Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly922

Advice on Back Border

kelly922
10 years ago

Need help with back border. Been looking at it too long. Want to cover UGLY electrical lines and blur horizon so it's more of a private feel in back yard. But then we'll also lose some "borrowed" landscape and color from the trees beyond.
This is what we have in pic:
-Enclosed backyard by 5' tall picket fence (fence not visible but exists behind row of forsythia)
-Adjacent sides (not visible) planted with trees & evergreens - Hawthorne, Gr Giants, Var.Hollies, Rhodeys, hydrangea, boxwood & more forsythia.
-Measures 130 ft across back border corner to corner
-Row of forsythia - now green (visible) along entire border
-Left corner (not visible in pic) 30' tall Blue Atlas Cedar to left of small Purple Plum (visible) and blue lacrosse wall.
-Middle of border (visible-covering pole) Oct Glory Maple
-Right corner (visible but young) Yellowbird Magnolia
-There is approx 130 ft between me taking pic (on patio) and Oct Glory Maple tree.

Initial thought: plant 2 groupings of 3 evergreens on either side of Oct Glory Maple against fence...each grouping containing 2 Yoshino Cryptomerias or Green Giants (which we have on adjacent sides of yard) and 1 of a different type evergreen, not decided....??

Not opposed to removing forsythia to make room for plants that will serve an occlusive purpose. I know forsythia aren't popular but they were here when we bought the house 20 yrs ago and I actually do like them...but admittedly - they are taking up valuable space.

So what do you think? Would really appreciate your help.

Comments (4)