Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pro320

remove a tree and plant a new one

Pro320
9 years ago

I plant to remove a cherry tree from my front yard and plant bloodgood japanese maple instead.
The cherry is too close to the house.
My initial plan was was replace it with a smaller tree but now i think i will have the same problem in few years if i plant the JP.

please take a look at my plan and tell me what you think.

thanks

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I don't think I care for your proposed location, but there is not enough information given. Please return to the EXACT SAME spot where you took the above picture ... aim the camera right, and then left to show the flanking space. The new pictures should overlap the existing picture.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

whoever convinced you the old one had to go.. was a genius.. lol

i think i called it a blackeye in front of a gorgeous house ...

you have a large lawn ... you are still siting the new tree too close ... plus.. it slopes down away from the house.. which gives you options ...

and getting it further away is how.. you reduce your worries about it growing too large.. too fast ....

typo??? .... whats a JP ... did you mean JM .????

get a latin name of a tree, including the culitvar name [the part in quotes]... and add .. ANNUAL GROWTH RATE ... and you can learn.. ABOUT how fast a tree grows ... see link as an example ...

and understand.. there are probably thousands of name JMs ... of all size.. growth rates and colors ... so when you just speak of such generically ... you will be hard pressed to find any good answers.. because you cant.. w/o being more specific ....

you will probably find .... and trust me its very micro climate affected ... that the cherry will grow 2 to 4 feet ... where a maple only 1 to 3 ... and IF!!! i am correct [i am doing this off the cuff right this minute] ... then you cant opt for a SLOWER GROWING tree .... which is the bottom line.. of how you choose one.. that stays smaller.. longer ...

you MIGHT get more tree suggestions in the tree forum .... and maybe even the shrub forum.. as some of those can be pruned into tree shape ... you just never know.. where you will find the answer ... so dont be shy about trying other forums .....

finally .. the sooner you get rid of the old one.. the faster you will have a clearer understanding of your whole facade.. and that might help in siting the new ... and with that lawn.. you might think about two ...

good luck.. ken

Here is a link that might be useful: and note two things... MOST size estimates are at 10 years .. and can double in 20 .... and that if you find a size estimate ... you can divide it by ten.. to ball park annual growth ....

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

check out the link.. to learn about the rich diversity of JMs ...

mailed to your home at the appropriate planting time ... [ask in the tree forum how to plant.. when the time comes]

please... do NOT rely on what bigboxstore can offer... if you want to make a real statement ..

heck.. you could probably put 30 prime specimens out there.. and not have one grow over ten feet.. int he coming decades ...

i have ordered from CK ... as have many of the peeps in the conifer forum... high marks all around ...

and one thing for sure.. there is no instant gratification with size.. and trees.. unless you going to spend thousands for a professional installation .... go small.. do it yourself... save money.. and go rare ... and when you start small.. you add a lot of years before it gets too big ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Pro320
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken.
    I took your advice about the cherry. You are right it's a tree it will keep growing and I can't try to prune it small anymore.
    The japanese maple I want to plant is Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' it's on my driveway now and it's a big tree (about 15 feet, see the picture).
    I need to plant it ASPA. It's painful to see this tree in a pot.
    Tomorrow I will take a picture like Yardvaak said so you can see a bigger picture. Basically on the right side it's my driveway and than another strip of grass on a slope.

• Pro320
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Adding panoramic view of the house.
    you can see itâÂÂs a corner lot.
    The house is facing east and start to get sun early in the morning.
    I can plant the "bloodgood" JM also on the right slop but it will require building some kind of terrace or small retaining wall.
    I already planted one in the back yard so back yard is not such a good option.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

A. The river birch is going to become massive and farther away from the house (off of the corner) is going to be a better place for it. If you're going to live in the house an appreciable length of time, I'd start a new one and remove the existing.

B. If the existing river birch remains, the limb marked in green with the red x should be removed ... before it becomes a significant part of the canopy.

C. is a 15' height multi-trunk tree at maturity. (Dwarf burning bush, camellia, etc.)

D. The Jap maple. (This quarter-circle bed would be larger than the other one so the larger tree can be a little farther from the drive.)

• Pro320
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Yardvaark.
    ItâÂÂs very good plan I wish my river birch was in spot A.
    Maybe I can plant a new tree on A and wait for it to grow about 25' height before I take the river birch out.
    I won't be river birch because my wife don't like this tree (she call it "The leper tree"). I think its beautiful tree but I don't like all the leaves and small branches in the summer. And the surface roots running to the middle of my lawn.

About B. I'm worried this limb is already significant part of the canopy. I prune the birch heavily in the last year (you can see in the first pictures). I will take another look today when I get home.
    About D. IâÂÂm worried the spot is too sunny for the JM. Summer in Georgia can get brutal.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"I'm worried this limb is already significant part of the canopy." The tree is going to get much larger; the limb is minor relative to what the canopy will become. There may be a slight "hole" after removing it now, but limbs above will fill it as they lengthen, become heavier and hang lower. Fixable now, not easily later. In general, it's better to worry about the wood structure and forget about the foliage ... it usually takes care of itself.

Insofar as "swapping" out the river birch for a new tree, it would be best to get rid of the river birch (each year of delay adds to the difficulty and expense) and replace it with the largest new tree the budget will allow. Trees that are well taken care of usually grow faster than people expect. It wouldn't be all that long before the situation is improved much beyond what's there now.

• Pro320
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree this limb is ugly. I took a closer picture and you can see its about quarter of the canopy. Maybe I can remove it in two phase (see marks on the picture) and let the tree fill over one year before complete removal.
    I expect the tree to grow much faster in next years because I started to water it this summer. It have very low drought tolerance and show significant leaf lost in the summer after a week or two without rain.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"Maybe I can remove it in two phases..." Other than for making your fear more tolerable, I don't see the point of it. I would just cut it off and be done with it. It would be little time before it goes unnoticed as other branches grow into the space. From the latest view, I see there is an equivalent limb starting at the same height going in the opposite direction from the left-most trunk. I'd get rid of that one, too.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I find it curious that you want to replace the Birch your wife hates with a new Birch your wife can hate. I would use some other tree. I do agree with you about letting a new tree get a start before removing the existing tree.
    Regarding the Bloodgood, everywhere I read says it can take sun. I don't rely on printed information. You should ask a nurseryman or arborist whether it can take the raging Georgia sun.