 800 sq ft

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 16:12

What sort of woods? Live oaks, eucalyptus? How do you use the open area? Do you want it all walkable, or do you want to use paths through plants? How would you describe the soil? Is this a level area?

o

Wooded area trees are live oak, olive trees and pine. The area is pretty much to view only and it is slightly sloped. Soil is not real good, on the sandy side. We would put a path in if necessary.

Thanks for responding.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 11:45

I wonder if a decomposed granite surface would appeal to you? The olives and pines with the rock and brick borders suggest a mediterranean garden, and DG is used extensively in southern France and Italy. Once installed, it's easy to care for, and no water issues. Your garden might have the feel of a country house in Provence.

If you have a few photos you could share, you'll get more feedback.

o

That is a great idea. Thanks so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here