Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigereye

Please help with large front landscaping

tigereye
9 years ago

This area could be so stunning but I have no idea what to do with it. Nothing terribly high maintenance, we are casual peoplle. Bought house couple years ago, fountain came with it. Its a Henri but needs a refinish. Not sure I like it. Someone has offered me $600. I like fountains but more of the water flowing over a globe type. So keep the fountain or no?

Area is about 15 x 25 feet. It faces W/NW so much is shaded, front part gets a lot of hot summer sun though. Under window is burning bush which I cut way back last spring but they are in shade and really don't turn red before freeze. The other two shrubs along the wall closer to the front are barberry, misshapen.

The globe spruce on the left is large and IMO awkward. It has been damaged by bag worms and there is a large 4/5 foot area behind it under the window which I have no idea what to do with. Unseen to the left of that is a large river birch with an open bed and rock retaining wall. I will see if I can find a picture.

This post was edited by kcblu on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 16:36

Comments (33)

• tigereye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture of fountain

• tigereye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

close up of large bed

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

need to post a picture that shows wider view.

fountain does not spin my beanie. Would rather have $600.

• tigereye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Yew in the far left behind the birch is now very large and free form (hate trimming) The row of yews under the garage window in the narrow space between the sidewalk and house I think would look better with some small holly or boxwood

• tigereye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture of the left side

• tigereye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture of the left side

{{gwi:53048}}

• marcinde
    9 years ago

Oh my. That fountain looks like a set piece from a Star Trek:The Next Generation episode set in an alien bathroom. Unless you're going to embrace that and have some fun with paint and lighting and maybe a fog generator, take the $600 and bake them a pie as an added thanks.

• tigereye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So if the fountain isn't there what would you all do with the area? Lets say I use that $600 toward plantings. Original owner put down rubber mulch, yuck! Dug it all up and replaced with dark mulch. I like stone but cost too much to do such a large area. Ideas?

• tigereye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

close up of large bed

{{gwi:53049}}

• deviant-deziner
    9 years ago

If someone offered you $600 dollars for that fountain , take it. ... and fast before they change their minds.

I would pay someone to haul it away. It brings down the value of your house.

Use the $600 toward a design consultation from a highly respected landscape designer in your area.
    It will be the best investment and return huge dividens to have your home professionally landscaped.

You invested a pretty penny in the house. If you put value on your investment then enhance it with good landscaping. It will increase the curb appeal, financial value and you'll appreciate driving up to your house on a daily basis.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Here are suggestions you might consider for basic landscaping: Limb up the river birch so that no foliage hangs below a line even with the eaves of the house. That's minimum. You could take it higher now or at some later point. Reconfigure the bed line to encircle the birch instead of intersecting with it. Surround the birch with medium groundcover/ perennial. Extend a strip of grass or very low groundcover along the R side of walk. Window box hedges flanked w/ low groundcover. Something sculptural along the garage wall would help alleviate its blank, boring quality. Though I'm showing a pom-pom, it could be many different things ... whatever appeals and fits well in front of the wall. I also considered a something growing on a trellis or an espalier for that spot.

• marcinde
    9 years ago

What I love about this industry is that between Yard's posts and his plant palette, I've assembled an image in my head of who he is. Can't wait for the GardenWeb meetup/cocktail party/weenie roast to see if I'm right :)

I agree with the sentiment of putting the fountain money towards a design. Based on some of the detailing I'm going to assume your home isn't the cheapest on the block, and there's a lot that could be done - with the right thought process. As an example, that big blank wall where Yard put the pompom (part of what leads me to believe we're 10-15 years apart in age) would be amazing with a custom trellis that pulls some of the scrollwork detail from the front entry. But that stuff costs, and it has to be designed appropriately.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"... that big blank wall where Yard put the pompom (part of what leads me to believe we're 10-15 years apart in age) ..." Wow, you are that much older than me ...?? For the purposes of the illustration I have to come up with an example that is quick to draw and here, I'm trying to say "something sculptural." Actually, I've never used a pom-pom as they don't fit with my personal taste. But I can't say that I "never will." One never knows what hole will need to be filled. (And don't take that wrong!!)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

what deviant-deziner said. Take the $600 and run to a professional. Your house is beautiful and a pro will make it even better. take your time, look around, be patient, and find someone good. The size of your front yard is such that doing DIY planting yourself from a provided plan would not be too difficult.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

But there is 'something sculptural' there. The fountain. Maybe it is because I don't find the fountain as horrifying as some of you, but it seems the major problem with this composition is competing focal points. There is a very architectural entry screaming 'look at ME', and a very sculptural object to the side screaming 'NO!, look at ME!'

OTOH, I can see a nice trellis on the garage wall because it isn't meant to be in the same view as the entry.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

beautiful house! and I'm sure that the right landscaping would really enhance it.

Would not try to second guess the wonderful designers here, but I would like to be invited to the weenie roast!

