Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bwalinsky

Fence Height

bwalinsky
10 years ago

Hi All,

I am hoping you can provide some guidance and opinions on a new fence we are getting installed. My wife and I have already pretty much decided on a cedar picket fence, 4" wide boards with 1.5" spaces.

The dilemma we are having now is around the height of the fence. We were originally thinking 6' due to privacy, but our neighbors have expressed some concern with this providing a boxed in feeling for their yard, and have voiced their preference for a 4' fence. I like the idea of a 4' fence, we don't have a huge yard, but I am worried about the privacy with only a 4' fence.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the height for this type of fence, does anyone have 5' fence? We are considering this as well to split the difference and maintain a little privacy. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (10)

• laag
    10 years ago

A 6' tall person can look right over a 5' fence with no effort. If the purpose of the fence is privacy, you'll need 6'. Why do you have a 1.5" gap between pickets if you want privacy?

A 4' fence is only up to my elbow and I'm not tall by any standard.

• bwalinsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response. I guess I should clarify that I don't want compound style privacy, just some friendly separation. The 1.5" gap was suggested by the fence installer. I am leaning towards a 5' foot, but will have to mock this up or something over the weekend to get a true feel for it.

I do have a great rapport with the neighbors so its not about being blocked off from them, just creating a bit of separation.

• deviant-deziner
    10 years ago

common lumber fence boards come in 6 foot lengths so you'll be paying for a fair amount of waste and additional labor.
    I'd go with the commonly acceptable height of 6 feet because you never know what the future might bring and a well constructed and designed fence will bring value to the property.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

However tall you decide, you should consider how the shadow of the new fence may affect any existing plants - especially if your neighbors will be on the north side. Anything other than lawn may no longer flower as well, grow straight, or even remain healthy if left in shadow during the spring and fall. Easily compensated for by moving or replacing plants, but nice to factor in from the start rather than facing as an unpleasant surprise later.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I, too, would be inclined toward the 6' ht. It seems counterproductive to want privacy, but not achieve it. What things are you trying to see and not see? What about making top portion scalloped or some such that it doesn't seem as "boxy."

{{gwi:54248}}

{{gwi:54249}}

• marcinde
    10 years ago

4' is ridiculous and 5' is pointless if you want privacy. Just do the 6 footer. I'd have an 8' fence along the street if I could.

As for the neighbors, whatever. We get along well with our next door neighbors but I like not having to stare at one another while we're out in our yards. Maybe I'm more pragmatic than some, but I've always taken the attitude that if I don't like what my neighbor is doing to his/her property, maybe I should've worked harder in school so I could be rich and live on 100 acres.

• bwalinsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. the 4 and 5 foot fence do work out to be a bit cheaper, but not significantly. We did look at a lattice top and ways to make it less "imposing" however they all add cost.

I'm going to do some mockups of height this weekend with string and see where it ends up. I am leaning toward the 5 or 6, but hopefully seeing a representative height will sell me in one direction.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Blake, if you think toward the future it could benefit you. You like your neighbors. But they could move and much less desirable people move in. A 6' fence lets you mow in your skivvies if you want, to have a private dinner with your wife on the patio, to entertain.

My fence is 6". I have good neighbors......so far. One has a trampoline so I lose my privacy on each leap, with the attendant "hey, Miss Rosie.".........over and over.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

We just put up a 6ft fence and had a few complaints. Because it is allowed, we didn't ask permission from neighbors. We did mention it to them numerous times but they never commented. One sort of made a face.

We had moved in last year and wanted privacy because the houses are fairly close together.

We were worried about air flow and look but it actually makes the yard look better. Sort of a backdrop for the trees and shrubs. We absolutely love it and are now considering getting a dog as we won't have to leash walk 10x a day.!

I say go for the 6ft.

Jane

• SarahCCrazyGirl
    10 years ago

For others: In my city fence heights are dictated by the city bylaws. The maximum height is 2.0m (6.56') and minimum is 1.2m (4').

I think for resale value, the higher fence is more popular. But you have to do what will work for your house and keep minimal peace with the neighbours. I would suggest some tall, narrow trees along the fence line, a bit spaced out, to create the feeling you seem to be going for between privacy and openness.