Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjcoop_gw

Help with landscaping SMALL backyard

bjcoop
15 years ago

I have a difficult space to landscape. Imagine a Capital T. The open areas under the top of the "T" are the open areas! There are 2 11x16 spaces. One space has a red Japanese Maple in the bottom half. The top of this half is dead grass due to our dog. I'll leave this side for now.... The middle is a brick sidewalk to the back fence entry.

The other half of the "T" space is the remains of a summer veggie garden and is now dirt--after cleanup. I'd like to landscape this side with possible raised bed(s)(even terracing) to house easy-care perennials or dwarf evergreens. Grasses are nice too. Any ideas, or is this too ambitious a project?

It gets full sun for half the day. And is at times during the summer quite dry.

Wish I could include a picture....

Comments (10)

• ideasshare
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I dont know T space exact,send pic here?

• karinl
    15 years ago

I think you need to tell us about the topography too - it's not clear why you're thinking raised beds, and terracing implies a slope - and what's around the space - fences, forest, cliffs...? Why exactly is this space difficult to landscape?

If it's flat, or a gradual slope, it's not too ambitious a project... for most people. Among DIYers, however, there are people who can build massive rock walls and those who can barely figure out how to put bricks around a flower bed. So as usual, the right advice here depends much more on who YOU are than on what your space is like.

Tell us more.

KarinL

• bjcoop
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I have figured out how to include an image--
    {{gwi:54333}}
    Yay!!! This is the space. I wanted to attempt the open half on the right. I could use rocks as a focal point, just don't know what direction to go: raised bed...plantings...rocks...concrete the place. :) Any ideas are much appreciated
    --bj

• ideasshare
    15 years ago

share ideas for
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg1214085821098.html?3

I guess you are zone 6. "too ambitious"-----I like,dont worry small space,can plant trees

small or big,can control tree grow scale by dirt thin rate.dont worry budget,garden plant is so

slowly.we only do some every year,but enjoy our design goal.

src="http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk80/landscapedesignchina/100_431011.jpg" border="0"

alt="Photobucket">

src="http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk80/landscapedesignchina/100_431010.jpg" border="0"

alt="Photobucket">

src="http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk80/landscapedesignchina/100_43109.jpg" border="0"

alt="Photobucket">

src="http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk80/landscapedesignchina/100_43108.jpg" border="0"

alt="Photobucket">

other ideas

RE: Help with landscaping SMALL backyard

share ideas for

I guess you are zone 6. "too ambitious"-----I like,dont worry small space,can plant trees small or big,can control tree grow scale by dirt thin rate.dont worry budget,garden plant is so slowly.we only do some every year,but enjoy our design goal.

{{gwi:54334}}

{{gwi:54335}}

{{gwi:54336}}

{{gwi:54337}}

{{gwi:54338}}

{{gwi:54339}}

{{gwi:54340}}

{{gwi:54341}}

{{gwi:54342}}

{{gwi:54343}}

{{gwi:54344}}

here link is other ideas:
    groups.myspace.com/gardenideas

No reason at all why you couldn't make a nice little ornamental garden here, whether dwarf conifers (head over to the conifers forum for a wealth of photos of plants and gardens) or the less groomed but also attractive perennial/deciduous garden.

Almost incredibly, Ideasshare has actually visualized some options for opening up your design options, in particular changing the shape of the pathway. But you don't have to go to those lengths to make the space attractive. I do think I would incorporate some hardscape to give it form; maybe also a meandering path through it - unbroken, even one side is a big space for all garden.

I'm still not quite getting a sense of whether you have a slope here or whether the space is flat. If sloped, terracing would be nice but you don't see the walls from above. Nonetheless, it breaks the space up and makes it nice to be in.

This being a back yard, are there any functional issues need to be addressed. like a compost, or do you want some privacy? Those should be laid out in advance.

I do love those glass balls (I got some in Germany when they were all the rage there) - they have to stay!! :-)

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: One conifer garden thread

• Posted by: nhbabs z4b-5a NH (My Page) on Fri, Dec 19, 08 at 10:58

It sounds like you might want to spend time thinking about how you want to use the space and what you want out of it as well as how you want it to look. Veggies? Lawn? Sitting or dining area? Main entry way to get in & outside when entering & leaving the house? Play area for kids or animals? Privacy from neighbors or city noise? Also, how much work do you want to do? Would you be willing to redo the walkway or the patio? Are you willing to build raised beds or hire someone to do work for you? Because your question is so open-ended, you may not get too many responses.

I find that looking at pictures really helps me visualize possibilities in a way I can't when simply looking at what I'm starting with. Here is a link to one designer's portfolio who has done many small urban spaces that seem to be used as outdoor sitting/dining areas. He also has written several books that are well illustrated. He's just one of many designers whose work you can look at to see what you like and to imagine if that type of design would work for how you want to use the space. Your local public library can be a great resource for garden design books as they not only have their own collections, but also probably do an interlibrary loan service that would give you access to other library's collections.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keith Davitt design portfolio

Wow! With the Holidays, I havent had a chance to check back here. WOW Ideashare. You are a magician with the photos! Lots of ideas here. Never thought of changing the shape of the bricks. Also the idea of how best to enjoy and use the backyard is important. It does need to be low maintenance. It does need to be playspace (and other) for our minpin. Will study all of these ideas. One thing, I plan to keep the gazing balls. Our minpin is stupified by them. (: (:

It does need to be low maintenance------is good idea.

