Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning out a dry well

Posted by growingadvice 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 12:07

has it put in about 2.5 years ago with a sewer cover. there is nothing going in there by rain water... and sand/dirt, my kids throwing pebbles in, etc.

I want to clean it out bc it looks like there's enough sediment on the bottom that its not draining as well as it did. (soil is pretty gravely, so drainage shouldn't be a problem)

what do you folks say the easiest way to do this would be?

the only think I can think of is taking the cover off, putting a ladder in, climbing down, and bringing up one bucket at a time. Sounds kinda like the opposite of fun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning out a dry well

Enlist the kids! They'd probably think it was cool, and if they don't, well, make 'em. You could use a rope as a pulley if they don't put too much weight in it.

o

How deep is it? You could try a shop vac.

o

um, before I advocate sending anyone in there, what's this made of? How will the sides be braced when someone's down there? There's a reason why you see elaborate safety rigs whenever the city crews clean out a storm drain.

o

59in to cover

I'm not sure what is made of. If you have a suggestion on how to find out?

I do remember the thing looked like a big tree root with a black burlap material around it. I only got a brief glimpse of it as the Crain was moving it. It was part of a much bigger project and I wasn't around when it was put in.

o

I wouldn't climb down there and definitely wouldn't send a child. You say this was part of a much bigger project - by a local municipality? Is this, or join with, a storm sewer system? Is it on your property, or is there an easement on your property for this drain?

If this is part of a public system, I would think it might be really frowned upon for a private citizen to be down in it, messing around.

o

This in my property. About 10 ft away from my house. Had an addition put in, replaced driveway and leach field.

o

That is what you would call a confined space not only could there be a hazard of collapse more likely there could be a low oxygen environment or sewer gases from material decaying.

i would attempt to clean with big shop vac and extension or some other way that did not require you going in there. If you do have to go in make sure someone is outside to get help and get a fan blowing fresh air the whole time you are in there.

You could also call a plumber or septic guy to clean it out for you and just write a check.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

o

I'm still deciding how to go about this. IF I do go down there, there would definitely be someone there. I'm not too worried about bc I know what's there. rocks and sand.

I'm post back with whatever I decide to do. Maybe it'll help somebody else out

o

Hmmm, over a year and no follow up post. Should we send a search party with shovels?

o

Hmmm, over a year and no follow up post. Should we send a search party with shovels?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here