Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xxnonamexx

Landscaping a hill deer resistant?

xxnonamexx
9 years ago

What is the best way to landscape a hill that you cannot mow? It must be deer resistant and inexpensive way. Going up my driveway the right hand side hill is covered with pachasandra but I would like to spruce it up to look more appealing.

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

That's a pretty open-ended question! We have no idea of where you are, sun or shade conditions, how easy it may be to get water to the slope or how steep it is (erosion/stability problems?).

There are literally hundreds of lists online for deer resistant plantings. Keeping in mind that deer don't read books and will eat anything if they are in the mood or hungry enough, you might research one of these suited to your area and make plant selections that will be appropriate to your specific situation.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will take a photo of the hill its mostly shade. I understand about the deer will eat anything.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Attached is the hill filled with pachasandras. Any other landscape ideas to spruce it up?

• seljo
    9 years ago

Hi,

I found my solution on the bottom link

Here is a link that might be useful: simple landscaping ideas

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Describe what "spruce it up" means to you because you are showing a hillside that is, from what we can see, landscaped and looks reasonably good from what we can see. If you're just looking to add some decorative elements to it, you'd best back up and provide a picture that shows the much larger surroundings. Landscape design addresses how a smaller space contributes to the larger picture. We should be seeing both sides of the driveway and the house. Hopefully, it will be a clear, well lit picture.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Describe what "spruce it up" means to you because you are showing a hillside that is, from what we can see, landscaped and looks reasonably good from what we can see. If you're just looking to add some decorative elements to it, you'd best back up and provide a picture that shows the much larger surroundings. Landscape design addresses how a smaller space contributes to the larger picture. We should be seeing both sides of the driveway and the house. Hopefully, it will be a clear, well lit picture.

• deviant-deziner
    9 years ago

The pachysandra makes a nice green groundcover but I can understand how you would like to add some punch.

By installing some strong vertical forms that will rise out of the pachysandra will add some form.

You could start with some Rhododendrons and that would be simple 2 plant scheme and be relatively inexpensive or a Yucca filamentosa. ( by the looks of your photos it looks like a half dozen or so would be a good start)

Or if you desired a bit more form and texture you could layer in some dogwood trees along with the Rhododendrons so that you have a canopy , a midground and the ground cover. For a color contrast I would suggest a dogwood that has variegation in the foliage such as Cornus Wolf Eyes .

If you are located near Massachusetts I would recommend a stroll in the Arnold Arboretum or The Garden in the Woods in Framingham MA. for some horticultural pairing ideas.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!