Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mocharoman_gw

Questions about a Dry Well

mocharoman
14 years ago

I live above a psychotic neighbor. We shared pipes underground that the builder installed to move surface water as well as down spouts from the gutters. We get a ton of water through my yard when it rains. So she hired some guy with a truck to "fix" her problem. He removed the pipe the builder installed and put us on a shared 8" pipe for our yard water. I now am restricted from getting surface water into her yard. She built up a moat for half of the backyard and the one entry point is now blocked by sandbags. The new drain her contractor installed isn't moving water like the old ones. The pipe goes 75' across her yard to empty and when it rains water her drain cannot handle the flow and water is pushed UPHILL!!! This happens during every rain of 1/2". I am able to access the end of the pipe and there is little to no pressure coming out during a large storm. The neighbor is out of her mind so I don't think I have a chance at her fixing anything.

I have been working with a Landscape Architect (who already helped with the burm/proper grading) who thinks we should create a dry well in my yard to handle all the water coming through and disconnect from her crazy system and then potentially build a burm that once water gets to her from the back of my yard it can't come back up to me through her overflowing drain.

I feel that I am in good hands, but still want some input from others who are experts in this area. In the real world how well do dry wells work? How often do they overflow and/or no longer accept water? I realize it will need to be sized properly and going to talk to a civil engineer next. Are there any other negatives I should know about with a dry well?

Link below to photos to show water issues during a recent rain.

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Here is a link that might be useful: My photos

Comments (6)