Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
technoduckling_gw

Ideas for sunny corner backyard (our 1st home!) :)

technoduckling
11 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on the forum for a while now, and I'm happy to make my first official gardening post because we finally got our very own backyard! I'd really appreciate any help/ideas in design. :)

The location is in the South SF Bay area, Zone 9, the backyard corner receives bright sun throughout the day (has a tendency to dry out, south side I think). It used to be covered with bushes/shrubs but the previous owner cut them down, so it's just a bare corner fence covered with wood chips. The yard is right in front of the kitchen window. We recently replaced the front half of the yard with a new lawn, and cleared out an adjacent small herb/vegetable garden (right in front of the kitchen). At the far end of the backyard corner is an ugly telephone pole (on the neighbor's side, right next to the fence) that I really want to hide with a tall tree because that's the first thing you see looking out the kitchen window. I love gingko trees and was looking at the "Princeton Sentry" (male) variety because of its narrow/columnar shape so it wouldn't cut into the power lines. However, I heard from someone that I should NOT plant a gingko tree there because it will rob all the soil nutrients from surrounding plant beds/lawn/veg garden. Is that true?
I'll post some pictures of the yard with my notes as soon as I get home. :)

So excited! :)

Comments (2)