Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minflick

Planting strip outside fenceline

minflick
11 years ago

We're on the western side of the road, and the dirt outside the fence gets ONLY morning sun, until noon. After that it's bright but shaded for a few hours, and than it's darker shade as the evening approaches. In the summer, it's HOT out there in the morning, and the dirt is rock hard. There's about 18" of viable dirt between fence and asphalt. Any actual planting would really need to be done now, when the rains have made it possible for me to dig actual holes in the ground...

On the sunniest end of the fence line, I've got some prolific bright yellow irises, which will spread to be solid in a few years, going by their past performance in other locations. The rest of the fence line gets more shade as there are more trees on the other side of the road, and I'm in the redwoods, so those trees are TALL... Of course, where it's shadier it's also not so brutally hot. What else could I plant out there? I've done some weeding, and not much but grass has grown out there in the two Springs we've been here. I spread poppy seeds, and other assorted flower seeds last summer, but nothing that looks 'flowery' has popped at all, and as you can see from the picture, grass has come up.

What can else I plant out there besides the irises? Could I put in some ground cover roses? I can't put full sized shrubs out there; there isn't space and people do occasionally walk out there. It needs to tolerate the summer morning heat, but also the afternoon shade.

If this should be in a different forum, tell me and I'll post it there.

Thanks,

Melinda

Comments (2)