Shrubs in general tend to be less maintenance than perennials for many of the reasons,no need for deadheading, dividing, staking, cutting back or cleaning up seasonally and typically require less watering once established due to wider, more extensive root systems. But to decrease maintenance even further, select those shrubs which are recognized as being fully hardy and well suited to climate and growing conditions, drought tolerant (once established), disease and pest resistant and not requiring excessive pruning to maintain health or size.
    Check with local extension office for their recommendations and visit some of better local retail nurseries in season for ideas.
    And I wouldn't necessarily want to eliminate ALL herbaceous perennials - some are quite a bit less maintenance than others. A mixed border that includes a variety of shrubs, perennials, grasses, groundcovers and even a few small trees generally will provide year long interest and color with relatively low maintenance.

Here is a link that might be useful: share other some ideas

Just to clarify -Ideasshare is apparently a Chinese forum participant who doesn't have much idea of North American culture or norms but is doing his/her best o join in here with photo manipulation. The results are bizarre but (as in this case) occasionally useful. Unfortunately, s/he has just branched out into giving written advice, which seems to be simply a compilation of plagiarized phrases that s/he probably doesn't even quite know the meaning of - not specifically thought out suggestions for you. Not that it isn't good info, but take it for what it is.

KarinL

Post a Follow-Up
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link: Return to the Landscape Design Forum

• ideasshare
    15 years ago

share ideas for

I guess you are zone 6. "too ambitious"-----I like,dont worry small space,can plant trees small or big,can control tree grow scale by dirt thin rate.dont worry budget,garden plant is so slowly.we only do some every year,but enjoy our design goal.

{{gwi:54334}}

{{gwi:54335}}

{{gwi:54336}}

{{gwi:54337}}

{{gwi:54338}}

{{gwi:54339}}

{{gwi:54340}}

{{gwi:54341}}

{{gwi:54342}}

{{gwi:54343}}

{{gwi:54344}}

here link is other ideas:
    groups.myspace.com/gardenideas

Here is a link that might be useful: One conifer garden thread

• karinl
    15 years ago

No reason at all why you couldn't make a nice little ornamental garden here, whether dwarf conifers (head over to the conifers forum for a wealth of photos of plants and gardens) or the less groomed but also attractive perennial/deciduous garden.

Almost incredibly, Ideasshare has actually visualized some options for opening up your design options, in particular changing the shape of the pathway. But you don't have to go to those lengths to make the space attractive. I do think I would incorporate some hardscape to give it form; maybe also a meandering path through it - unbroken, even one side is a big space for all garden.

I'm still not quite getting a sense of whether you have a slope here or whether the space is flat. If sloped, terracing would be nice but you don't see the walls from above. Nonetheless, it breaks the space up and makes it nice to be in.

This being a back yard, are there any functional issues need to be addressed. like a compost, or do you want some privacy? Those should be laid out in advance.

I do love those glass balls (I got some in Germany when they were all the rage there) - they have to stay!! :-)

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: Keith Davitt design portfolio

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    15 years ago

It sounds like you might want to spend time thinking about how you want to use the space and what you want out of it as well as how you want it to look. Veggies? Lawn? Sitting or dining area? Main entry way to get in & outside when entering & leaving the house? Play area for kids or animals? Privacy from neighbors or city noise? Also, how much work do you want to do? Would you be willing to redo the walkway or the patio? Are you willing to build raised beds or hire someone to do work for you? Because your question is so open-ended, you may not get too many responses.

I find that looking at pictures really helps me visualize possibilities in a way I can't when simply looking at what I'm starting with. Here is a link to one designer's portfolio who has done many small urban spaces that seem to be used as outdoor sitting/dining areas. He also has written several books that are well illustrated. He's just one of many designers whose work you can look at to see what you like and to imagine if that type of design would work for how you want to use the space. Your local public library can be a great resource for garden design books as they not only have their own collections, but also probably do an interlibrary loan service that would give you access to other library's collections.

• bjcoop
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! With the Holidays, I havent had a chance to check back here. WOW Ideashare. You are a magician with the photos! Lots of ideas here. Never thought of changing the shape of the bricks. Also the idea of how best to enjoy and use the backyard is important. It does need to be low maintenance. It does need to be playspace (and other) for our minpin. Will study all of these ideas. One thing, I plan to keep the gazing balls. Our minpin is stupified by them. (: (:

Here is a link that might be useful: share other some ideas

• ideasshare
    15 years ago

It does need to be low maintenance------is good idea.

Shrubs in general tend to be less maintenance than perennials for many of the reasons,no need for deadheading, dividing, staking, cutting back or cleaning up seasonally and typically require less watering once established due to wider, more extensive root systems. But to decrease maintenance even further, select those shrubs which are recognized as being fully hardy and well suited to climate and growing conditions, drought tolerant (once established), disease and pest resistant and not requiring excessive pruning to maintain health or size.
    Check with local extension office for their recommendations and visit some of better local retail nurseries in season for ideas.
    And I wouldn't necessarily want to eliminate ALL herbaceous perennials - some are quite a bit less maintenance than others. A mixed border that includes a variety of shrubs, perennials, grasses, groundcovers and even a few small trees generally will provide year long interest and color with relatively low maintenance.

• karinl
    15 years ago

Just to clarify -Ideasshare is apparently a Chinese forum participant who doesn't have much idea of North American culture or norms but is doing his/her best o join in here with photo manipulation. The results are bizarre but (as in this case) occasionally useful. Unfortunately, s/he has just branched out into giving written advice, which seems to be simply a compilation of plagiarized phrases that s/he probably doesn't even quite know the meaning of - not specifically thought out suggestions for you. Not that it isn't good info, but take it for what it is.

KarinL

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County