Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mswillis5

Help with a front yard Ornamental Vegetable Garden

mswillis5
11 years ago

The picture I added was from when I purchased the home. The shrubs are all gone. I tilled a stretch 30' x 4' on the side of the house that you can see. I also till where the shrubs are. It is roughly 30' x 15'. I am trying to grow vegetables there and make it look very ornamental and pretty. I have also attached my current seed list which is also my exchange list. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mswillis5

My wife really liked this plan and took a few ideas from her front yard garden.
http://shawnacoronado.com/2010/07/how-to-build-a-sustainable-ornamental-edible-vegetable-garden-design-in-your-front-lawn-2/

Current Inventory of Seeds available for my front/backyard garden
http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/mswillis5

Comments (5)

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

From a landscape architectural and homeowner perspective, I would want a garden that enhances the value of my home vs one which will depreciate it.

By their nature, vegetable gardens are ephemeral, gone with each passing season. With that in mind , coupled with property value enhancement I would suggest that you plan a garden that has strong landscape architectural bones; using evergreen shrubs, espalier hedges and hardscaping (fences and arbors) and then fill in the 'blank planting panels' with your seasonal vegetables.

An iconic example of excellent thoughtful vegetable design can be found at Rosemary Verey's veg garden ( google will help )
    Once you see how she uses low hedges, espaliered living walls , and short fences to create a garden with both permanence and visual aesthetics you will understand why this element is important.
    A well planned vegetable garden that uses hedges will uphold the structural value ( financially and aesthetically ) of your landscape when the vegebles are in their transitional stage , which is most of the time during the year.

The garden that you linked to is a lovely little plot that looks great for a back yard but as far as a solid front yard design it falls short on upholding the property value.
    The vegetable garden that I laid out out at my property sits front and center in my front yard but you would never know it until you walked into it.
    None of my neighbors property values are negatively impacted by my garden because it looks like a farmers patch in the middle of suburbia.
    I have a short white picket style fence surrounding the front yard and within the yard there are low boxwood clipped hedges that outline the veg and herb beds.

Several year ago I had a health dilemma that kept me from working in my garden for a season. I was extremely grateful that the landscaped architectural bones of the garden upheld the beauty and functionality of the space even without the seasonal vegetables and herbs.

You have an attractive home, enhance its value with good solid landscape design .

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I agree with this one ^^^^ Use the annual veggies the way you would annual flowers in the evergreen and perennial structure.

Where is this garden? "Zone 8" doesn't help much, because what I can grow in Zone 8 New Mexico is not what Zone 8 on the East Coast is growing.

• mswillis5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am in the Dallas area. I have I am going to be putting blueberry bushes in containers. I also have a few planters that I an going to work with as well. I thanks for your input.

Mswillis5

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

In Texas you can grow okra - the dwarf plants make nice annual "bushes" with pretty flowers.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Is it too hot for artichokes? I love them as an ornamental (and food).