Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking advice on what to plant on NE corner. Looking for color.

Posted by Cal_00 5B (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 21:47

Hi, first off I hope this is the correct place to post my question, if not I apologize and if you could direct me to the right place I'd really appreciate it.

I'm helping my father redo his landscape and wanted to start off by giving the front yard some color. As you can see from the picture, my father seems to like conifers more then any other plant/tree. The taller Dwarf Alberta Spruce that is in a red circle on the picture is the one we are looking to replace with something that can give out some nice color contrast. The location of the Alberta Spruce is directly on the NE side of the house. It only gets morning sun from sunrise to around 11:30A.M. He is very open to try other plants/trees. If you have any ideas to what I could plant there that won't get to tall (above 15') and that will work for the location and USDA zone 5B please let me know. I am at a loss as to what could go there but I'm in the dark when it comes to shade planting. Any advice and help woukd be very much appreciated.

A little info on the yard layout and soil:

- Clay Soil
- He does have a large Emperor 1 Japanese Maple in the front yard as well.
- Sun from sunrise to 11:30A.M

This post was edited by Cal_00 on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 14:10

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking advice on what to plant on NE corner. Looking for col

A better photo of the front yard would help. It looks like there are two Arborvitaes planted along the front walk? Not sure what kid they are, In a few years they probably will out grow their space. I would consider moving both to a location that will allow them to grow, ( mature size maybe 12ft h, by 4-5ft wide)
I suggest - to Measure the beds, ( my guess maybe 6 -7 ft deep) then go to you local nursery ( not big box store) and ask them if they have a narrow, gold hinoki cypress that will fit in that space. You are 5 B zone and I believe, that may work. However the nursery where you live will give the best advise, since they know what does best in your area. Also consider some of the fancy Hosta, that are gold color , Or Heuchra ( maroon color leaves) They will brighten up or add color to the front, with out flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o
RE: Seeking advice on what to plant on NE corner. Looking for col

I've nothing against pyramidal evergreens, but I don't see any in the picture that will be a positive attribute after they grow. There is not adequate room for them.

Regarding the corner space, a colorful perennial would probably be your best bet. The above-mentioned Heuchera seems like a good recommendation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here