Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krm27_gw

Questions re: using flagstone for backyard patio?

krm27
9 years ago

My wife and I are re-doing our yard as a DIY project. One plan is to put in a patio area where we'd have patio furniture for eating outside. I'm thinking some kind of heavy wrought iron furniture, but we have not made a final decision on that.

My concern is how we install the flagstone patio to hold up to heavy furniture. Specifically, my wife has been researching flagstone patios and has the notion that we would basically set the flagstones in like rough pavers with decomposed granite between them.

I'm concerned that unless the flagstones are set in concrete or cement or something like that, that the edges of table legs or chair legs will catch and sink into the areas between the flagstones. It just does not sound stable to me. Fine for a walkway, but makes me nervous for a patio with furniture on it.

But I could be wrong, maybe with the right kind of base below, and good compaction of the decomposed granite between the stones, this would bear up similar to a paver patio or concrete patio. Does anyone have experience with a "flagstone in decomposed granite" patio with furniture on it?

Ken

Comments (3)