Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyjano_gw

front landscaping / color advice

daisyjano
9 years ago

Hello! This is my first post on Gardenweb, even though I've been enjoying great advice on here for ages! I'm hoping I can get some input on landscaping my front yard and also house colors. We're about to get siding installed (old siding in bad condition) and I'm going bonkers trying to choose a color that will be pretty with the brick on the house as well as look great with my garden, and in all seasons. I'd be really grateful for any help! I photoshopped Redbuds off this pic. because they block house so much.Thanks for reading my post.
Also, we live in a college town in the midwest, zone 4/5 so we have snow and gray skies for several months. There are two mature oaks in front of the house so the house and front garden are in filtered shade. Right now there are 2 redbuds in front of house, but I think I'm going to prune them or something since they block front door. I have stained glass and june hostas planted in garden by porch. A Japanese Maple is to the North of the house by the drive and a Dogwood is to the South of front porch. Redbuds included in second pic.

Comments (14)

• daisyjano
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the pic with the bushy redbuds that block front door

• daisyjano
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more pic that shows one of oak trees.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Gee, that redbud is out of control. I'd prune it by at least 50% or remove it altogether.

I'm a traditionalist for flower color. Some people love a mix of colors, but not me. My house has similar colors to yours (with cedar siding on one side which has aged to a deep brown) and I focus on white, yellow and blue flowers for the most part, using brilliant red as an accent in places.

I'd use Shasta daisies and Black eye Susans, especially close to your June hostas, if you have a sunny spot. Stella daylilies are pretty hardy and easy. How about some bright white impatiens near the hostas? And there are some heucheras that can tolerate shade that are bright, almost neon, green. And some BIG pots of bright red geraniums. Go BIG or go home, they say.

You could add plenty of green along the front, which would stand out in front of the brick. How about ornamental grasses? They'd add interest during your long winter.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Just regarding the house color, you could take your questions to the Interior Decorating forum on the Home side of GW. There are a few
    members there who are color wizards. Someone might even make a mock up for you. They don't care if it is exterior and they are good!

As to the landscaping I have nothing to suggest as I am not in your zone.

• daisyjano
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Littlebug, Thanks for the great suggestions. I like the idea of the Stella lilies. They would look great with my variegated hostas too. And I had never thought about using ornamental grasses in front. I googled some shade tolerant ones and found this one: Hakonechloa macra 'AureolaâÂÂ, which is really pretty. Now I need to find a tall variety that will look nice in fall/winter and likes some shade. I also like the impatiens idea. Maybe red impatiens? I'll look into lime heucheras too. Do you think a rhododendron would like afternoon sun and look nice?

• daisyjano
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emmarene, I didn't even know there was an Interior Decoration Forum and home side of GW. Thanks so much for pointing it out! It's a great idea and I'll definitely try it!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

One thing that always look ratty is a small tree growing up into the canopy of a larger tree. The condition is made worse if either of the canopies appear ragged and unkempt. A possible remedy is if the canopies can be separated with some space and if they can be tidied up. The picture isn't taken from back far enough that the bottom of the oak canopy can be well appraised, but I'm guessing it could be cleaned up somewhat. For sure, the redbud could be given a nice dome shape and lower branches removed (to about 50% of total tree height.) Can't see whether the trunks themselves look good, but they would probably suffice.

Speaking in general terms about house color, I'd avoid anything that could be even remotely construed as having a corollary related to biological waste ... those being many of the browns & yellows or where those are mixed with other colors. (Have seen butter yellow look nice.) Neighbor across the street painted house a dirty chartreuse. Why ... when there are so many good colors?? To me, it is a vomit or diaper color. Some greys and taupes are nice. (Not battleship.) Sometimes when blended with a little color -- teal, for example -- they offer a lot of possibilities. Avoid strong color. Some of the paint companies offer web pages in which you can upload a picture of your house and change the color on it. A great tool.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

I admire rhododendrons, but have never attempted to grow one here in Zone 5+ in the Midwest. If you are in zone 4, are you sure they would be hardy for you?

• daisyjano
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yardvaark, Thanks for the advice about the house color and trees! You know, the previous owners actually planted two redbuds there, one in front of the other, and they are two different shapes. One is sort of bonsai shaped..leans to one side and the other is typical tree shape. So I have to prune one and take the other out. Hard to decide which one. I do not like yellowy browns either, or yellows with browns. Too Brady Bunch. I love teal, and a grey with a greeny-blue cast would be great if I could find one. One thing I'm having trouble with is choosing how light of a grey or taupe to choose. It is hard to tell with the shade how it will look after it's up. I have tried the software online with a few colors, but it shows the color without shade I imagine. Does grey siding look darker on the house or lighter than the swatches? Thanks again! And what a great name!

• daisyjano
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Littlebug, I have a PJM rhododendron on the south side of our house. It's very happy there and survived the long, cold winter of 2013-14. It's a pretty bronzy reddish purple right now. In Iowa City, we're on the border of zone 4. Most winters are 5a, but in a cold year, I often seem to lose zone 5 plants like certain heuchera, butterfly bushes, and last winter, my rose of sharon looked dead all summer and then a bunch of babies shot up around it in September! Including pic of our weird brick though you'd probably rather see the rhododendron! You should try one by the way :)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

In general, paint swatch colors will seem lighter outside when hit by direct sun. Probably need to go a shade darker than it seems. Inside the house, it's the opposite.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

I would choose a middle tone of the reddish brown brick for your siding Too light a colour will not show well if you are keeping the trim white, too dark could make it look top heavy. ("I'd avoid anything that could be even remotely construed as having a corollary related to biological waste") Thank goodness you agree. LOL!
    You will need to decide if you are keeping or trimming one or both of your Redbuds prior to choosing plant material as this will affect the amount of sun your planting areas will receive.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

Grey siding usually looks pretty nice with brick houses, then add black shutters. I think you need to define the walkway and draw the eye to the front door, then simply add some mulch beds, trees, and shrubs.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

You could have your bricks painted the same color as your new siding.
    Maybe a blue/green. A lighter blue/green. I would put shutters on the door
    And downstairs windows too.
    Love you home.
    Jo
    Maybe you have already done the painting.