Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanngreen

need more privacy!

MeanNgreen
9 years ago

Hi all,
So we live in a very tight run hoa that does not allow fencing over 4 ' and must be open picket style do needless to say this does nothing in regards to privacy. Since we have a dog and some kiddies we put the fence up but now like to add some shrubbery or trees to give sense of privacy.

I'd like something that does eat up to much yard space and won't shed leaves but won't get too tall or take forever to grow.

Comments (10)

• catkim
    9 years ago

Acoelorrhaphe wrightii, if your temperatures generally don't go below the low 20s.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

You might consider some narrow shrubs like 'Sky Pencil' Holly or 'Skyrocket Juniper', if those grow there and tolerate the conditions. Another possibility is a tall trellis on which you grow a vine. A favorite of mine is a trellis made from chain suspended by two posts. Let the vine grow up the posts or provide twine (suspended from the chain) as a means for the vine to reach the chain. A series of posts can extend the length of the trellis. An annual vine can give quick results. A perennial vine provides long term screening. If you're worried about how the HOA will react, you could start with an 8' section and test the waters. Example in pic below...

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

duplicate deleted

{{gwi:2117901}}

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 14:33

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yea catkiI . I checked those out and sometimes we get pretty hard frosts plus those look pretty expensive :o.

Yardvark i like the trellis idea. Would have to come up with a way of making poles disappear so the third Reich (hoa) will approve it.

Any other ideas?

• cat53
    9 years ago

Paint the posts green?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

"I'd like something that doesn't eat up too much yard space and won't shed leaves but won't get too tall or take forever to grow. "

You are going to have to make trade-offs ... EVERYTHING but a fence sheds leaves.

Define "too much yard space", please.
    Define "too tall". please.
    Define "forever", please.

Exactly what do you need privacy from? Are you blocking the view INTO the yard from passersby or are you trying to block the view from the house windows and yard of some neighbors?

• nandina
    9 years ago

Sounds as though the well behaved shrub Viburnum tinus (Viburnum tynus) fits the needs described. Fairly fast grower, minimal leaf drop, evergreen, minute fragrant winter flowers, takes kindly to pruning when necessary. Most nurseries in the area should have it in stock. If possible select specimens that have a central trunk for a more upright growth.

#2 on the list to consider would be Wax-Myrtle (Myrica cerifera).
    Common to Myrtle Beach. Clean and green shrub/small tree.

• majika123
    9 years ago

We're on the lower part of this slope area in this subdivision, and we're having bad comments, gossips being spread by the neighbor next by..... they're all made up stories anyway so we'd tried not to pay attention to them. But then they male neighbor shot our garage with bb gun and threw rocks at our dog! This throwing rocks only happened when we're at work. No one's home during the day. The shots though happened when my husband and I were at the garage. We heard the pumped 7 to 8 times. We confronted him but he cussed at my hubby... wished we had the surveillance camera then. I called the Sheriff and he advices me to install cameras around our property since we're on the lower area. The bad neighbor threw a fit, and also installed cameras on their house! In their case, they don't have to since they still see us without them. Ours is to protect us and our property, not intended to harass them or anyone on the neighborhood.
    Here's my idea; since they already had their 6'ft tall fence along with their camera aimed at us, I am planning on installing posts along their fence (on our property line only) then leave the space where their green fence exposed and start our wooden board up higher than theirs so they won't be able to see us nor peek on us every time we come out from our front door or when we go to our own yard. I need your opinion too on this.....

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Red tipped photinias are my least favorite plant but I am thinking of planting some along a small stretch of new fenceline in my back horse pasture that has a house nearby. They are evergreen, grow very tall and are practically indestructible. Think I will plant eleagnus shrubs in front of them for a softer look, though they wont get as tall. In summer, the deciduous trees will fill in.

I had a neighbor closer to my house who built a nice but very big shop fairly close to my fence. I had a really tall fence built [think it was 18' but cant recall] - it was as tall as could feasibly be built and has lasted through 2 hurricanes. It does the trick! Well worth the money it cost to build it.

• bahia
    9 years ago

A couple of smaller trees towards the street with a few more shrubs dotted along the fence line might be a more pleasing privacy treatment than a continuous hedge along the fence, a design that would better complement the house. You don't say whether you want/need privacy all year round, or mostly summer. I'd be tempted to prefer something flowering and deciduous, making leaf clean-up seasonal rather than year round. If Magnolia x soulangeana do well in your area, they might be a good fit, and are certainly gorgeous in bloom and dense enough to provide screening.