Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening with diabilities suggestions

Posted by mla2ofus z4b Caribou Co. Id (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 0:14

I'm not in a wheel chair but I have a bad lower back and find it hard to bend for long. We are putting in raised vegetable beds. I have a kneeler with handles to help me get up or down and a rolling garden seat. I'm replacing an 8 foot square area of flower garden with a garden shed (attractive, looks like a playhouse) and also a 6x4 foot garden swing to shrink the care in another bed. Do you have any other suggestions or advise on low maintenance plantings or any other adjustments I could make. I love perennials but would like to replace some of them with a pretty easy careground cover. Is that a possibility? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening with diabilities suggestions

I am physically disabled (have a severe balance problem and use a walker for mobility, amongst other problems). We have 1/4 acre and it's all garden :-) Fortunately DH is healthy so he's responsible for anything heavy! I'm a literal 'seat-of-the-pants' gardener! So, two very necassary pieces of garden equipment are my Lee Valley Tools gardener's pants with knee pads in built-in pockets, and rain pants to wear over them when the ground is wet! :-) Another key thing that defines my garden is a network of paths that both shape the garden and allow easy access to the beds. I plant very densely which helps with weed control. The backyard woodland/shade garden is the easiest to maintain; I'm gradually moving the sunny front garden in a similar direction by increasing the amount of shrubs and vines and reducing perennials that need deadheading. It's going to take a few more years to switch the emphasis for the front garden. The link below is to the on-line version of the maintenance manual I put together for our garden. I need to update it this winter for the changes we made this past summer and to list the planned changes for this coming summer, but you might find some of the information there useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maintenance maanual for my garden

o
RE: Gardening with diabilities suggestions

Thank you for posting your site. I enjoyed reading about, and seeing your beautiful gardens. You have given me some good ideas. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here