• marcinde
    9 years ago

@Yard - any port in a storm? lol

I've been wrong before, but my brother is 12 years older than I am and I started working for him in high school - during what was, in New England at least, the era of topiary evergreens and dissectum Japanese maples in every. frigging. landscape. It took me years before I'd specify a Japanese maple again, and my first reaction to pom poms is still "burn it down and salt the pot it came in" (but I am mellowing as I approach middle age). So since it would never even occur to me, I'm inferring. Lord knows I've been way off though.

@Violet - ain't no weenie roast like an east coast landscape designer weenie roast!

• tigereye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is great! The birch tree has been trimmed way up and branches removed, though its a constant battle, the thing is a weed. Pretty tree though.

The fountain is going to a new home.

Not too excited about a pom pom, for the same reason I don't like the globe spruce but also the maintenance wouldn't be good. I know you were just suggesting something for a focal point. Maybe a small multi trunk tree? Which brings me to the low hedge, I'm thinking a monkey grass or Liriope rather than a boxwood because of the maintenance. We have a large wooded yard in the back which is not landscaped but requires a lot of time as it is.

Your drawing made me think of a Golden Japanese Forest Grass under the birch.

My husband isn't crazy about what that grass might look like in the winter

The window plantings, The far right garage windows gets full hot sun, the one overlooking the bed is full shade, next one on left side of door will get quite a lot of afternoon sun without the spruce there and the far left is under the birch so partial/full shade there. Love the looks of the flowering shrubs but do you have suggestions? Would you try to use the same type in all locations or vary them according to light requirements?

I think you can hear the theme of low maintenance and also funds would be an issue. The $600 would probably be eaten up just with the tear out :/ Now we have a small chain saw but that wouldn't take care of the roots.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"...use the same type in all locations or vary them according to light requirements?" If a shrub of the right size can't be found that accepts all light conditions offered, then use more than a single type. That it can remain or be maintained at the right size (2 1/5 to 3' ht.) is a major consideration. I'm not in your area so it's best if you research what grows to the sizes needed and performs well for your area.

A multi-trunk tree is what I usually use in front of the blank walls. (Burning bush can work for that.) But considering it's along the walk to the front door and its in front of the main facade, it can't be too rangey. You just have to explore possibilities. It would be good to plan for the bottom of foliage to end up above the eave line in order to maintain as much see through as possible at first floor level.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

I agree with most here, and I don't have any specific suggestions, just a comment: My first impression of your house is that somebody was ashamed of it and trying to hide it with shrubbery.

So I really like the (suggested) much-lower shrubs around the right side of the house. Whatever that is under the 3 windows has got to go. And likewise for the tacky urns in front of the porch. You think the people who took your fountain would take them too?

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

I would not pull those yew bushes out on the right. Yew can be pruned to the ground if needed and will regrow. You could easily cut off 1/4 of those and prune them into smaller, rounded bushes. This will save you money on boxwood or whatever else you may have put there. Glad the fountain is going...

It's unfortunate that the previous owner planted the Colorado blue spruce on standard (lollipop), because that would be a perfect fit for that spot if it was just grafted regular. As it is now, it's just too high.

That spot to the right where the fountain was, is sort of like no mans land. Took me a while to figure out how to plant there without obstructing the view of the window.

Here are some potential plant suggestions:
    - Picea Glauca 'Pendula'
    - Picea Punges 'The Blues'
    - Picea pungens 'Glauca Globosa'
    - Pieris japonica 'Flaming Silver'
    - Cephalotaxus harringtonia 'Fastigiata'
    - Buxus sempervirens 'Dee Runk'
    - Endless Summer Blue Hydrangea
    - Some sort of Ornamental Grass
    - Cornus controversa 'Variegata'

This post was edited by SC77 on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 22:21

• tigereye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lovely ideas sc77 though there won't be a tree on the front yard. Our entire acre behind our house is very wooded (will be the topic of its own someday) and the open expanse of level green is most welcome. The fountain is gone, step one complete. I was curious about using either 1 large or 2 or 3 large pots of varying sizes but same color glaze. Would add interest and height without blocking the view though I haven't ruled out a small tree. But what to plant in them? The burning bushes, the spruce and the barberries will be removed as well. I think for now the rest will stay.

This post was edited by kcblu on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 22:13

• User
    9 years ago

kcblu,
    Yes! The pot idea will work!
    Look up online under interesting pot suggestions, they are gorgeous!
    In the winter, you could also plant something evergreen in it, and still have a wonderful live focal point to view when entering the front door.
    Yes on the pots!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

crikey ...

did i miss where this house is???

tear it ALL out ... plant your own mistakes ...

your base problem.. is that you have a 20 foot tall house.. and 3 foot beds at the foundation ...

if you want any concept of a 'design' ... you need to fix that ...

increase the bed on the left at least to 15 feet or so .. as far as the garage would be better . ... as well as extending.. the beds along the garage.. at least ten feet.. this side of the sidewalk ...

the bottom line... is there is NO SENSE OF SCALE .. between height.. and bed width ...

NEVER FORGET... foundation plantings.. are planted.. to HIDE the foundation .. NOT ON THE FOUNDATION... absolutely everything here violates said rule ... and was probably planted by the builder... and he specializes in pounding nails.. rather than sand.. lol ...

