Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Recommendation for front yard crape myrtle replacement

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

I had a neglected crape myrtle (not a fan of them any way) that was going down hill (started after finding a huge woody weed growing through it..was as tall as the tree. I killed it and just left the crape alone. Had landscaping done last month and decided to just cut it down, then immediately brushed full strength glyphosate on the bare area. Then, as I did with my other shrubs last year, I put down high nitrogen fertilizer and then peat moss on top to accelerate the rot.

I'm looking for something to replace it, maybe a little closer to the house. The tree pictured is a Kwanzan flowering cherry, with a watnong jap maple, azaleas, crimson holly, little Bonnie's, purple pixies..more azaleas wrapping around the northeast to east side of the house. Then have a bloodgood with drift roses by the driveway and sidewalk, with hollies and a cleopatra in the bed below the porch.

I thought about doing something with another japanese maple, maybe a bigger, slightly faster version? Any thoughts or just leave it as-is?

The corner hillbilly fence post is coming down. I hated that thing.

This post was edited by Bama_Joe on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 19:27

Comments (4)