Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A beautiful - and different- arbour

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 16:04

Since there is a thread re an arbour, I thought some of you might be interested in this thread from a different forum here. While this is not a 'domestic' (i.e. cosy homeower) sort of arbour, it's one of the most beautiful - and site appropriate - ones I've seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: gothic arbour

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A beautiful - and different- arbour

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 17:42

It is definitely an interesting design, and the Trumpet Vine certainly looks showy in the photos. However, the shot of the Wisteria or is it the Campsis Vine trunks all twining amongst the metal supports is a disaster waiting to happen. Rule number one with such vigorously trunking vines is to train them up supports initially so that they can destroy them over time. Those trunks can push the metal apart in time, and shouldn't be allowed to encircle the supports completely, either.

o
RE: A beautiful - and different- arbour

Those were Trumpet Vine trunks - the wisteria was on the street-side arbours. The maintenance of the vines left something to be desired. After 17 years, I suspect the care of the garden has passed beyond the originators and is probably in the hands of people with less experience and, perhaps, less interest. For instance, at ground level under the arbours along the building wall across from the church, there was a line of wax begonia annuals, alternating pink and white... It was a rather incongruous touch! Nevertheless, it was a peaceful and beautiful space.

I also found it interesting that the arbour was in sections, bolted together. Presumably that made it easier to install but it would also make it easier to move it again, and perhaps easier to remove any sections that got damaged, and replace them with new sections

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here