Has anyone heard of this?

Any known issues?

Wondering where to buy?

Northern VA area.

Thanks!

Comments (227)

• S Townsend
    3 years ago

Looks like the photo did not attach. Will try again.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

There's no reason to think they won't bend back up

• Ken Bowman
    3 years ago

They’ll be fine. Mine were bent over pretty good a few years ago but they straighted back up fine.

• Olga Pitenko
    3 years ago

We planted 70 of them last year (12" tall the most) - looking now they took a year for roots to establish and even grew 6" at least. Looking forward to them finally start growing.

Last mid-April

This was taken yesterday - they are as tall as planters. So looking forward to 3'/year.

• S Townsend
    3 years ago

Olga Pitenko-

Wow, 70! That's great. Mine were mostly 12" too (with a few at 18") when I got them in late spring 2019. They didn't do much in 2019, but really took off in 2020. Yours should too if they are all in full sun like the ones in the photo.
    Most of mine were a little over 4' by the end of last summer, but the ones that started out at 18" are about 6' already. Can't wait to see what they do this year.

Michael Kaulins-

Sorry I missed your question before. You're probably long gone, but in case you return: I got mine from fast growing trees and am happy with the purchase. They aren't cheap, but the shipping free. Also, 12" is not too small if you're willing to wait a few years for the desired results.

• cindys101
    3 years ago

What is a leader? I planted 10 3ft high AP last September.

• komeht
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Got a question for those with AP. I just planted about 20' worth of screen. The plants are small - 4" pots - so it will be some time before they're mature.

I ordered these on-line so I wasn't able to pick out the plants. The plants appear healthy with good roots and nice green foliage, etc. But I do have two concerns:

First - on about four or the APs they cut the leader. I have no idea why they would do that - see pic below.

Second, on several of the plants without leaders cut, there are multiple leaders instead of a single.

I emailed the retailer about this and they responded as follows:

"I am not sure why they cut the leader back. A dominant leader will form again and you should not have any problems. If once they start taking off, you have 2 competing for leader - prune one off. Occasionally, a double leader will occur naturally even when the leader has not been cut or broken. I would leave them alone until this fall and do your pruning then."

My plan is to just leave them alone for now and get them through the summer and in the fall see which leaders have emerged as dominant and which secondary leaders need to be trimmed off and hope that over the summer the plants with cut leaders have developed a new leader.

I guess I wanted to see if anyone things this is a reasonable course of action or has other advice.

• S Townsend
    3 years ago

Wow. Am sorry to hear they cut the leaders like that. Will be interested to hear what some of the more knowledgable folks here think.

Did the retailer see the photos?

I would think it would be within your rights to ask for a replacement for the damaged ones. At a minimum, they won't grow at the same rate as the others.

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    3 years ago

@komeht 4/25/2021
    I would follow the . They are so small, I would leave them with as much green as possible, then deal with the leader upwards of three feet. I have about 10 Arbovitae. none were purchased that small. They were between 2 and 4 feet high. Even the AP from a nursery had a double leader; Which I cut in Spring of the 2nd year. The same applied to 4Ever Goldy, and the GGs. Emeralds (though not thujas) are still multi- leaders; we twine them in winter.If I remember , I'll upload a pic so you can see.

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    3 years ago

@komeht 4/25/2021
    I would follow the *nursery's guidance . (Ask for partial refund if you are highly displeased) . They are so small, I would leave them with as much green as possible, then deal with the leader when they are upwards of 3 ft tall.

I have about 10 Arbovitae. none were purchased that small. They were between 2 and 4 feet high. Even the AP from a nursery had a double leader; which I cut in Spring of the 2nd year. The same applied to 4Ever Goldy, and the GGs. Emeralds (though not thujas) are still multi- leaders; we twine them in winter.If I remember , I'll upload a pic so you can see.

• komeht
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

S Townsend

Yes, the retailer saw the same photos I posted.

1818 Federal (7bEC)

Thanks. I think that's the current plan. I rushed to get these in before the heat of the summer (which is now rapidly approaching now) and don't want to start over in harsh summer conditions. I'm in Zone 8 - so maybe pushing it with where the the APs will succeed - I intend to watch them pretty close this summer and make sure they're well watered between rains.

I guess I'll watch to see what develops and take a look in the fall.

I'm displeased that the retailer would do this (not sure why you would ever top a young arborvitae) - but at the end of the day if the plants are healthy and grow well after established then that's all that matters. I just wanted to make sure that the setback wasn't more severe.

• komeht
    3 years ago

Follow up question on spacing to the ones below.

Seems advice on spacing the APs for a hedge is split with some saying they should be no closer than 3' or even 3 - 4' on center and others saying they should be spaced at 2.5' on center and I've seen some say as close as 2'.

I put these in the ground at 2.5' on center spacing. But now I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem down the road.

For those with mature APs - will this spacing work? Too close? If I'm going to re-do this now would be the time.

• M L
    3 years ago

Updated photos as I have posted for the last couple years. Nothing new to report other than they are growing. The set on the left has slowed and the newer set on the right is catching up a bit. The very top of the pool ladder is about 5 feet. The Rona pool setup is entering year 2 but with a new shell.

• M L
    3 years ago

@komeht mine are spaced at 2 feet as that was recommended when I put them in years ago. I’m totally happy with the look but am curious if they will begin to thin by the bottom where theyre overlapped too much. It is perfect for me now tho. 30 spacing should be fine, if I did it all over again I’d go with 33 as really wanted a full screen With no gaps. 36 will likely work as well. But mine have full privacy at 2 feet and theres no downside at this point.

• komeht
    3 years ago

M L

Thanks - your hedge looks great so that sets me at ease about 2.5' spacing.

• KJMR 320
    2 years ago

I spaced my AP 26” off my back fence - I am working in a tightly spaced garden bed so I really hope that is enough space for them to grow properly!!!

• komeht
    2 years ago

Have 8 small APs planted this spring in Zone 8. We had a nice long, wet and (for our area) cool spring which gave them a nice long runway to get initially established. But that seems to be over and summer is coming on fast and strong.

I think we're pushing it in zone 8 - our summers can be hot and dry. But I want to give them every chance to succeed this year especially when they are young.

What's best advice for watering young APs when the heat of the summer comes on? should I be out there every day? week? to make sure they don't get burned in the heat? How much water should I be putting on them when the weather turns dry?

• enjay2014
    2 years ago

My yearly update. These are 7 years old trees. This is the thickest part of my hedge. Most of my trees have shiny trunks where the trunk failed to grow branches making them look more sparse. the pics are too up close, i cant go farther back as my driveway is quite narrow. the 2nd pic is the brighter version.

• sabrina138
    2 years ago

What is your zone? Is there full sun? Thinking of replacing emeralds.

• Joe Parks
    2 years ago

@enjay2014 - Thanks for the update. My 35 APs planted last year are so far doing well - about 2.5ft average - tallest one is 3ft. Hope to see them grow. I am thinking of doing second row of them later this year in fall.

• Brandi Holleman
    2 years ago

2021 update. These have been planted for 2 years now! Some are almost as tall as the fence!

• enjay2014
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Sabrina138, I just want to share my Emerald & American Pillar standing side by side each other. While the AP has the fast growth height advantage it doesnt have the dense foliage that the Emerald has. I was after the height so I moved all my emeralds further down in front. its in zone 7a. this area is full sun.

• sabrina138
    2 years ago

Thank you Enjay2014.

• D V
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

4 year update. They all started as 6-10”. The tallest one is about 7 feet at the tip. 2 or 3 of the shorter ones I had to replace after the first year or two. And some just don’t get as much sunlight as others - especially the ones on the right. Otherwise they’re doing well and growing nicely. Fence is 6 feet tall.

2021 - November

2017 - September

• komeht
    2 years ago

Planted a row of these about a year ago - wasn't careful and we had an extraordinarly dry winter this year and got some winter burn on them or bronzing.

Do y'all know when they should green up again?

• komeht
    last year

FYI - they did green right back up in the spring.

Unfortunately, we've had unrelenting record heat all summer long - no breaks, and even though I have water on them, the triple digit temps day after day after day week, after week after week has been just too much for them. They're all browing out severly. I have shade cloth over them and everything - and they're just dying.

Maybe they'll recover in the fall? It's frustrating, last summer they did fine. But this year has been just awful.

Looks like I'm probably going to need a Plan B though for a narrow, fast growing, hedge.

• D V
    last year

A lot of plants are severely stressed this year from the heat. Mine are about 4–5 years old now but the younger they are the more watering they need on hot days. A few of my trees, the ones that get the most sun, are browning/goldening a bit but I’ve been watering them and giving them water baths around sunset.

Yours should recover but give them a lot of water in summers like these at the base and cooling baths as well. It’s probably the norm now unfortunately.

• Ken Bowman
    last year
    last modified: last year

July 2022 update. Taller ones planted in 2013 and shorter ones to the right in 2017. No weather related issues since i planted them. Love them!

Below photo was from July 2020.

• komeht
    last year

Ken - those look so good - exactly what I was hoping for. I'm so bummed mine didn't make it. I feel like I needed one more normal summer to get established and would have done fine. . .frustrating.

• enjay2014
    last year

Ive been wanting to do an 8th year anniversary update in June but Ive been busy with my backyard hardscapes. Anyway the project is almost done with a row of American pillars as the back drop. This is the half-day sun part of the yard & it also shows a different kind of American Pillar. The small tree on the big concrete planter has the trunk of the American Pillar but the top of a cypress grafted together. I like how straight AP's trunk looks so I tried to make a lollipop out of it. So hopefully in the future it will keep growing to a beautiful new specimen. its now 3 years old growing in a pot, just transplanted in its big spot so its just starting to grow. Pls dont judge this might be offensive to some people.

• Gene G
    last year

Are folks still happy with their AP arborvitae? My wife and I are deciding between them and the Emerald Greens. Our landscaper warned that the fast growing APs will be more prone to cracking. Anyone experience that? Also curious how folks feel about the density of foliage - some of the pictures looked a bit sparse but others didn’t.

• Ken Bowman
    last year

Very happy with ours. They are on the sparse side in the early years but thicken up from bottom to top as the years go on.

• Danny DeSousa
    last year

Hi Ken, I noticed you planted the AP on slope. Did you add a berm for each to help with water retention? What is your gardening zone snd trick to your success?

I planted 18 this year @ 3 feet apart just this fall. I noticed some tips browned slightly. Fid uou have the same experience?

• Ken Bowman
    last year

Danny, no berm, just kept them watered well in the beginning. Zone 7a here, central Maryland.

The only brown tips i see are on the inner branches but thats normal in the fall similar to a pine tree. As i recall the younger plants don’t normally do this. They should be fine. Next year you should see nice growth.

• Danny DeSousa
    last year

Thanks Ken! I love what you did with your privacy screen and many others on this group.

• enjay2014
    last year

Gene G, cracking? as in the trunk cracks & breaks in half? no! Bowing is more what happened. But only on the side with the half-day sun. It seems that the soil doesnt dry up as fast as the ones on the full-sun side. at year 4 or 5 two of my AP's bowed due to the moisture retention & the heavy wind that made it bow. I just put big paver or rock support at the bottom to straighten it. since then nothing more happened.

with the sparse foliage issue, I have a feeling that if you start with a very good specimen youll have a dense growth down the road. If you have a garden center that carries grown AP's then youre in luck. If youre closeby Maryland theres a garden center call PATUXENT nursery that carries AP's in big gallons pots that are about 3-4 feet tall with very dense foliage. It also came with a bigger price tag around $70. I started with newly rooted specimens & a lot are really sparse. so hopefully you find a garden center with grown AP's.

• Teresa Elizabeth
    last year

Hi, I wanted to share how mine AP are doing. I am very happy with their speed. I planted 7, and the ones growing the best get 4 hours of direct sun. The ones on the left get a bit less and would be closer to hackberry tree roots. Fence is 7’.

May 15, 2021 when first planted

After 4.5 months, Oct 1, 2021

Then these are 15.5 months after planting. Sept 1, 2022.

• D V
    last year

My taller APs did not like the heavy, wet snow in the NE. Brushed em off, assuming they’ll be fine…

• Jim F
    last year

@1818 Federal (7BEC) Do you cut the entire competing leader off or so you just cut it back below the other leader? Thanks in advance!

• Carolina Rodriguez
    last year

Hi everyone. I love how everyone comes back to give updates on your trees! This has been the most useful information I've found on APs. I am ordering about 15 for my property, debating between quart pots or gallon pots. I might do a mix of sizes. Do you have your trees on drip or just rain water?

• Jay Dubay
    12 months ago

If you want a shorter one this is it {thin man arborvitae}

• Cynthia Kettlewell
    11 months ago

Hi! new to the thread and learning so much! we bought 30 AP’s from GreatGardenPlants.com last Fall and followed the psacing recommendations on the brand’s site — Full Speed A Hedge, which was 2.5 ft apart. in reading everyone’s recommendations, I’m worried this is too close and we should have done 3 ft. Should/Could we move them? theyre currently around 3 ft tall, i would think Fall (we’re Zone 7 in VA) would be the right season, just unsure if they would survive a move.

• Rami Qarmout
    11 months ago

2.5 is just rught if you want a tighter wall look. years ago i spoke tk family in georgia and they said 2.5 was the sweet spot.

• S Townsend
    11 months ago

Hello. Congrats on your new APs!

When I emailed the people who now run the original nursery in Georgia back in 2019 , this was their reply:

"We recommend the 3 to 3.5 feet spacing. The original owner spaced them 2 feet apart, but the insides were browning, and they were too crowded, so the agricultural extension service suggested we space them further apart. They may produce a screen quicker at 2 feet apart, but it won’t be as healthy and there could be problems down the road. They will fill in at 3 or 3.5 feet and make a full screen in time."

But I honestly think either 2.5 or 3 feet is fine, as various people on here are happy with both.

Mine are 3 feet, and they will take longer to fill in as a screen on the upper portions. Sometimes I wish I had done 2.5 feet (or better yet, staggered them) because I have a deck and will have to patiently wait a few more years for the upper portions to block my view. But I am still delighted with how much they have grown since 2019.

Anyway, I, personally, would not run the risk of transplanting them at this stage unless they were 2 feet or less apart.

• enjay2014
    10 months ago

Its been 9 years since I planted these! I noticed a slow down in growth, attributed partly to age, also to the size of the lot theyre planted on. This is a 10 feet strip between the neighbor's & my driveway. theres not enough space for the roots to spread out since I noticed that instead of going deep the roots grow wider. most of these trees also suffer from shiny trunk where parts of tree dont have foliage. the less dense trees were originally 6-inch plants in 2014, the denser ones were a foot tall. so if you are deciding whether to get a shorter vs a taller one get the taller 1, its a huge difference, due to the aggressive nature of the roots, the smaller ones get beaten up a lot. its also better to get 1 from a local garden center if its available closeby your place, youll end up with a healthier & denser tree surely. Mine were all bought from hirts.com so its a hit or miss - mostly misses - only around 6-8 were dense enough out of 40+.

• Jim F
    10 months ago

Would you say you are happy with them or do you think you would have preferred a different cultivar?

• enjay2014
    10 months ago

I would have gone with any that fits the bill: narrow, fast growing & full, but as Ive posted before in this thread, this was a replacement of the 40+ emerald arborvitaes I planted first on this spot in 2013. AP's were the first one promoting these characteristics back in 2014 that I was looking for to replace my emeralds. Emeralds are just too slow to grow to 15 or 20 feet.

Im very happy on the narrow & the fast growth side, about 70% satisfied with the foliage side. but as other posters have shown, you can find specimens that are denser in nature. Ive seen them in a garden center too last year & they look much fuller than what I got. mine mightve just come from a not so healthy mother AP + my inadequate yard area.

• Cynthia Kettlewell
    7 months ago

Hi everyone, I’ve seen a few posts about where to affordably purchase these in bulk. i know everyone has a different idea of affordable, but GreatGardenPlants.com has them now for 19.99 each with a discount for the more you purchase. We bought 32 of them last year, most were around 3 ft tall at the time and have grown a foot. Only 3 died which i felt good about seeing as how i only put a few weeks of ”extra watering” into them when we put them in the ground. Otherwise I've done very little maintenance, no soaker hoses, no sprinkler systems, and theyre in full/partial sun.

• achanson
    7 months ago

That's where we bought ours a couple of falls ago! A couple got nibbled by deer the first year but all 16 are alive and well so far.

• Cynthia Kettlewell
    7 months ago

They have a great Fall warranty, til May of the next year! highly recommend. they refunded the few that died.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor