Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmolly

House exterior: What would you plant here?

tmolly
9 years ago

Hello,

Would love some tips for enhancing our home's curb appeal!

We are planning to redo our crumbling stairs and add an awning, possibly like the one in the post below. Since we'll be ripping out the stairs, we want to redo the landscaping directly in front of our house and flanking our stairs.

What would you all advise in terms of trees/shrubs/flowering bushes that would complement the shape/size or our house and would add interest throughout all 4 seasons of our northern New Jersey climate? We'd especially love low-maintenance plants, as we both have black thumbs.

Any photos of landscaping ideas would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (8)

• tmolly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

[Second Part of Post]:

Sorry, I don't know how to add two photos in one post, so adding a second photo here.

Here is a photo of the awning style we are considering for our house. I'm not sure how it will look with our roof line, but I'm not a fan of the aluminum awnings some of our neighbors have. I know this is the Landscaping subforum -- where can a cross-post for advice on awning styles? Thanks!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Whatever you do with planting will be subordinate to architectural changes, so you'll need to get those ironed out first. Seems like it will be tricky (or impossible) to incorporate the style you're after with the existing roof configuration. There must be a remodeling forum where you can introduce a thread.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Walk around your neighborhood and look for plants that you like. When you see what you like, take a photo. Also visit any local botanical gardens in the area for additional ideas. Try to get some photos now and some in spring.

Then use the Name That Plant forum, or go to a good local garden center, and get the plants identified. Determine the mature size of the plants, if they are low-maintenance or not, and what kind of exposure (amount of sun) that they need.

Plant groups of plants--three or five--not "one of each". Keep in mind the mature size of the plants, and don't put them too close to the foundation.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Yardvark is right. You need to take this question to the Home side of GW. There is a Remodeling Forum as well as an Old House Forum. Your roof line seems to make it tricky.

As to your garden request, I would remove the hedge that abuts the driveway, unless it is there for a function. Any thing else should wait until construction is finished, I love your house and I hope it works out for you.

• tmolly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the tips, everyone! Will re-post regarding the awning in the remodeling forum and get to know the plants in my neighborhood. :-)

• rhoda_dendron
    9 years ago

The one obvious possibility is to plant a small tree in front of the curving walkway to balance the two story portion of the house on the opposite side.
    And remove the 2 green overgrowns on each side of the steps.

• rhoda_dendron
    9 years ago

Like this. But choose a tree that you will enjoy looking at from your window.

• rhoda_dendron
    9 years ago

Your house is already very pretty. The only area that is a little off scale is over the garage. To break up this large wall and create an attractuve shadow line over the garage you could add a pergola over the garage door.m Bringing the window above the garage into scale would be helpful. It should be twice the size. Adding shutters would immediately accomplish this. A larger window would be better.