Has anyone heard of this?

Any known issues?

Wondering where to buy?

Northern VA area.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American Pillar arborvite?

nope. Never heard of it, but I'm looking to see if my wholesaler out in Loudoun will snag a few for me. I'm intrigued.

The #1 biggest plant geek I've ever met is the owner of Holly, Woods, and Vines on Rte 1 in Alexandria. I'd wager that if anyone has come across this and brought them in, it's him. Beyond that I couldn't guess.

o

Marcinde-- how interesting... I ordered my emeralds from HW and Vines since I live near there. They said American Pillar was just patented so not yet available nurseries. I would have to order it online. Need to decide by Monday (2 Dec) to cancel my order of Emeralds and take a risk on the Am. Piller-- or not.

Thanks for responding!

o

While searching for American Pillar thuja arborvitae I noted that it is new to the market and expensive. The Park Seed catalog indicates that it grows 20'-30' and suggests that another variety, Thuja North Pole, has the same characteristics but is shorter at maturity. A far less costly plant and perhaps more suitable for the urban landscape.

o

If you're looking for a narrow evergreen and you live near Rte 1, I'm going to say it's a safe bet you're buying these because you have someone or something you want to screen off, right? I would tell my client that my play-it-safe recommendation is to go with what we know works and what we can get easily in case a replacement is needed. I'd probably steer you towards the Emeralds.

But for the record, if I can get my paws on a few Pillars I'll do a few at my house. But keep in mind that I can replace them with Emeralds at wholesale if they flop :)

o

Ha! Yes, we have a 50s mid-century modern house with a wall of windows that now faces a GIANT mcmansion, and not much space between our house and the lot line. We cannot go over 5' diameter. 12' for the emeralds will only go to the top of the neighbor's first floor windows. Was ideally looking 15-20' height but can't find it.

I am finding the Pillars online for cheap-- though they are small and don't yet know what shipping would cost.

Will check out the North Pole. Tough choice, and thanks!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 1:54

'Smaragd' (Danish for emerald or emerald green) grows much taller than 12 ft., as do most other popular columnar conifers.

The other looks like it lacks the density of 'Smaragd'. And PW woody plants presented at outlets here have tended to be in small quantities with rather high per unit prices - although this year I did see a few of their shrub introductions at Home Depot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Proven Winners Plants - Thuja occidentalis American Pillar

This post was edited by bboy on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 2:06

o

You can find a source that'll say Emeralds hit 15-20' in the DC area if you need it to get zoning approval for an addition (not that I would ever do something like that for a client) but it seems around here they're maxing out mostly in the 12-14 range.

I had emailed my friend who's the tree buyer for a large nursery chain in the area, and he said that they've been really underwhelmed by the American Pillar's performance. So I may still snag a couple just out of curiosity but only if I can get them cheap.

o

Hello from a newbie,

I am torn...I have 80' of fence that I was going to plant Emerald Green along to create a solid 12' tall hedge UNTIL I discovered how SLOW they grow! The width I need is ideally 3', 4' max.

The North Pole just doesn't look like it will be "full" at the top, plus the spread is 4-5'.

Which brings me back to the American Pillar.

The 3' width would be great. The rate of growth would be great. I am thinking (hoping) that once the trees are trimmed to the desired height a couple of years in a row they will slow in growth and start to fill-out on top.

It is very difficult to make this kind of purchase without actually seeing the trees, but I cannot find them locally.

Does anyone have experience with either the North Pole or American Pillar as a solid hedge?

Thank you for any input!

o

I have absolutely no experience of these, but pictures aren't hard to find...

Here is a link that might be useful: American Pillar Hedges

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here