Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for lighting for this backyard

Posted by glaswegian 5b, Ont (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 15:24

I don't intend to dig into the ground for wiring, so no suggestions regarding that. I am told that there are 12v lights that I can hook up together like christmas lights, that spike into the ground, that will really bright up the backyard ( kind of like floodlights ) with 1 end going into an outlet?

I have a Lowes and Home Depot, so that is where I'll be looking to get the lights from, any suggestions of types from your experience or that you own or have seen?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/leoville/IMG_2633.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/leoville/IMG_2624.jpg

cheers

Mick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for lighting for this backyard

There are a few houses in our development that have used these. I'm not a fan personally. Strung in a row, the lights look like an airport runway. (The homes near me that have them also tend to have other things like poorly installed brick edgers and lawn ornaments from Lowe's in the yards and the result is Clutter.)

o

No reason to suppose the OP will install these in a row.

Nice backyard. You might look at all the options available for mounting. Some attached to the fence would offer nice downlighting.

Let us know what you find!
Rosie

o

dsb22...so what does your backyard or front look like then?

o

Posting those photos was a good idea.
It gave me an idea of what you have to work with and the elements that you have in your yard.
As I understand it, you want to 'bright up the back yard'.
My question is why ?
Normally when I prepare lighting plans for homeowners that have a hot tub in their back yard the preferred look and feel is for privacy, not high lighting.

The only lighting that is usually specified is for level changes ( at the steps ) and for perimeter mood lighting and accent lighting, example : on a large specimen tree or sculpture.

I didn't see any trees of substantial size but did notice a bird bath, which could use an up light with a very low watt lamp.
Your hedge could probably take a grazing light, ( an up light placed close to its subject for dramatic shadowing ) but to tell you the truth, I think it is a bit unnecessary.
From the look of it, there really doesn't seem to be much in the way to accent out in the softscape and from a practical privacy point of view , one wouldn't usually want to high light a hot tub area.

Most all low 12 volt systems that are 'hooked together like Christmas lights' will will have a 12 gauge wire that for safety's sake, should be slightly buried under ground. It's no more work than planting a relatively small plant in the ground and it will be safer than having loose wire on top of the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here