IMHO ... inside 10 years.. the plantings on the left.. should echo the size of the garage ... be that far into the lawn ...

properly planted.. trees.. conifers.. and shrubs.. need absolutely NO maintenance after the first year or two ... it does not have to be a high maintenance garden ... besides mulching the beds ...

i swear.. i have see these pix before.. and said similar things before ... but.. whatever ...

good decision on the fountain ... another builder decision.. i am sure ..

where you are... dictates what can be planted .... though the picea pungens tells me much ....

you might also cross post this in the conifer forum..as well as shrub forums.. when plant selection begins...

right now;... lets think about the scale of the beds ... versus the house ...

ken

ps: the birch is semi-problematic.. at least.. the trunk that is failing.. is going to fall away from the house ... if that is any consolation ... that tree .. properly planted for its POTENTIAL ... as compared to its size at planting.. should have been planted.. 15 to 25 feet.. further from the corner ... it was.. a complete misunderstanding by the alleged 'designer' who planted it.. as to their understanding of how trees grow ... [well .... as far as i can tell from these pix.. its a birch] .. in other words... they bought this plant.. at some size certain ... placed it according to the size at that moment in time ..... and never expected it to grow another foot.. or thirty .... or fifty ... at least.. birch doesnt have the shear density of oak.. and will.. mostly.. bounce off the roof.. should that storm of the century roll thru ... and make it fall on said roof ...

• tigereye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I see Yardvaark has drawn the bed several feet out from the original and I like the look of it. The house is located near Kansas City.
    The size of beds you are describing while a dream are just not doable.
    I like the birch and while I agree with what you say can't go back and change what was done and we won't be removing it.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

What's the objection to having an open canopy tree such as dogwood in the front? I think it serves a critical objective, which is to break up that blank wall on the right side of the house... I don't see any other way to achieve that, without running a vine along a trellis... When I look at the current picture of the house, my eye is drawn to that blank wall. If you are totally opposed to a tree, that's fine, but just wanted you to consider the objective of the tree... I also don't think it "hides" that house when you select the correct type.

The 3 pots will add height, to an area that already needs to be kept low in order to avoid blocking the view from that window. I think you would be better off with some low growing shrubs there and you could squeeze in a narrow upright to the right of the window to fill that dead space.. That section is not going to be easy, but aside from altering the layout, you need to keep it low

• catkim
    9 years ago

If possible, move the globe spruce about 4-5 feet to the left, to settle at the first corner to the left of that window that it now threatens to obscure. Treat with bt or whatever will rid you of the bag worms. Under the window, plant carpet cypress, dwarf balsam fir, or similar ultra-low growing and spreading evergreeens for little to no maintenance. Use the same plants under the window to the right of the door. Give them some space away from the wall so they can grow without crowding up against the house.

For the rest of the "former fountain bed" plant ophiopogon japonicus or similar in a rigid grid. At the center point of the blank wall, and well out from the wall, plant a single specimen plant that will tolerate shade, such as a green lace leaf Japanese maple, or maybe an azalea, small rhododendron, dwarf weeping cedar, a large bonsai -- something that won't grow taller than maybe 8 ft. As others have noted, a plant with a sculptural quality to its form will be more interesting than a big fluffy round shrub.

I would avoid using pots in this area. Unless very (VERY) large and very high quality material, they are likely to introduce (gasp!) clutter.

The best advice you've got so far was to hire an experienced and progressive designer. That entry garden could be a real scene-stealer, but none of the ideas embraced so far will provide the drama to match your house.

• rhoda_dendron
    9 years ago

Your house has a mediterranean feel. The fountain works with that. So does the pompom. Whether one likes them is a matter of personal preference.
    There is probably room to add boxwood on both sides of the walk. Takes too long on my design app but you get the general idea. I like the fountain because i can imagine the sound of the water and the birds flying in for a drink. The main ideas here are to plant flowers bulbs around the fountain, add a focal tree to balance garage, and to add boxwood liberally for a mediterranean feel. I added hydrangea on the left for summer color.

• rhoda_dendron
    9 years ago

I like the glazed pot idea. They make nice water features but you would have to check with an expert about winterizing if required.

• rhoda_dendron
    9 years ago

The fountain area should contain smaller plants that are appreciated up close. It makes little difference what they are. Pick what you like. Limit the variety but use plenty of each choice.

• rhoda_dendron
    9 years ago

Forgot to add boxwood on other side- you can keep costs down by buying flats of very small boxwood. They grow extremely fast.

• Missy, Traverse City, Mi Z5
    9 years ago

I have to agree with SC77, that dogwood tree looks wonderful where he put it in his plan. I like the looks of his whole plan.

• kearbear314
    9 years ago

There definitely is a lot of potential for that space. Personally, I'd feel like some small bushes lining that sidewalk would look pretty good. Aside from that, more flowers and bushes could work out well near that fountain. There are lots of great suggestions that others here have made. You just have to pick out the things you like from those suggestions and see how you like it!
    http://www.agservicesofmaui.com/commercial-services