Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdez1

Need advice on lawn/shade trees for new build

jdez
9 years ago

Hello all,
I am in zone 8 in SW Louisiana. We just moved in to a newly built house and have the typical red mud and sand yard. I need some guidance. My plan is to plant St Augustine just around the perimeter of the house itself and then seed the rest of the yard (it is over an acre) with some other type of grass. Can San Augustine grass be put down now or do I have to wait until Spring? Also, what type of grass should I plant in the rest of the yard that is on the cheap but will help with erosion and control the amount of dirt brought in to the house? I have no trees at all. When should trees be planted? I am thinking I will probably plant about six nuttall oaks and two or three live oaks. Can you suggest another type of hardwood? I want to plant something that will provide a little bit of shade/privacy in about 5-10 years. Let me know if you need any further info. I don't know what type of dirt we have but right now it is covered with what we call bitterweeds (not sure what their real name is). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz