Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Dense Vegetation

Posted by hrigsby none (hrigsby@clemson.edu) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 14:00

Good afternoon everyone:

I was wondering if ya'll had any suggestions for removing dense vegetation. I'll add a photo, but it's mostly overgrown multi stemmed understory trees, woody shrubs, and various weeds. It's really dense and I was wondering if there is anything I can rent that would make this process easier.

Photobucket

It's the stuff on the left side of this photo, and there is probably a 10' x 30' area of it.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Dense Vegetation

I'd round up an arsenal of tools, several sizes of loppers, a good pruning saw, perhaps a gasoline telescoping pruner. Cut close to the ground, leaving a few inches that can be given a freshly cut surface in the spring. Don't think you'll be able to kill at this time of year. In the spring, IF you'll use herbicides, get a recommendation from Clemson to treat the multiple stumps. There may be things in that mess that you want to save.

Lovely home.

HTH, Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

o

• Posted by fori CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 17:13

See if there's poison ivy in there before you get serious. :)

o

Fine tuning the recs. a little, I would recommend getting a very sturdy lopper. The handles seem to be the weakest part. I've had Timberline 55 for a long time and they're still holding up. I broke the handle on an earlier pair after some brutal use. Of cheaper, lighter duty types I broke them all and do not buy any more. In my experience, the anvil type cutter holds up much better over time than the by-pass type. I've used the heavy duty Corona lopper but not over a long haul. It seemed very nice (not sure if handles are as durable as Timberline 55.) It's advantage is being lighter weight.

Would recommend the Corona 10" folding saw. It's sharp, cuts fast and has a long enough stroke to cut through some very stout wood. It's amazing how much growth can be quickly cleared with loppers and a saw.

3 Stars 55SS Snap Cut Anvil...

Corona Clipper 10-inch...

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 22:46

A skilled backhoe operator can remove all of it in an hour.

o

catkim has given the best advice! That would take out a ton of roots also. And you might be able to negotiate an even better price if you get a bid, then ask if it could be reduced some if he can do it when he has the time, rather than scheduled.

Wasn't thinking of backhoe - my privet, poison ivy, etc. thicket was in rear of fenced backyard, not accessible without fence removal.

o

If you want it all gone ... the backhoe or what they call a "brush hogger" - it's sort of a mobile cross between a chipper-shredder and a lawnmower. One brand is the "Brush Blazer"

The key words for searching are "brush removal"

Another possibility is this thing, which looks dangerous as hell! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in4L56ni0Lo

Here is a link that might be useful: Brush Blazer site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here